PDA

View Full Version : golden charter

anneoctober
05-Aug-07, 22:46
I've just been perusing this guide, and got to wondering if any Orgers have special requests on how their funeral should be planned. Would it be private, would it be religious, music of your own choice or the traditional path with psalms or hymns? Flowers, donations to charity?
I've come to realise that it's as fraught with difficulties as organising a wedding. Since I've been trying to sort out such questions in my head, I'd be interested in your comments

johno
05-Aug-07, 22:49
only request i have is that they make sure im dead before they bury me

johno
05-Aug-07, 22:51
I've just been perusing this guide, and got to wondering if any Orgers have special requests on how their funeral should be planned. Would it be private, would it be religious, music of your own choice or the traditional path with psalms or hymns? Flowers, donations to charity?
I've come to realise that it's as fraught with difficulties as organising a wedding. Since I've been trying to sort out such questions in my head, I'd be interested in your comments
come to think on it , your gettin just a bit morbid all of a sudden. :confused :(

jsherris
05-Aug-07, 23:06

Wow.... I think it's nice to be able to talk openly about these sort of plans - my Mum passed away in 2005 & used to get upset if I broached the subject... the result was that her partner couldn't stay in their council home, there were no life or indeed death policies, we really weren't too sure what she wanted, or where she wanted it to happen...... it was very sad.. and very very expensive. She was only 63, but she knew she wouldn't make her 3 score & 10.

Me, on the other hand.... I would like a civil funeral as I'm not in the least religious - I would like everyone to wear something yellow... I would like to be cremated, & I'd like an eco-friendly corrugated cardboard coffin - black with a HUGE yellow smiley on the top!
Flowers: If anyone feels the need, please make them freesias, in bunches rather than wreaths
Music: I'll be missing you by faith Evans/P Diddy & maybe something by Mandy Patinkn as well (don't ask!)
& then off to a pub somewhere for a bit of a booze-up then home to argue over who gets what jewellery, etc etc......
The only thing they're not allowed to argue over is my Mum's Blue Mountain Pottery panther... that goes to little Leah - full stop!

I'm quite happy to chat about the big event, my 3 girls already know what I would like & I think in the not too distant future, Andy & I will arrange the payments for the funerals as well.
His Mum (87) has everything in place & was very relieved that she had sorted it all out - i don't think she trusts us to do it all 'her way'.... meaning that she's even left the plans & the contact numbers for the cars, caterers, florist & all!
Bless her - at least we shall have a decent mourning period for her, because when MY Mum went, it took me the whole 8 days interim between death & funeral to sort her financial affairs AND clean her house from top to bottom - and I found it hard to forgive the fact that she knew she was poorly but never once thought about what would happen to those folks she left behind.

anneoctober
05-Aug-07, 23:47
come to think on it , your gettin just a bit morbid all of a sudden. :confused :(
It's the thought of all those spam sandwiches you'll be ordering...

NickInTheNorth
06-Aug-07, 08:33
I want to be disposed of as simply as possible. I really don't care what happens after I'm dead. It won't matter to me. Be good if they could just stick me in the wheelie bin and dump me - I don't have a problem with organic material in landfill sites :D

And if there should be any money left behind, well I think a very fine party is in order!

Ricco
06-Aug-07, 08:40
I would like my ashes to be scattered off the cliffs at Holborn Head, where I used to sit for hours watching the birds and the sea. Music? Something by ELO or Freiheit, maybe. Service - an outdoor one with no crying permitted (as if!) and a big knees-up afterward. Brass plaque on a small monument on the cliff with something nice on it - like "He's behind you!" 'cos that's my sense of humour. :D

Ash
06-Aug-07, 08:44
I wouldnt want my funeral to be morbid, no black, no sad music.
Dont want people to be sad, want them to celebrate my life.
Any money left will go to my children:D

Victoria
06-Aug-07, 10:29
I'd like a civil / spiritual service (not religious) Buddhist readings and a willow coffin.

I haven't decided on burial or cremation just yet as i think there are pro's and cons to both.

In an ideal world I'd like a sky burrial in the Himalayas but I doubt that will happen!

Also what do you guys think about partners meeting someone new after you've gone?

People always say that they would want they're other half to be happy but I've told Michael that i'll bloody haunt him till his dying day if he so much as looks at another woman!![lol] (it's an ongoing joke of ours)

johno
06-Aug-07, 10:51
It's the thought of all those spam sandwiches you'll be ordering...
Ah, there wont be any SPAM sarnies at my wake Anne. lobster ,salmon & other goodies but no Spam. and i do have one other request i want R.I.P. as my epitaph. R. eturn I. f P. ossible. :cool:

northener
06-Aug-07, 12:55
I'm not going to turn up for my funeral.

johno
06-Aug-07, 13:22
I'm not going to turn up for my funeral.
And let down all those mourner,s . Naw you would,nt Would you. [lol] [lol]

lassieinfife
06-Aug-07, 14:15
I want ti be cremated...purple dye added to the smoke and everyone wearing something lilac......no religeon would be happy with the Sally Army doing the service, and a great big knees up afterwards:lol:

karia
06-Aug-07, 14:23
Hi Folks,

I don't want a funeral.

A wee notice in the paper indicating that I have 'stopped'

my OH and best friend can take me to the crem in a Tesco trolley, after all I spend most of my life there, so it seems fitting that they should provide the transport and after all....Every Little Helps!;)

Karia

Victoria
06-Aug-07, 14:27
Hi Folks,

I don't want a funeral.

A wee notice in the paper indicating that I have 'stopped'

my OH and best friend can take me to the crem in a Tesco trolley, after all I spend most of my life there, so it seems fitting that they should provide the transport and after all....Every Little Helps!;)

Karia

Hahahahaha!:lol:

horseman
06-Aug-07, 20:48
Ah, there wont be any SPAM sarnies at my wake Anne. lobster ,salmon & other goodies but no Spam. and i do have one other request i want R.I.P. as my epitaph. R. eturn I. f P. ossible. :cool:

Best one yet,like northener's one too.If my lot don't do the full (dar'ent say monty)lot,I'll come back an haunt them!"!

anneoctober
06-Aug-07, 20:55
Best one yet,like northener's one too.If my lot don't do the full (dar'ent say monty)lot,I'll come back an haunt them!"!
Does this mean my lovely orgers, that we believe in reincarnation? Or just want to scare our family & friends into saying nice things about us, once we 've passed over? ;)
Thanks for your input and keep them coming. At least one or two of my ideas are not as "way out" as i had thought ! :lol:

karia
06-Aug-07, 21:14
Does this mean my lovely orgers, that we believe in reincarnation? Or just want to scare our family & friends into saying nice things about us, once we 've passed over? # #
Thanks for your input and keep them coming. At least one or two of my ideas are not as "way out" as i had thought !

I really hope not!

This time around has been tiring enough.:)

karia

anneoctober
06-Aug-07, 21:17
I really hope not!

This time around has been tiring enough.:)

karia
Where's your spirit, Karia ?? [lol]

*Martin*
06-Aug-07, 21:57
I would like a very sad funeral highlighting how I was nothing short of PERFECT! Would want EVERYONE in tears then all of a sudden the slushy songs that are getting played get cut off and The minister says "Now will you all rise for Martins favourite song" and the birdy dance comes on!

Can you imagine everyone crying and dancing!

Perfect!

scorrie
06-Aug-07, 21:58
As Woody Allen said “I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.”

karia
06-Aug-07, 22:06
Where's your spirit, Karia ??

Sapped Anne, and hoping it's not due an encore!:roll:

The only good spirits are bottled ones!;)

karia

anneoctober
08-Aug-07, 00:24
I would like a very sad funeral highlighting how I was nothing short of PERFECT! Would want EVERYONE in tears then all of a sudden the slushy songs that are getting played get cut off and The minister says "Now will you all rise for Martins favourite song" and the birdy dance comes on!

Can you imagine everyone crying and dancing!

Perfect!
This is great Martin, one of the songs I'm having played will be by Chumbawumba - I get knocked down, but I get up again...:lol:
Think that should have the family on the edge of their seats........;)

crayola
08-Aug-07, 00:30
As Woody Allen said “I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.”Don't worry scorrie, I'll be there for you and I'll make sure you're there on time too. ;)

Or as you would say, ;o)

Lolabelle
08-Aug-07, 02:39
I want to be cremated and I want everyone to have party to celebrate my life. No mourning allowed.
I would like to have Dave made into a diamond so I could have him set in a ring to wear. But I doubt he would think of doing something like that. I should put it in my will that he has to do the same with me!! [lol]

thefugitive1993
08-Aug-07, 10:40
On the one hand, I don't like the thought of life going on without me. Surely no-one would want to anyway!

Realistically though, I share the surprising (to me) view of almost all posters. No black, groovy sounds, some friends and a party.

Errogie
09-Aug-07, 19:54
I always thought it was kind of odd that its going to be the one party that's for you but you can't enjoy it so to speak.

Recently overcome by a desire to make matters simple for our offspring I thought that I would buy a plot in the local cemetery if only to avoid paying a fee to the lawyers or undertakers for doing so. Imagine my surprise when Highland Council said that they can't sell anything six months ahead of a death!

I was looking forward to having some pleasure from owning this bit of real estate a few years before occupation, I mean what did they think I was going to do, turn it into an allotment? Actually that might not be such a bad idea as the area round about it is likely to be well fertilised. When I get their answer in writing it will be one for our finest councillors to get their teeth into.

Finally, the smartest idea I heard was of someone who bought two back to back lairs so that he could get by with one stone and have an inscription on both sides!

anneoctober
09-Aug-07, 20:20
I always thought it was kind of odd that its going to be the one party that's for you but you can't enjoy it so to speak.

Recently overcome by a desire to make matters simple for our offspring I thought that I would buy a plot in the local cemetery if only to avoid paying a fee to the lawyers or undertakers for doing so. Imagine my surprise when Highland Council said that they can't sell anything six months ahead of a death!

I was looking forward to having some pleasure from owning this bit of real estate a few years before occupation, I mean what did they think I was going to do, turn it into an allotment? Actually that might not be such a bad idea as the area round about it is likely to be well fertilised. When I get their answer in writing it will be one for our finest councillors to get their teeth into.

Finally, the smartest idea I heard was of someone who bought two back to back lairs so that he could get by with one stone and have an inscription on both sides!
Many thanks for the great laugh you've given me ! The good old Highland council strikes again, it must be a good omen for you though.... you obviously did n't sound as you were "popping off" any time soon or at least within next six months :eek: I wonder if that guy was a MacLeod....could have been my hubby.....[lol]

bluelady
09-Aug-07, 20:56
thats ridiculas, my dad pre brought his spot, but that was down south. perhaps they do think your planning a mini allotment. :lol:

Thumper
09-Aug-07, 21:09
Errogie, you could always ask the council to prove that you won't die in the next 6 months...that should give them something to think about :) NOt that I am saying you would die in next 6 months but how can anyone know when they are going to die?If they cant prove you are not going to die in next 6 months how can they refuse to sell you a plot?Then just to be bad if they do sell you one I would threaten to put a shed on it :D (only joking about the shed bit!!!)

anneoctober
10-Aug-07, 12:27
Well the word is out Orgers....Today I received in the post , details of the "Dignity" funeral plan, with a message on the rear of envelope, stating that if this letter had arrived during or shortly after bereavement, then NOT to open and return to them, and they would not contact you (or the family presumably ) again. Maybe some of you would be offended by this unsolicited mail, but for me, it's choice of a service that we will all require at sometime in the distant future. The Golden Charter ,I actually enquired about personally, this is the first time I've received this sort of information. What do you think Orgers ? Are we becoming more open about this delicate issue? OR is Johno determined that I do not provide SPAM sandwiches at my "Farewell Party"?!:D

scorrie
11-Aug-07, 20:48
Don't worry scorrie, I'll be there for you and I'll make sure you're there on time too. ;)

Or as you would say, ;o)

If you knew how to use your time machine as well as I do, you would know that I actually outlive you by 13 years, write your biography and see it become a bestseller under the title "The Little Book of The Sad Obsessive"

Till the next time you interrupt a thread with your tedious musings, I bid you farewell sweet child. ;o)