PDA

View Full Version : County Show

johndy
16-Jul-05, 17:53
What did everyone think of the show to-day? I thought the the flower, Industrial and WRI tents were to the usual high standard, but the rest of the show was very poor compaired with other years.

Riffman
16-Jul-05, 17:54
I thought it was not bad considering the weather.

Mr P Cannop
16-Jul-05, 19:02
how was the weather in wick today ??

katarina
16-Jul-05, 20:21
the venison burgers made up for the downturn in weather later ibn the day.

bandite
17-Jul-05, 00:23
tHE SHOW WAS A WASTE OF MONEY six pounds to get in a few tractors on display and the rest of the trade stands were Charity shops or clothes stands.There was no main display in the ring like there was years ago.
It is time the show commitee got things sorted and got younger people onto the commitee with fresh ideas.
The show people should now think about spending on the show ground and get a decent park with paths laid out ,to do this they should have the show in wick every year as it is in the town centre ,by spending on the ground they will be investing for the future,if not the show will die [lol] ,as people will not spend money to see the rubbish that was the show today. :roll:

Fran
17-Jul-05, 02:20
can anyone tell me if the SSPCA goes round the show to check on animals in the stall, like the cattle??
also is the same done to check on dogs at the side shows???Is it all watched to make sure that animals in pens are not being illtreated?

neepnipper
17-Jul-05, 08:54
I didn't think the show was as good as last time I went 3 years ago in Thurso.

£3.00 for parking was a rip off (especially when you could park in Somerfield for free) and the charge wasn't shown on the sign on the main road so by the time you got down to where you pay you had no choice but to pay the money (single track road so couldn't get out once you'd gone down it).

There were no exit signs to get out of the parking in the field, we drove round in circles trying to find a way out!

Would be better if the display ring was central and the stalls set around it, but hey, I suppose they did their best! :lol:

Doolally
17-Jul-05, 16:34
It's a pity the weather was so poor but otherwise I quite enjoyed the show and it makes a nice change having something different to do on a Saturday.

I also thought the entrance fee and parking was a bit steep though.

Bobinovich
17-Jul-05, 17:51
Yeah I was not happy at the entry or car costs - £6 is way over the top for what the show is. We were lucky that our kids are under school age or else we'd have been forking out another £4 or so on top of the £15 we were charged.

Riddikulus!

CFM
18-Jul-05, 08:27
We at Caithness FM had a great day at the show, from our point of view it was the best yet. We would like to thank everyone who supported us and took part in our mini competitions. Both the other stall holders and the public were very friendly and everyone seemed to just want to have fun.

thanks again.

p.s I don't see the logic in the suggestion that money be spent on the show ground to make it a permanent thing - surely the land belongs to a farm not to the organisers of the show

veritas
18-Jul-05, 11:32
The riverside show ground belongs to the Highland Council

The parks to the rear belong to the Church of Scotland

jay
18-Jul-05, 14:01
doesn't matter who owns it - it is not up to the county show people to do anything with the land surely, if it is owned by the Council it must be used for other things as well as the show which is after all only once every two years or even if it was to stay in Wick once a year. The ground was fine on Saturday, my husband and I were there and enjoyed the day. Thanks to the organisers for putting in so much voluntary work.

Every event mentioned on this board in recent times has come in for some form of critisism - let's not forget that all these shows etc are all voluntary and people put a grat deal of time and effort into organising them for us - and probably a fair bit of thier own money as well - so please lets see some more positive attitudes instead of putting people down

golach
18-Jul-05, 14:57
From what I have seen of the Photos on the main CCWS page and the positive comments in this theme, the show seemed to be well attended, and had a miriad of topics, that all good country shows usually have.
So whats with the negativity

katarina
18-Jul-05, 15:24
Yeah I was not happy at the entry or car costs - £6 is way over the top for what the show is. We were lucky that our kids are under school age or else we'd have been forking out another £4 or so on top of the £15 we were charged.

Riddikulus!

for goodness sake! It's only once a year! An you could have parked in front of somerfields and walked across! I for one enjoyed it and so did the kids!

rainbow
18-Jul-05, 21:39
I enjoyed the show and it is the first time I have been at it in years. I went early at 10.30 and had a good look round the tents, in peace and quiet - it was a pleasure. My only criticsm was the fast food suppliers who I believe are the only people who can sell food so no competition- £4.00 for a steak roll and £2.50 for a burger roll - bet they had a good profit on the day - saw the locals coming!!

Bobinovich
18-Jul-05, 21:58

Riddikulus!

for goodness sake! It's only once a year! An you could have parked in front of somerfields and walked across! I for one enjoyed it and so did the kids!

OK so we could have saved £3 for the car, but £6 for each adult is still way OTT. In fact if I'd realised we would be directed to park so far up the car park field then I'd have suggested Somerfields. However, with 2 young bairns we decided to park as close as possible as we knew they'd be doing a fair bit of walking around anyway.

Don't get me wrong, we all enjoyed ourselves on the day and it's alright saying that it's only once a year, but the summer holidays are long and there are many events we want to take our kids to. Eventually funding does become an issue.

goldenguernsey
19-Jul-05, 01:55
Hi, have been looking at all the pictures for the County Show, seemed like a good turn out and a good day was had by all. Just wondered if you ever have classes for dairy goats up there? We will soon be resident near Lybster and have pedigree dairy goats, British Saanen and Golden Guernseys ( Rare Breed ) We have entered for the Black Isle show and Forfar, these two will take place after we move up. We are truly looking forward to living in your area and excited about being a productive part of the community. :)

laguna2
19-Jul-05, 09:05
Hi, have been looking at all the pictures for the County Show, seemed like a good turn out and a good day was had by all. Just wondered if you ever have classes for dairy goats up there? We will soon be resident near Lybster and have pedigree dairy goats, British Saanen and Golden Guernseys ( Rare Breed ) We have entered for the Black Isle show and Forfar, these two will take place after we move up. We are truly looking forward to living in your area and excited about being a productive part of the community. :)

Best of luck to you. Hope you settle in quickly and enjoy living in our lovely county!