PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Gala

Gogglebox
05-Aug-07, 22:37
Anyone any feedback on Thurso Galas first couple of days

Fantoosh
05-Aug-07, 23:04
I thought the gala was brilliant. it was the first time i have dressed up and collected. it was great, cant wait till next year. Im upset that i never got my picture on here though :~(

Looking forward to the beach party on wednesday night too.:)

grumpyhippo
06-Aug-07, 00:04
Here's some pics from the parade..............
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0008a-1.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0004.jpg

grumpyhippo
06-Aug-07, 00:09
and some more
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0021.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0025-1.jpg

Torvaig
06-Aug-07, 00:43
Great selection as usual GH......well done!

Mr P Cannop
06-Aug-07, 07:01
did any 1 get any video of the pipe band and any other things ??

Ash
06-Aug-07, 08:41
the floats this year were good but there just wasnt many, my dad said he remember when there used to be 21, there just doesnt seem to be a huge interest anymore. The collectors on foot were very good aswell!

Loafer
06-Aug-07, 12:31
the floats this year were good but there just wasnt many, my dad said he remember when there used to be 21, there just doesnt seem to be a huge interest anymore. The collectors on foot were very good aswell!

I seem to recall 36 floats one year, around late 80,s/early 90's. Has my age frazzled my brain or do some others remember this?

The Loafer

Bobinovich
06-Aug-07, 13:12
36 :eek:, I dunno about that Loafer. That's about the time I was doing my apprenticeship and was involved with my works float, but I don't remember there ever being that many. However mind is a bit alcohol soaked hazy from those days so I could be wrong

Victoria
06-Aug-07, 14:11
the floats look amazing! I'd be proud to be a member of a community like this.

plumber
06-Aug-07, 16:35
How many floats were there, and how many came from THURSO

Ash
06-Aug-07, 16:49
i think there was 5 maybe 6 and one was from wick

Loafer
06-Aug-07, 16:53
36 :eek:, I dunno about that Loafer. That's about the time I was doing my apprenticeship and was involved with my works float, but I don't remember there ever being that many. However mind is a bit alcohol soaked hazy from those days so I could be wrong

Snap with the apprenticeship! Suspect it could have been 18 but along with a bottle of vodka looked and sounded like 36 LOL!!

The Loafer

plumber
06-Aug-07, 16:56
Someone said that two were from Castletown

Victoria
06-Aug-07, 16:59
Thurso, Wick, Castletown - makes no difference to me. In face i'd be even prouder for not only being in 1 great community but having the opportunity to link together with some equaly great communities....

Buttercup
06-Aug-07, 18:33
Not pointing the finger at yourself in any way Bobinovich, but it was said that was a lot of the problem with the Gala in the past. Every year the prizes always went to the apprents so there wasn't the incentive for others. I know it's not all about prizes but small groups just hadn't the money or time to compete with them.

Bobinovich
06-Aug-07, 18:54
No offence taken Buttercup - in many ways I agree. The first year we entered we were given carte blanche to use anything we wanted from site so naturally anything went. We used the best of stuff and it must have been the most expensive float ever - especially when you add up the time we were all allowed to work on it. We won a decent prize and promptly used it for a piss up!!!

The next year we were well curtailed and only allowed to use stuff which was surplus to requirements, had to do most of the work in our lunch hour, and the float ended up as a bit of a dogs dinner TBH. We were also warned by management that any prize money had to be returned to site for donation to a suitable charity but we never even won anything!

Ah thost heady hazy days - hard to believe that was almost 20 years ago :eek:

saba
06-Aug-07, 19:17
Floats were amazing however can anyone tell me why the pipe band kept stopping so often?

Mr P Cannop
06-Aug-07, 20:04
they stoped for drinks

Gogglebox
06-Aug-07, 20:57
No offence taken Buttercup - in many ways I agree. The first year we entered we were given carte blanche to use anything we wanted from site so naturally anything went. We used the best of stuff and it must have been the most expensive float ever - especially when you add up the time we were all allowed to work on it. We won a decent prize and promptly used it for a piss up!!!

The next year we were well curtailed and only allowed to use stuff which was surplus to requirements, had to do most of the work in our lunch hour, and the float ended up as a bit of a dogs dinner TBH. We were also warned by management that any prize money had to be returned to site for donation to a suitable charity but we never even won anything!

Ah thost heady hazy days - hard to believe that was almost 20 years ago :eek:

I remember that floats Bob and you are bang on the money
The float was rubbish when we were forced to do it in out own time

None of the apprentices actually ever wanted to do it at all but were made to do it and were told what the hilariously topical theme would be
Always picked by somene who hadnt a clue and had had a humour bypass

Although i do remember the secret was always to make what ever it was big so we could get plenty drink hidden in it!!

Jeemag_USA
06-Aug-07, 21:37
Is that pussy cat on the top right Wendy Blackwood (nee Miller)???

thirsaloon
06-Aug-07, 22:06
I never made it down to the gala due to other reasons but everyone I have spoken to so far enjoyed it. The Knock Out on Saturday seems to have gone down a treat from what I have heard, and it was excellent that the weather held out for both days. Bit of a shame that the weather has turned for the worse these past couple of days!

Good on the Thurso Town Improvements though for putting on another sterling year of hard graft which is mostly unseen! :cool:

I to remember being made to do work during my lunch break etc for the Vulcan floats. A bit ironic considering they wanted us to do them but yet we could only do them during lunch - Im sure there must be a law about that! :lol:

Dont think I was ever on the floats with Goggle and Bob although I do remember what I was dressed up as, but I am with holding that information!

footie chick
06-Aug-07, 22:07
Is that pussy cat on the top right Wendy Blackwood (nee Miller)???

Yeah it sure is

kas
07-Aug-07, 15:18
My mates and I had a fantastic time dressed up, and we can not understand why more people do not dress up, it is such a laugh.

Well done to everyone who put out floats, I noticed this year there seemed to be more groups of friends than organisations putting out floats.

So if anyone has thought about it before but not gone ahead, do it next year, its far better being in the gala than watching it in my opinion.

I think the TTIA deserve a big pat on the back for their efforts too.

Looking forward to next year.

Mr_Me19
07-Aug-07, 15:29
How many floats were there, and how many came from THURSO

Before you start making remarks like that just remember that even though there were floats from Castletown they came in, spending money to do so, then making lots of money for THURSO. It doesn't go to them or to Castletown. They are helping your town. Be careful with what you say or it might come back on you.

I'm sure almost everyone else was glad that there were 6 floats. And as it has been said; its good that the Caithness community is being brought together by events like this.

Thumper
07-Aug-07, 15:38
I personally dont care where they come from its the fact that they do come and they do take the time to make a float and they do collect money for whichever gala it is.At the end of the day all galas will die out if people don't bother entering floats,would you go to watch one sad solitary float wandering down the main st in Thurso,Wick,Castletown,Halkirk or Lybster?These people give up a lot of time and I expect spend quite a lot of their own money to make it floats and should be congratulated on doing so.Come on guys this is Caithness COMMUNITY website and any part of this community that does their bit should be applauded for doing so!All our galas are in danger of dying out if people stop doing things and if they are made to feel that they shouldn't be there because they are not from that town or village it may stop floats from coming.BUT thats just MY opinion x

Sporran
07-Aug-07, 17:22
I enjoyed looking at all the Thurso Gala photos, as I always do. The costumes and floats were great, and everyone looked like they were having so much fun! :D

So which of our Orgers will admit to being in any of the photos? ;)

Jeemag_USA
07-Aug-07, 19:04
Yeah it sure is

Do you know her, or are you her, I used to work with Wendy, crackin lassie!

Bobinovich
07-Aug-07, 22:40
I enjoyed looking at all the Thurso Gala photos, as I always do. The costumes and floats were great, and everyone looked like they were having so much fun!

So which of our Orgers will admit to being in any of the photos? ;)

Both myself and my kids can be seen in the crowd - but I'm not saying which pics :Razz!

Sporran
08-Aug-07, 04:06
Och, yer such a tease, Bobinovich! :lol:

Moonboots
08-Aug-07, 12:16
Both myself and my kids can be seen in the crowd - but I'm not saying which pics :Razz!

I Know!!!!
I Know!!!!

hehe