PDA

View Full Version : Boiled Eggs

stekar
05-Aug-07, 21:49
Right, this is probably a daft question, but why do some boiled eggs not peel easily?

Cooked one today and when I came to peel it lots of the egg came away with the shell.

Answers anyone?

gollach
05-Aug-07, 21:53
It's difficult to peel a boiled egg if it is too fresh. Eggs that are a few days old are much easier to peel.

stekar
05-Aug-07, 22:03
Ah, thanks. They are some local free range eggs, delicious they are too!

coppertop 1958
05-Aug-07, 22:19
i allways think if you dip them in cold water peel off ok

http://www.wikihow.com/Peel-an-Egg-Quickly

ashaw1
05-Aug-07, 22:20
It's to do with the membrane underneath the shell. When you first crack the boiled egg make sure you tear a small hole in the membrane that lies between the shell and the egg white. Since i discovered this it works every time.

Alice in Blunderland
05-Aug-07, 22:37
I have lost count of how many times I have carefully peeled off the egg shell,
mashed it with butter into a bowl, set it in front of one of the kids
for them to spit a mouthfull halway across the table whilst shouting they have crunched a bit of shell.

I never win with boiled eggs :roll:

connieb19
05-Aug-07, 22:40
Can you boil an egg in the microwave, every time I try boiling them in a pan they go bang before the water's done. :mad:

Alice in Blunderland
05-Aug-07, 22:44
Can you boil an egg in the microwave, every time I try boiling them in a pan they go bang before the water's done. :mad:
Good grief Connie I dont think cooking is one of your skills then. :eek:

johno
05-Aug-07, 22:45
hi, mrs johno had a plastic thingy that you put water & the egg in it worked most of the time but i think it,s now hidden under the sink somewhere.
a tupperware thing i think.

connieb19
05-Aug-07, 22:49
Good grief Connie I dont think cooking is one of your skills then. :eek:
The other night I thought I'd cook a packet of fries to go, I didn't realise the chips had all fallen out the box into the freezer, it only took the box 2 minutes in the microwave before it caught fire. :eek:

Alice in Blunderland
05-Aug-07, 22:55
Connie you sound like a friend of mine who once put a frozen pizza in the oven to cook.
She did not bother with a baking sheet just whacked it straight in. Twenty minutes later she went back to take the pizza out... :eek: to her horror there was no topping on the pizza.....she had stuck it in upside down and all the topping was now baked to the floor of the oven. Not a cook either :lol:

JimH
05-Aug-07, 23:06
The fresher the egg, the more difficult it is to peel when boiled.
They need to be a couple of weeks old to peel well.
Really fresh ones are good to poach though.

WeeBurd
05-Aug-07, 23:14
Really fresh ones are good to poach though.

Very true, Jim, stop's the blighters from spreading all over the pan. Hmmmm, you've made me hungry for some nice soft-poached eggs on toast... :)

johno
05-Aug-07, 23:19
Very true, Jim, stop's the blighters from spreading all over the pan. Hmmmm, you've made me hungry for some nice soft-poached eggs on toast... :)
wee burd ,you a cannibal. he he [lol]

anneoctober
05-Aug-07, 23:52
wee burd ,you a cannibal. he he [lol]
You're on form tonight Johno.........:lol:

Ricco
06-Aug-07, 08:34
hi, mrs johno had a plastic thingy that you put water & the egg in it worked most of the time but i think it,s now hidden under the sink somewhere.
a tupperware thing i think.

I think that Lakeland Plastics sell such an item. Try taking a look at their web site.

WeeBurd
06-Aug-07, 23:19
wee burd ,you a cannibal. he he

:lol: Well spotted Johno - dash, now my secret's out! :lol:

Geo
06-Aug-07, 23:57
I find they peel easy if you place them in hot water straight away, rather than cold and heating it up. Could be coincidence though! :)

NickInTheNorth
07-Aug-07, 09:04
guaranteed foolproof way to get easy peeling eggs - I promise!

Boil as normal. Drain off water. Crack shell well in several places. Run cold water into pan. Drain. Peel.

The ingress of cold water seems to lift the shell and membrane :D

poppett
07-Aug-07, 10:31
You beat me to it with the reply Nick..........it`s scientific.

Same goes for any pan with mince, stew or custard stuck to it. Plunge empty pay into cold water and fill with cold water, and the "shock" frees the stuck on food.

For burnt on food use washing up liquid and salt in cold water to perform the "shock"............leave for 20 mins then warm the liquid and the burnt on stuff will float to the top.

To stop custard burning mix custard powder and cold milk in the pan. Stir continually until the right thickness........remove from heat and add sugar to taste, stirring well. The sugar is the element which burns the mixture.

Any more Domestic "Science" tips out there folks?