PDA

View Full Version : Sutherland/macrae/robertson - Dornoch, Clyne, Lairg

RONI
04-Aug-07, 20:23
Greetings from South Africa! I am looking for information about my ggg grandparents JOHN SUTHERLAND and MARGARET MACRAE. Their eldest son,
my gg grandfather ALEXANDER SUTHERLAND christened 30 December 1807 at Dornoch, was married to JANE
ROBERTSON of Loth, both are buried in grave no. 12 Lairg Cemetery. ALEXANDER was a builder at Lairg. His siblings were: WILLIAM SUTHERLAND,
born 4 February 1813 at Clyne, MAY KENNEDY SUTHERLAND born 27 July 1816 at Clyne, and SARAH SUTHERLAND born 22 August 1818 at Clyne.

marionq
05-Aug-07, 15:10
In this instance I can't help you but I wonder if you can help me! Sorry for the liberty.

I have been trying for ages to find out how I would get a copy of a marriage certificate for my husband's grandparents who married in Cape Town, South Africa on 19 Jan 1882. They are James Quillan and Rachel Tennent.

Can you tell me if this is possible to do online?

Marion, Renfrewshire

PS I have a copy of the 1841 Census so I am off to have a look for Alexander Sutherland and Jane Robertson. Will get back to you if I find anything interesting.

marionq
05-Aug-07, 15:20
Have just done a search through my Lairg 1841 and the only Alexander Sutherland I found of roughly the right age ie 45 in 1841 was a roadbulder and his wife appears to be Elspet Sutherland who is the same age.

Any relation? He has various children and 3 older women at his address in Torbole so if you want details let me know.

Marion

RONI
06-Aug-07, 20:00
Your contact would be the South African National Archives in Cape Town.
I will have to find out for you whether they give out information via the
internet. I don't think that the Alexander you refer to is my gg grandfather
but thanks for your trouble.

RONI
07-Aug-07, 14:33
Try the website NAAIRS South Africa. (National Automated Archival Retrieval
System). They list the various archive depots in South Africa. Hope this is
of some help to you.
Regards, Veronica