PDA

View Full Version : Please help out a newbie to Thurso and tell me about Gala week!

Jill
03-Aug-07, 22:42
I'm trying to find out about Gala week at the moment - specifically what is happening tomorrow.

All I can find out so far is the time of judging of various things. However reading between the lines I guess there are floats and fancy dress events going on. Is there a parade or similar? If so, when and where?

Also I've seen mention of various competitions (colouring and word search, for example) - can anyone tell me where you pick up the entry forms for these?

I've looked on Thurso.org but am none the wiser :)

rs 2k
03-Aug-07, 22:54
Hi if u go to cairngorm windows u will get a programme from there, it has all thats happening all week :)

ABC
03-Aug-07, 22:56
The floats and fancy dress parade from Sinclair Street, down to Traill Street and back up Princes Street. Fancy dress starts at 5 floats start at 7 i think

I think you get the forms etc from the little shop (that used to be the wine shop) on the corner at the traffic lights next door to the travel arcade.

Torvaig
03-Aug-07, 23:01
I'm trying to find out about Gala week at the moment - specifically what is happening tomorrow.

All I can find out so far is the time of judging of various things. However reading between the lines I guess there are floats and fancy dress events going on. Is there a parade or similar? If so, when and where?

Also I've seen mention of various competitions (colouring and word search, for example) - can anyone tell me where you pick up the entry forms for these?

I've looked on Thurso.org but am none the wiser :)

There is a programme on Thurso.org if you look under the link for GALA 2007

Jill
03-Aug-07, 23:06
Thanks, I will try and get hold of a programme tomorrow!

Gogglebox
04-Aug-07, 07:52
Hope this helps

NB Gala Office is the old Victoria Wines SHops on Saturday the 4th as its beside the Town Square
Collecting cans/buckets can be obtained and returned to there.
Cairngorm Windows take over again on Monday

Have fun and enjoy the Gala

SATURDAY 4th AUGUST
8.30am Continental Market, One Market…hundreds of flavours. (Begins Thursday 2nd August until Sunday 5th)
5.00pm Children's Fancy Dress judging in Sir John's Square. Under 5 years to 12 years. Entry Free
5.45pm Adult Foot Collectors judging, Sir John's Square, 13 years and above. Entry Free
6.30pm Judging of Floats & prize presentation Sinclair Street
6.30pm Mina MacKay's Highland Dancers Display in Sir John's Square
7.00pm Gala Queen Ceremony, Sir John's Square followed by the Gala Parade
10.00pm Gala Dance Skinandis, over 18's only see posters for details

SUNDAY 5th AUGUST
8.30am Continental Market, One Market…hundreds of flavours. (Begins Thursday 2nd August until Sunday 5th)
Noon It's A Knockout competition with various teams & family fun in the Dammies. Bouncy castles etc.
6.30pm Car Treasure Hunt, starting in Janet Street and returning to the Janet Street Club for results, entry £5 per car

MONDAY 6th AUGUST
7.30pm Fashion Show in Skinandis with Kaithness Kickers Line Dancers, Jewellery & Health products display, entry £3
TUESDAY 7th AUGUST
2.00pm Teddy Bears Picnic & children's games in Skinandis, prizes for best dressed teddies, entry £2
6.30pm Family Bingo in the Royal British Legion, books are usual prices, entry £1
WEDNESDAY 8th AUGUST
7.00pm Beach Party, weather permitting, yacht race, various demonstrations, displays & family fun
THURSDAY 9th AUGUST
7.30pm Quiz Night in the Janet Street Club, Disco to follow, entry £2 per person
7.30pm Whist Drive, Scout Hall Riverside, entry £1

FRIDAY 10th AUGUST
10.00am Coffee Morning in Royal British Legion, Mina MacKay's Highland Dancers display, entry £1
2.00pm Family Treasure Hunt with varied starting times starting from the boating pond. See posters
6:00pm The Big Gig with various local bands, entry £2. Poster for printing
8.30pm Taste of Tartan Ceilidh in the Royal Hotel, entry £3

SATURDAY 11th AUGUST
2.00pm The Big Gig with various local bands, entry £2. The grand Raffle Draw, tickets £1 each. Poster for printing

SUNDAY 12th AUGUST
1.00pm 10K Run. Over 15's only, entry £5 Registration for both, Thurso Youth Club, Millbank from 11.30am-12.30pm
1.15pm 3K Fun Run/Walk Under 8yrs must be accompanied by an Adult entry £2
2.00pm Baby Show in The Royal British Legion, entry £2
EXTRAS
SWRI are celebrating 90 years and are having a craft and flower display in St Peters & St Andrews Church Thurso, 1st-4th August 10am-4pm, also 6pm-8pm on the 2nd & 3rd.

Beach fishing competitions see posters for more details.
Sea Boat fishing competition, contact Harpers Fishing Tackle shop for more details.
Red herring, word search and colouring competitions, all entries must be returned to Cairngorm Windows (Gala Office) by 12 noon Friday 10th August
Collection cans available from the old Victoria Wine shop on 3rd August Friday evening and Saturday 4th August
NB: Some events may be subject to change or cancellation.
Check this page for any changes