PDA

View Full Version : Postal Strikes

Anne x
02-Aug-07, 16:37
Anyone not getting mail and what is happening with the strike different regions appear to be hit differently

I got no mail delivered that was posted in lothian region earlier this week

Ax:confused

orkneylass
02-Aug-07, 16:46
We got no mail at home in Orkney today but it may just be that nobody loves us........

the nomad
02-Aug-07, 16:48
Postman Pat and his black and white cat hard at work in Inverness. I also saw delivery vans in Aviemore.

Anne x
02-Aug-07, 16:53
think some areas are more disrupted than others

Birthday today and no cards or parcels still out for dinner to night to make up for it

:lol: Ax

percy toboggan
02-Aug-07, 17:07
Good luck to the lads , and lasses.
At the end of the day (or preferably at the start of it) someone has to lug the post up yer garden path. I've been there and done that and it's not an easy job. I used to walk twelve miles every day!

Being a rural postman would be a joy for me but at the edge of the city it wasn't. A great set of lads though - I stuck it for five years and Branch Sec. of the UPW as it was then.

The huge disparity between wages at the very top, and lower down the pecking order is grossly unfair. In its present form the job might be doomed in the longer term. In the seventies there was talk of 'electronic mail' and I didn't know what they meant. Now, I do.

Anne x
02-Aug-07, 17:14
yes I agree my cousin has been a postie in Inverness for 30 yrs:lol:
Ax

Fluff
02-Aug-07, 17:26
i think it is affecting us. it can be hard to tell, sometimes there is just no post.
saying that, i am waiting for my new bankcard. has to be the week on the postal strike! my previous one was cancelled, i can barely do anything without it lol!

rainbow
02-Aug-07, 19:06
Apparently it is not an all out strike - the Postal Union is targeting different areas and departments on different days. The sorting office in Inverness was on strike on Tues night, and there was no deliveries in Wick today and last Saturday. It is having an impact and a knock on effect, but that is what a strike is meant to do.

karia
02-Aug-07, 20:33
Greetings Percy,

Yes indeed!

All they can do to protest is to withdraw their labour!

And if even Percy Toboggan's on their side ....;)

I am certain that Percy would extend his support beyond jobs that he has actually held,.. to include other occupations where the pay disparity is equally shameful!

karia

percy toboggan
02-Aug-07, 20:46
....I am certain that Percy would extend his support beyond jobs that he has actually held,.. to include other occupations where the pay disparity is equally shameful!.....

karia

..your certainty is well placed Karia.
The wealth divide is becoming....divisive.
Even apathetic Brit's might one day call for
justice on the pay front. Nobody is advocating
equality, just fairness, and a sense of a cohesive society
where the succesful prosper and the industrious can merely thrive.

jsherris
02-Aug-07, 21:25
Even apathetic Brit's might one day call for
justice on the pay front.

Yeah right.... Obviously, I can't speak for what is happening up in your region, but here in Blackpool, folk are SO 'lily-livered'.... we have a massive influx of Polish people at the moment - the larger companies & hotels are sacking their entire workforces to hire the Poles at rates of pay of about £3 per hour.
No, I don't blame the Poles at all, most of those that I have met are wonderful - it's the employers. But then again, can we blame them? If I were an employer, would I prefer a salary cost of 7K per employee or 15K? Hmm....

But I DO blame the British workforce for not having the get up & go to complain to the right people - they just hang around the jobcentres here, moaning amongst themselves - as a nation it's time to speak up!
(Incidentally, on a day when our post was supposed to be affected, the local Royal Mail drafted in a team of Polish guys who actually DID deliver - I was pleasantly surprised, but outraged at the same time!)
Julie.

Anne x
02-Aug-07, 23:35
gosh what did I start here just wondered about no mail :roll:
confused or what !!!

Ax

Victoria
02-Aug-07, 23:39
think some areas are more disrupted than others

Birthday today and no cards or parcels still out for dinner to night to make up for it

:lol: Ax

Happy birthday! Hope you have a nice meal

Anne x
03-Aug-07, 00:12
thanks victoria

had a lovely evening after a pretty awful day having just moved and cut offf by strike by family and friends :)

Ax

theone
03-Aug-07, 00:49
Yeah right.... Obviously, I can't speak for what is happening up in your region, but here in Blackpool, folk are SO 'lily-livered'.... we have a massive influx of Polish people at the moment - the larger companies & hotels are sacking their entire workforces to hire the Poles at rates of pay of about £3 per hour.
No, I don't blame the Poles at all, most of those that I have met are wonderful - it's the employers. But then again, can we blame them? If I were an employer, would I prefer a salary cost of 7K per employee or 15K? Hmm....

But I DO blame the British workforce for not having the get up & go to complain to the right people - they just hang around the jobcentres here, moaning amongst themselves - as a nation it's time to speak up!
(Incidentally, on a day when our post was supposed to be affected, the local Royal Mail drafted in a team of Polish guys who actually DID deliver - I was pleasantly surprised, but outraged at the same time!)
Julie.

If anybody is paying below minimum wage maybe you should "get up & go to complain to the right people" and get these businesses fined?

golach
03-Aug-07, 09:10
Anyone not getting mail and what is happening with the strike different regions appear to be hit differently

I got no mail delivered that was posted in lothian region earlier this week

Ax:confused

As an Ex-Postman who was involved in the 8 week industrial action in 1971, I am fully behind the current Postal Workers and their industrial action, these actions are not taken lightly, because the workers lose money, you do not get paid while on strike. These type of actions are a last resort, and I believe the current Royal Mail Management are conducting underhand methods, just to make the Posties take industrial action, these tactics are not new and are taken to get public sympathy. Support Your Local Postman & Post Office, or you will lose them both, and then you will have to do as many other countries, collect your mail from a central point in a town

percy toboggan
03-Aug-07, 15:30
Well said Golach.
Postmen and women - especially those outside the large distribution offices are not the most militant of people and have been manouvered into this kind of action by , as you say, underhand tactics.

Incidentally, to the lass, or lad in Blackpool...thes ePoles must be remarkable peope indeed when a small army can be drafted in at a day or twos notice to deliver mail in a strange town. The recruitment process has onbiously gone downhill since Golach and I were employees of the 'Post Office'

If there are indeed Poles, and various nationalities working for c.£3.00 per hour IN ANY INDUSTRY then these can justifiably be looked upon as 'enemies' of working British people. This is not an overstatement it is a fact of economic life and the survival of a 'working class' ie. people who work to pay their bills. They may be very nice as individuals and I wouldn't doubt it, however, by their very presence they are undermining the likes of I, and I object most strnggly.

I have long been chided as being anti-immigrant but if (and it's a big IF ) you are right then perhaps some people will wake up from their lethargic torpor and realise that we, the working people of Britain are being shafted by our membership of the European Union. Which to me, is just a simile for the 'Pool of Cheap Labour ' just a coach ride away !

For the thread instigator - Your innocent enquiry as to how your own mail is affected was entirely valid, however, see this widening of the thread as aimed at folk who think beyond their own letterbox and the length of their garden path. No offence to you. Head a thread 'Postal Strikes' though and it will attract allsorts, even a Toboggan.

Anne x
03-Aug-07, 16:16
I do support my local post office and would hate to loose it and trek into town to do so , and I also admire my local postwomen who delivers the mail in all weathers with a smile

some of the postmen in the sorting offices cannot afford to loose 1 nights shift pay

I was trying to see beyond my own point of view in not getting my own personal mail

Ax:lol:

Angela
03-Aug-07, 16:32
If there are indeed Poles, and various nationalities working for c.£3.00 per hour IN ANY INDUSTRY then these can justifiably be looked upon as 'enemies' of working British people. This is not an overstatement it is a fact of economic life and the survival of a 'working class' ie. people who work to pay their bills. They may be very nice as individuals and I wouldn't doubt it, however, by their very presence they are undermining the likes of I, and I object most strnggly.

I have long been chided as being anti-immigrant but if (and it's a big IF ) you are right then perhaps some people will wake up from their lethargic torpor and realise that we, the working people of Britain are being shafted by our membership of the European Union. Which to me, is just a simile for the 'Pool of Cheap Labour ' just a coach ride away !

I certainly do value my postie whose route round the tenements is anything but easy...and I greatly appreciate my local post office as well, I'd be lost without it.

No employer should be paying anyone £3 an hour - well, it's illegal for a start, and not a wage anyone can live on.

I don't feel I can shift the blame conveniently onto the workers -immigrants or otherwise. It's the employers -irrespective of nationality -who must be held responsible. Just as bad as those who employ folk when they know full well they're claiming benefits. They, or their shareholders, are either just greedy -or if they genuinely can't afford to pay the minimum wage, their business isn't viable.

Percy -please note -for the avoidance of doubt - I'm not attributing any anti-Polish sentiments to you here. ;)

jsherris
03-Aug-07, 19:17
If anybody is paying below minimum wage maybe you should "get up & go to complain to the right people" and get these businesses fined?

Incidentally, to the lass, or lad in Blackpool...thes ePoles must be remarkable peope indeed when a small army can be drafted in at a day or twos notice to deliver mail in a strange town.

Well, firstly, yes, our local councillor knows all about what's going on in the town - I sit on a few committees & have passed on information where necessary & to the right people where I'm able to - just last week one of our larger hotels was 'hit' by a team from the council called in to investigate - they are currently recruiting.... at national minimum wage ;)

And to percy..... the poles in Blackpool aren't exactly remarkable to form a small army... we now have approx 38 THOUSAND here....:eek:

Like I said, I have no problems with them on a personal level, but it's like pulling teeth when you have the top Councillors & Police actively encouraging them to 'settle' whilst our local people are being sidelined.
We now have dedicated Polish Council Forums & dedicated Polish PACT meetings with police each month - which is a good thing, but just HOW many more people can the UK sustain?
One particular employer in the town - who shan't be named, but does a very nice line in 'thrill rides'.... actively seek out Europeans to work the summer season.... incidentally, they are also the only local large attraction that does NOT have a 'Locals Loyalty Scheme'...

Back to topic though.... our regular postie was back this morning with a smile & told me that our local Royal Mail have a LARGE 'bank' of european temps which they are able to call on....... and he apologised for any disruption in service, past or future... I sincerely hope they are successful in their pay war - he SO deserves it - Swedish or not!!!

Oh... and by the way.... I'm a lass - middle aged, but sort of 'lassy-like!
Julie.

percy toboggan
03-Aug-07, 19:46
cheers Julie,
38,000 Poles in Blackpool !? Not to mention the one at the fire station !
Do they all go home in the wintertime?

As an aside: for years there was a one man band in Leek. A haulier. He had 'It's that Pole in Leek' emblazoned on the front of his truck. He became a familiar sight on the local road. Now, I don't suppose it carries quite the same cache. They're all over the place and for the most part doing a good job. So long as it's not mine , should I care?

jsherris
03-Aug-07, 20:39
cheers Julie,
38,000 Poles in Blackpool !? Not to mention the one at the fire station !
Do they all go home in the wintertime?

hahahahahahahaha!!!

Um, sorry..... No, they don't - well, they pop back for visits & those that have cars leave & come back again to comply with the foreign vehicle regulations, but most of our Polish population are now here to stay.
We have Polish delis, cafes, pop-in centres, and some of the local pubs are fast becoming pole-only areas. I hasten to add that none of this affects me or my standard of life, I am not moaning, I'm just saying what is happening here in Blackpool.
We live in a 3 storey town house (ex B & B - 14 rooms, nice house, shame about the area) and a local guy has seen his lettings agency grow from rags to riches by catering exclusively for the poles - he now has 3 houses in our street, all let to poles - so we have around 30 of them!

But none are full time posties.........:Razz

percy toboggan
03-Aug-07, 22:59
hahahahahahahaha!!!

Um, sorry..... No, they don't - well, they pop back for visits & those that have cars leave & come back again to comply with the foreign vehicle regulations, but most of our Polish population are now here to stay.
We have Polish delis, cafes, pop-in centres, and some of the local pubs are fast becoming pole-only areas. I hasten to add that none of this affects me or my standard of life, I am not moaning, I'm just saying what is happening here in Blackpool.
We live in a 3 storey town house (ex B & B - 14 rooms, nice house, shame about the area) and a local guy has seen his lettings agency grow from rags to riches by catering exclusively for the poles - he now has 3 houses in our street, all let to poles - so we have around 30 of them!

But none are full time posties.........:Razz

I was going to ask if these poles make good dancers but feel I've pushed the humour enveloppe too far already.
As for the increased trade for B & B's, it's an ill wind etc. etc.

jsherris
03-Aug-07, 23:28
I was going to ask if these poles make good dancers but feel I've pushed the humour enveloppe too far already.

whispers..... actually, there aren't many english girls in the town doing these jobs any more, cos the 'Others' are working for a lower hourly rate......
and this season we have 12 lap-dancing clubs open in the town.... :roll:

Altho, we also have 2 which are for the ladies only, with the male lap dancers :grin:
But I am NOT going to comment about guys & their poles............

percy toboggan
04-Aug-07, 07:46
whispers..... actually, there aren't many english girls in the town doing these jobs any more, cos the 'Others' are working for a lower hourly rate......
and this season we have 12 lap-dancing clubs open in the town.... :roll:

Altho, we also have 2 which are for the ladies only, with the male lap dancers :grin:
But I am NOT going to comment about guys & their poles............

Twelve!

Dear me, what happened to the Blackpool of old?
At the risk of sounding like an auld trumper
I find this descent into a moral morass
most worrying. I wouldn't be seen
dead in a lap dancing club
myself. Performing or
merely watching!

jsherris
04-Aug-07, 09:32
Twelve!

Dear me, what happened to the Blackpool of old?
At the risk of sounding like an auld trumper
I find this descent into a moral morass
most worrying. I wouldn't be seen
dead in a lap dancing club
myself. Performing or
merely watching!

No percy, you can sound like an old tumper, the general degeneration of society is the precise reason we would like to be OUT of it!
(And no, I'm not a visitor of such places either.)
So, when we were considering where to go, Caithness seemed to be the furthest point to scarper to, without falling off the top of the country.
I want to get back to a life which is simple, unspoilt and safe - if anyone here tells me that Caithness is not the place for that way of life, then I surrender..... sadly.