PDA

View Full Version : What do you run to? (Wrong shaped ears)

DrSzin
15-Jul-05, 15:37
I've recently started taking my iPod when going out running, and I'm looking for suggestions of what to listen to. It has to be something relatively upbeat and (in some sense) "uplifting" -- the idea being to draw attention away from the pain, and hence enable longer, faster runs. :D

The one time in my life when I was disgustingly fit (circa 1989), my preferences were U2's Rattle & Hum for long runs, and the Eurythmics' Savage for shorter ones. My half-baked plan is to (try to) get disgustingly fit again, but I'm struggling miserably thus far. I'm still plodding along slowly...

As for the ears... Does anyone else find that Apple's standard white headphones come out of their ears too easily? Or do I just have the wrong shaped ears? I tend to use my Sony headphones with my iPod, but I forgot to take them away with me last weekend.

Also, does anyone have experience of the iPod Incase Belt (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/90201/wo/zi6DVVya3ITe2x99UFeAJbcg9v4/2.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.3.19.0.1.0.1.1.0.1.0.15)?

And I still haven't managed to rip Coldplay's X&Y. This is only the second CD to have beaten me thus far. Grrr... Any suggestions?

Donnie
15-Jul-05, 15:44
Maybe go for The Killers - Hot Fuss or Bloc Party - Silent Alarm. Both are excellent and are getting plenty of air time on my mp3 player.

golach
15-Jul-05, 19:30
No wonder Scottish Brewers shut down and moved oot o Auld Reekie. DrSzin has taken the pledge, and seen the light i.e. taking exercise, methinks this is called "hitting the middle age crisis barrier" the good Dr will be getting himsel Leathers and a beeg motor bike next, that is usually the next step in this crisis....so I have been told...never had this problem myself......I like my pint too much [lol]

Gus
15-Jul-05, 22:54
I too used to run to U2's Rattle & Hum - in fact it made me quite deaf and quite fit for a while.

Don't run anymore, but one album does me for most things these days. It's (please don't laugh or grimace until you've tried it) Boston by (of course) Boston from 1976.

The nostalgic naffness of "More Than A Feeling" gives way to some of the chirpiest, thumping rock I've ever heard. "More Than A Feeling" would be just right for a slow warm up, and the last song perfect to wind down to.

I can never listen to it quietly and never just the once.

scotsboy
16-Jul-05, 05:09
Does anyone else find that Apple's standard white headphones come out of their ears too easily? Or do I just have the wrong shaped ears? I tend to use my Sony headphones with my iPod

Likewise Dr, I also use a pair of Sony earphones, dont like the ones supplied wit the iPod at all - for the same reason you provided.

Naefearjustbeer
16-Jul-05, 15:45
And I still haven't managed to rip Coldplay's X&Y. This is only the second CD to have beaten me thus far. Grrr... Any suggestions?

search for a program called cdex, I use it to convert my cds to mp3 and it seems to work ok on discs that are not playable on a pc. It is a free download. I cant remember where I got it but google should help

champagnebaby
16-Jul-05, 16:41
I'd say James Blunt, The Killers or Kasabian - my faves at the mo! :D

A_Usher
16-Jul-05, 16:49
For me it depends on what im doing.
If i am on the kickbag then i try for songs with a lot of energy and that last a good 3 minutes or so, so i can work 10, 3 minutes round.

If im out for my daily 2 mile run i usually listen to Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains or something similar.

For Interval Training, again its all structured to time, and varies.

For me it tends to be more Rock style music, cant get round the idea you would want to run to Coldplay :D

Andrew Usher.

Bobinovich
18-Jul-05, 22:31

search for a program called cdex, I use it to convert my cds to mp3 and it seems to work ok on discs that are not playable on a pc. It is a free download. I cant remember where I got it but google should help

Alternatively try Audiograbber. It used to be Shareware but is now free and is a piece of cake to use - especially good if you download the Lame MP3 encoder (halfway down the downloads page) because you can rip to whatever quality you like. It can be downloaded from http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/download.html.

It also has an Internet link (the Penguin icon) which will try and identify the CD it's ripping and will name the artist, album, tracks, year, genre etc. to save you naming them afterwards.

Well recommended.

jay
19-Jul-05, 12:10
music - try Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds - an oldie but well worth listening to

Jeid
19-Jul-05, 20:12
put on some thrash metal... you'll be so worked up, you won't be worrying about pain

DrSzin
20-Jul-05, 01:21
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try out some of them soon -- both music and ripping.

Last week I ran to "Rattle & Hum" (for old times' sake), Deep Purple "Made in Japan" (even older than Boston and mostly ok), and Moby "Play" (better than you might think, but perhaps my trusty Sony earphones helped there). Can't even begin to imagine running to Coldplay -- I wanna run not snooze, although X&Y is more upbeat than the first two.

As for taking the pledge... Golach, you know me better than that. I am increasing exercise and cutting down on eating not drinking. Serious drink reduction doesn't start until absolutely necessary -- when running times start to plateau and desperation sets in. You have to want to cut out the pints else it doesn't work.

Alexander Rowe
20-Jul-05, 15:11
How about Fat Boy Slim, or Mr blobby ?

Seriously though its a good question. I used to like running to the Rocky theme tune, didnt bother with the ghost punching at the same time, looked a bit stupid.

porshiepoo
22-Nov-05, 20:06
Meat Loaf! That'd get you running.

Seriously didn't think you'd know what an ipod is though, thought you were too ancient for that! ;)

Kenn
22-Nov-05, 20:39
I go by the maxim, "If you are fit you don't need exercise and if you are n't then it's bad for you."
Right I'm off to listen to Carmen that has both slow and fast movements problem is why is it when you get to the bottom of a steep incline and are about to go up the music always seems to speed up and when you have a gentle, level stretch to run the music slows down. It's got to be that man Murphy and his diabolical law!
Bet I'm in the pub before you Mr Szinical so what's your tipple and I'll have one waiting.
P.S I put it on your slate, trust that was OK

gleeber
22-Nov-05, 21:29
Contrary to reports I ran outta wind about the same time as the runaway train came over the hill. Nowadays I listen as I drive. Audioo tapes from the library are a good deal.
Melvyn Braggs the Adventure of English is the tape of the moment.