PDA

View Full Version : Hotels

Rampant Rabbit
02-Aug-07, 08:28
have a wee look up at the royal hotel and central i dont think i would pay to stay in them they both look like a place for down and outs you get in a city the royal is the bigest north off inverness why dont they tidy it up like the park and station hotels have done the guest can,t even see out by the look off it

Loafer
02-Aug-07, 09:45
Agree with you 100% there RR. If you want an even more depressing hotel, have a look at the St Clair in Castletown. Only fit for the bulldozers.

The Loafer

buggyracer
02-Aug-07, 09:57
Agree with you 100% there RR. If you want an even more depressing hotel, have a look at the St Clair in Castletown. Only fit for the bulldozers.

The Loafer

just been taken over by new owners whom im sure given time will be looking at putting there own touch on it, i have heard the meals there are very nice now.

davem
02-Aug-07, 09:59
The St Clair in Castletown has just got new owners who by all accounts have made a vast improvement to the menu and interior already. Many locals have come out with glowing reports.
You may have missed the front of the Courier - North Highland Initiative read it you might learn the value of built heritage.
So why post stuff without knowing all the facts? if people are prepared to invest in Castletown and continue to bring tourists into Caithness the least we should do is not make it more difficult for them.

Loafer
02-Aug-07, 10:04
The St Clair in Castletown has just got new owners who by all accounts have made a vast improvement to the menu and interior already. Many locals have come out with glowing reports.
You may have missed the front of the Courier - North Highland Initiative read it you might learn the value of built heritage.
So why post stuff without knowing all the facts? if people are prepared to invest in Castletown and continue to bring tourists into Caithness the least we should do is not make it more difficult for them.

Calm down man, I was only stating what I have seen in recent times and indeed what some of my work colleagues that live in Castletown have been saying for donkeys. But if someone is willing to invest, then good for them!

I don't read the Courier, I have better things to do with the two spare minutes it takes to read!!!!!!

The Loafer

davem
02-Aug-07, 10:49
I was merely reacting to a negative comment that was unfair. There is a general delight taken in rubbishing anything and everything; which ultimately does no one any good. Shaun who had the St Clair before put money and effort in, he supported local groups by providing meeting space and refreshments for nothing. I for one felt that his investment wasn't supported as it should have been. It may be harsh economics that people don't go out as they used to, but; I do feel that criticism when unfounded for the last 3 years does not help. Neither does an absence of interest in the positive things that might be happening. If you take the time to read the story, you probably will manage to work out a thousand reasons why you think won't work.
All I am saying is that a negative outlook and delight in your disappointment with your fellows is something that feeds on itself and ultimately does affect you and all about you.
A degree of optimism is needed for improvements to happen.

Fluff
02-Aug-07, 11:01
my boyfriend and i stayed in the central once. it was fine. the shower as huge!! sure its not the ritz, but i have stayed in worse places.

Mr_Me19
02-Aug-07, 20:04
While people have different views about the St Clair Arms in Castletown I wouldn't mind hearing their views on another hotel for Castletown. There has been a large hotel proposed in the Castlehill area. It would have 40+ as well as conferencing space for over 200. It would be in the same location as Castlehill house and would essentially be Castlehill house Mark II.

badger
03-Aug-07, 11:01
This is slightly off thread but judging by the new houses built on the outskirts on the Thurso road Castletown is definitely on the way up. Pretty expensive and very high spec. I saw them first in the Property for Sale section here so looked at the details on the agent's website - definitely upmarket. HRH is taking an interest in the place and supporting the plans for all those lovely neglected buildings so maybe a new hotel isn't so surprising. Good luck to the new owners of the St Clair - maybe Castletown is where it's all going to be happening.

Thurso benefited from Dounreay. Now Wick is on the up. Why not Castletown?

Mr_Me19
03-Aug-07, 12:11
HRH is taking an interest in the place and supporting the plans for all those lovely neglected buildings so maybe a new hotel isn't so surprising.

Prince Charles was at the enquiry by design meeting where the ideas for all this was put forward. Nice fellow...

Bobinovich
03-Aug-07, 12:32
This is slightly off thread but judging by the new houses built on the outskirts on the Thurso road Castletown is definitely on the way up. Pretty expensive and very high spec. I saw them first in the Property for Sale section here so looked at the details on the agent's website - definitely upmarket. HRH is taking an interest in the place and supporting the plans for all those lovely neglected buildings so maybe a new hotel isn't so surprising. Good luck to the new owners of the St Clair - maybe Castletown is where it's all going to be happening.

Thurso benefited from Dounreay. Now Wick is on the up. Why not Castletown?

I'm sorry but I think that cramming 5 houses into the space where the old motel was is just pure greed. You can hardly slide a piece of paper between them (OK slight exageration but you know what I mean)!

If the developer had concentrated on 4 quality houses with decent garden spaces then I'd be applauding. You can see the 3D graphic designed images here (http://www.studiograff.co.uk/sggraphicarchvis01.html) but they look far better in the images that the two which are already up - I wouldn't be paying that money and not getting a decent space.

Ash
03-Aug-07, 13:15
thurso has dounreay?! how on earth is that the same as wick getting more shops! the houses are awful my parents are going to have to build there wall higher as there going to have no privacy!!!:mad:

badger
03-Aug-07, 17:50
I'm sorry but I think that cramming 5 houses into the space where the old motel was is just pure greed. You can hardly slide a piece of paper between them (OK slight exageration but you know what I mean)!

If the developer had concentrated on 4 quality houses with decent garden spaces then I'd be applauding. You can see the 3D graphic designed images here (http://www.studiograff.co.uk/sggraphicarchvis01.html) but they look far better in the images that the two which are already up - I wouldn't be paying that money and not getting a decent space.

Actually I completely agree about the space - couldn't believe it when we first saw them going up so close together and at an odd angle. I'm afraid the ones outside Thurso are going to be the same. I was only saying that the price and spec. are higher than the norm. for Castletown but wouldn't pay that myself (if I had it, which I don't) for those.

ks
03-Aug-07, 21:06

I agree, the 3d pictures look a lot better than the reality, they would have been as well to make them semi's!

badger
04-Aug-07, 19:55
thurso has dounreay?! how on earth is that the same as wick getting more shops! the houses are awful my parents are going to have to build there wall higher as there going to have no privacy!!!:mad:

What I actually said was Thurso benefited from Dounreay, which it did many years ago. Before then Wick was the main town of Caithness but Dounreay changed all that, which is why the A9 was changed to go Thurso and the old A9, to Wick, became the A99. Recently it seems Wick is reviving, not just with shops but new houses, harbour development, all kinds of things. Maybe Castletown is next on the list with what they're planning for the harbour and other neglected buildings. I don't like the new houses there but they are expensive and they are high spec.

I'm sorry your parents are losing their privacy but that is happening all over the county with new houses appearing at an incredible rate. I have friends in Wick who have lost their privacy and their view of the sea - you wouldn't believe how many houses have been crammed into a small space opposite them. It doesn't seem to matter whether you're in town or country, unless you own masses of land around your house you're not safe from development.

karia
04-Aug-07, 20:34
Hi Guys,

Down here in 'central' it is shocking to see how every bit of 'green belt' land is being turned into 'clone build' housing.

All of the areas that make this a pleasant place to live at the moment have huge hoardings announcing that they are about to become luxury housing,....presumably not the luxury of being able to look out at anything but concrete!

It's so bad that villages and towns are just merging into an amorphous mass
and the planners and vendors can't even be bothered when it comes to the marketing of these 'high-class' barracks,..... within the last month I have noticed that three of these new developments in the area are all called ' the Drum'.

No wonder the postmen are on strike!:roll:

Between where I live and the start of the m9/ A9 I usually can count on seeing upwards of 8 wild rabbits in a 2minute drive,.....not for much longer I suspect!:(

Do anything you can to stop it happening to you,...because you won't ever get it back.

Hotels are only useful when the surrounding area is worth visiting!

Karia