PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water - its the future!!

scotsboy
01-Aug-07, 15:37
.......or is it?

Take a look at this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h6vSxR6UKFM

Then a cyber pint to the first person who tells me what the problem with it is?

Dr Szin is banned:) Not that I've seen him post in ages!

canuck
01-Aug-07, 17:12
A few observations:

1) In the kitchen he used sodium chloride salt, but the sea water would be potassium chloride, although it seems to have worked with only the colour of the flame being different.

2) The generator was huge and it seemed to take a lot of equipment and water to turn one small wheel.

scotsboy
01-Aug-07, 17:34
A few observations:

1) In the kitchen he used sodium chloride salt, but the sea water would be potassium chloride, although it seems to have worked with only the colour of the flame being different.

2) The generator was huge and it seemed to take a lot of equipment and water to turn one small wheel.

You re VERY warm :)

tierce-de-picardie
01-Aug-07, 17:44
unless the burning is self perpetuating its not efficient there willbe soo much mroe energy going into producing the high level of waves that the energy being given off is nowhere near the energy being used to proived the waves.

nothin is 100% efficent there is always some loss

fred
01-Aug-07, 17:50
.......or is it?

Take a look at this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h6vSxR6UKFM

Then a cyber pint to the first person who tells me what the problem with it is?

Dr Szin is banned:) Not that I've seen him post in ages!

It takes a minimum amount of energy to separate the hydrogen and oxygen from water. The first law of entropy states you just can't win and the second law of entropy states you can't even break even. It must take more energy input in the form of radio waves than you will get by burning the hydrogen.

The big question is if the system is more efficient than the existing processes we have for producing hydrogen and oxygen from water? I doubt it at the moment.

tierce-de-picardie
01-Aug-07, 17:53
u basically said what i said in terms of entropy delta it would only become efficient if you used gibbs free enrgy cahnge so basically delta G would have to be lower than 0 for the reaction to take palce on its own but as it cant deltaG in this case is much greater than 0 so its not feasable with out external help

tierce-de-picardie
01-Aug-07, 18:21
eek i didnt word that very well but ye if you applied gibbs free energy formula delta G would be greater than one so there for not feasable without an external help and that transfer of help (energy) is not 100% eficient

scotsboy
01-Aug-07, 18:30
A simple you need to put more energy in than you get out would suffice;)

Interesting though.

tierce-de-picardie
01-Aug-07, 18:47
if your big into your renewable energy thers a sight by a guy called william anderson and he tells you about alot of current affairs with the biodiesel industry from using jatropa and palm oil ect and the use of OTEC (ocean thermal energy conversion) and items such as the tesla turbine nikoli tesla is rather well respected ont he site.

http://news.electricitybook.com/ that should be right

i loove energy off to study mech eng with enrgy eng at uni in 2 months