PDA

View Full Version : 'Mind Your Own Business!'

Kingetter
01-Aug-07, 14:30
I'd like to get a pot of the houseplant Soleirolia soleirolii. Another more common name is 'Baby's Tears'. Would any Garden Centre Wick/Thurso general area have this does anyone know?
This is for an elderly neighbour.
Answers on something larger than a postage stamp please:lol:

Thanks,

James.

PS - Looks like this -

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Garden/MYOB.jpg

sweetpea
07-Aug-07, 14:39
I had a look round Thurso today but couldn't see any. It's a lovely plant, lots of them together make a lovely carpet. I'm pretty sure Homebase don't have it either. Maybe Castletown or Shinvall?

Kingetter
07-Aug-07, 16:18
Thanks sweetpea, I tried Homebase. Have since heard there's another centre in Wick but not sure where yet. Where's Shinvall?

James.

sweetpea
07-Aug-07, 16:21
Shinvall is out at Glengolly, about a mile up the road past the houses. I'm not sure if Pulteneytown Centre is still open or not in Wick, might be worth a look? good luck finding it!

Kingetter
07-Aug-07, 16:25
Shinvall is out at Glengolly, about a mile up the road past the houses. I'm not sure if Pulteneytown Centre is still open or not in Wick, might be worth a look? good luck finding it!

Cheers. I'd tried Castletown as well. Where's Pulteneytown Centre supposed to be then? I believe they have a sale on.

sweetpea
08-Aug-07, 12:49
It's Old Wick Road, entrance is in between council houses opposite the playing fields of south school. Sorry but my directions are hopeless. There is a sign though. It's as if your going towards Kennedy and Cairndhuna.:)

Kingetter
08-Aug-07, 15:32
Thanks very much for that. I'll need to get the horse and buggy out and head for the 'bright city lights' on my quest:)

sassylass
08-Aug-07, 16:09
Kingetter, if you know anyone who has Baby Tears, it's quite easy to start. Just dig up a small plug and plant it where ever you like, pot or ground. Keep it moist and it won't even hiccup.

Kingetter
08-Aug-07, 16:32
Thanks sassylass. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has it, and, the plant is for an elderly neighbour who has no garden - it will need to remain as a pot plant I'm afraid. I'm hoping I might get a chance when at Sandside House on Sunday - lot of plants there and just maybe someone might be generous enough to let me have a wee cutting - if they have it.

Thanks,

James.

jsherris
09-Aug-07, 14:36
Aaahh..... I might be able to help you here, Kingetter....
They have quite a bit of this in our local garden centres - it's popular here, so.....

When we come up in a coupla weeks, I'll bring you 2 or 3 pots or more - can you wait that long? Let me know & I'll pop it on my list of things to do!
Julie.

Kingetter
09-Aug-07, 20:34
Aaahh..... I might be able to help you here, Kingetter....
They have quite a bit of this in our local garden centres - it's popular here, so.....

When we come up in a coupla weeks, I'll bring you 2 or 3 pots or more - can you wait that long? Let me know & I'll pop it on my list of things to do!
Julie.

Thanks Julie.

I'll let you know about that - on Sunday I'm going to Sandside House where they have a great garden - might beg a piece there. Heading for Inverness next week - might find some there. If all else fails, I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

James.

htwood
09-Aug-07, 21:40
In Norway, its called Husfred, means House-Peace, a very popular houseplant. I dont have a garden anymore and this plant is a real winner indoors. You'll need more than a wee cutting, its best if you can dig up a small bit, soil, roots and all.

Kingetter
10-Aug-07, 00:38
Seems like a 'universal' plant then. I might just think about some for myself as well as for my neighbour.

James.

Kingetter
15-Aug-07, 14:15
Thanks to Howdens in Inverness I got some so my quest is over.

Thanks,

James.