PDA

View Full Version : Traill Street Pedestrian Crossings

Rheghead
01-Aug-07, 10:47
Does anyone agree with me that there is ample provision for pedestrian crossing there and that the wee gap in the railings and steps on the west side may lead to an accident? I have seen many people (even with kids buggies) dash across the road between parked cars to use the gap and steps when they could have easily and safely used the pedestrian crossing. Is it time to block them off?

gollach
01-Aug-07, 11:44
I agree. An awful lot of people seem to ignore the fact that there is a safe crossing point provided for them.

Murdina Bug
01-Aug-07, 13:12
I disagree. Taking the nanny state too far by dictating that I, and others, are incompetant to cross a road without a prescribed crossing. I agree that the Zebra crossing is a benefit and I use it if I am in that area or the traffic is particularly heavy but to enforce it is a step too far.

Bobinovich
01-Aug-07, 13:31
Naah, sorry Rheg but at the end of the day people will always take chances for the sake of cutting out a minute of extra walking. Also it's impossible to legislate for every eventuality and it would be folly to try and do so as someone will always find a way round it - I've seen teenagers cross the road and jump the railing there!

It wouldn't work unless a jaywalking-style law was introduced and that simply won't happen.

Cattach
01-Aug-07, 16:17
Does anyone agree with me that there is ample provision for pedestrian crossing there and that the wee gap in the railings and steps on the west side may lead to an accident? I have seen many people (even with kids buggies) dash across the road between parked cars to use the gap and steps when they could have easily and safely used the pedestrian crossing. Is it time to block them off?

You may be right but I get more annoyed by people who cross at Bews door or the Alliance Leicester door and stop the traffic when there is a proper crossing a very few yards away. But motorists are also to blame at crossings - see how many block the two breaks in the railings at the Royal Hotel and the Newmarket while they park in a queue at the lights and so prevent pedestrians crossing at a legitimate spot.