PDA

View Full Version : M9/a9 No Waiting At Any Time

jay
01-Aug-07, 09:31
Ok I've just read through the screed in todays courier about changes to parking in Trail Street and Olrig Street in Thurso and can make no sense of it at all! Can someone please tell me will this, at last, stop buses from parking outside the Royal Hotel?

gollach
01-Aug-07, 11:49
It certainly looks like it will. I was trying to figure out whether or not these rectrictions are any tighter than what we are supposed to have at present.

Coaches at the Royal's door apart, I get really annoyed when I drive up Olrig Street and find someone has parked on the single yellow line outside the shoe repair shop, especially when there are spaces available at the Bank of Scotland directly opposite - it can cause long queues of traffic.

I thought a double yellow meant no parking at any time while a single yellow meant no parking during the day (8am - 6pm?). Am I wrong?

coppertop 1958
01-Aug-07, 13:04
Double yellow lines mean that parking is restricted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (in other words ‘at any time’). With effect from 31 January 2003 councils are not required to erect a sign plate to accompany an ‘at any time’ restriction. In some areas, (for example holiday resorts), the ‘at any time’ restriction may apply for only part of the year, although this must be for at least four consecutive months. In these cases a sign, showing the duration of the restriction, will be erected.

A single yellow line on the road means that, at some time of the day, there will be parking restrictions.

If the single yellow line is within a controlled parking zone, you can assume that it operates for the same time as the zone unless separate time plates show different times. A Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) is an area where parking is restricted by Traffic Regulation Orders (Traffic Management Orders in London), in accordance with signs placed on all vehicular entry points to the area (except in designated parking bays or where otherwise signed).

For example, in a controlled parking zone which runs from 8.30 am to 6.30 pm, a yellow line without any separate time plates will be operational at those times and a driver may not park. An exception to this rule allows a passenger to get in or out of the car, although the driver should not leave the car, unless the passenger is disabled and needs assistance or is a young child.

Cattach
01-Aug-07, 16:20
Ok I've just read through the screed in todays courier about changes to parking in Trail Street and Olrig Street in Thurso and can make no sense of it at all! Can someone please tell me will this, at last, stop buses from parking outside the Royal Hotel?

The Royal Hotel as very good access at the rear and a good drop off point there and it should not be necessary for buses to park at the door on Traill Street. It should not take a change to stop this practice as they are causing an obstruction and police action can be taken if they bothered.