PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Petrol Price rise again

Countryman
14-Jul-05, 15:28
Well it's almost there - almost a £1 a litre - Esso Pump in THURSO just in time for the Holiday visitors 99.9 for diesel 96.9 for unleaded - How does he justifiy it we must be the most expensive on the UK main Land.

Can't someone do something about it

Donnie
14-Jul-05, 15:36
I think just recently a very good explanation was given as to why petrol is more expensive in remote areas. If you want to save money then try walking more. I'm sure most car owners in the caithness area use their car for journeys that could easily be walked.

bandite
14-Jul-05, 17:58

lasher
14-Jul-05, 18:25
86.9p a litre unleaded at a Shell pumps in Aberdeen this morning, pretty sure the supermarkets are cheaper but havent checked.

warrior
14-Jul-05, 18:31
Lasher, What shell station was that?

bandite
14-Jul-05, 18:32
DELETED

warrior
14-Jul-05, 18:34
Whats the prices in Wick ?

BazzaG
14-Jul-05, 18:51
Maybe the reason for them upping there price is due to the fact that when Tesco's opens everybody will go there for their fuel so they want to make as much profit just now as possible while they still can

linzy222
14-Jul-05, 20:21
Richards garage in Thurso is still at 94.9p, but all the rest r up 2p dearer

lasher
14-Jul-05, 20:32
Warrior, it was the one on Great Northern Rd near the Haudigan.

bandite
15-Jul-05, 23:19

champagnebaby
16-Jul-05, 01:51
More chance o them going up with it being county show - every chule tryna make an extra pound. :roll:

brandy
16-Jul-05, 09:33
in wick its 94.9 right now! using the car sparingly! *grrr*

~~Tides~~
16-Jul-05, 14:25
The only reason they are Higher is PURE PROFit to the site owners [mad]

Didn't watch North Tonight last night then? Huge oil disaster in Mexico pushes up prices across the globe.

Anyway, of course its for profit, how else do you run a business? Specially one that is just holding on and no more to the little profit it can make.

wings
18-Jul-05, 12:27
Re all the ranting on the Tesco discussion about what local petrol pumps are going to do etc when tesco comes.....

We were told by someone that works in a Wik garage that soon as Tesco comes then the local pumps will go to exactly the same price. The garage owners will not loose out on their profit as its surely the same agreed amount between the company and the owner no matter what price its at per litre????

There are hundreds of Tesco's across the country, U dont see all the local pumps closing.. They just go to the same price!

But one thing i can be sure of is that once Tescos does come i will ONLY use them to get my petrol. The hike of prices up here recently no matter what the reason is has left a sour taste in my mouth, its ridiculous!! [mad] people wont forget that locally i hope.... Bring on Tesco's!!!! :D

~~Tides~~
18-Jul-05, 14:54
The garage owners will not loose out on their profit as its surely the same agreed amount between the company and the owner no matter what price its at per litre????

Are you so simple?? If you cut your price you get less money!!!!

BP or any other supplier is hardly going to feel sorry for the garages and sell it to them cheaper are they? The only thing they can cut is their already miniscule margin down to practicaly nothing.
Garages will close.

katarina
18-Jul-05, 15:27
Why don't the garages get together and buy bulk - like grocers do with spar and mace? Then they can afford to sell cheaper, if in fact that is the reason for their over the top prices.

Naefearjustbeer
18-Jul-05, 18:10
Why don't the garages get together and buy bulk - like grocers do with spar and mace? Then they can afford to sell cheaper, if in fact that is the reason for their over the top prices.

Looking at prices in spar shops I would say that they buy in bulk and sell at an inflated price [mad]

wings
18-Jul-05, 21:09
Are you so simple?? If you cut your price you get less money!!!!

BP or any other supplier is hardly going to feel sorry for the garages and sell it to them cheaper are they? The only thing they can cut is their already miniscule margin down to practicaly nothing.
Garages will close.[/quote]

--

Take a ccchhiilll tides......No need to get so hyper!!

If you read again what i wrote, the part you have responded to was a question i posed not a statement!! Mmhh Simple comes to mind!...

I dont give a dam if local petrol stations close.. What affect will it have on us the public??... Not a thing.. The only affect it will have is not enabling garage owners to make a mint by Ripping people of left.... right .. and centre any longer!!!!!

Let them all close!! :evil

~~Tides~~
18-Jul-05, 21:16
The only affect it will have is not enabling garage owners to make a mint by Ripping people of left.... right .. and centre any longer!!!!!

Ah!! Im gonna cry if I hear that again. GARAGES UP HERE HAVE A MINISCULE PROFIT MARGIN. ITS NOT THEM THAT ARE RIPPING YOU OFF.

ktb50
18-Jul-05, 22:45
Why are people so sure that if Tesco's come to Wick their prices are going to be any lower than the exsisting petrol pumps.

Surely it would be good practice for Tesco just to make their prices the same as everybody elses, that way, they will make more money.

They surely won't lower their prices to match Aberdeen etc prices, that would be poor buisness sense.

fluffybuffy
19-Jul-05, 12:41
I think just recently a very good explanation was given as to why petrol is more expensive in remote areas. If you want to save money then try walking more. I'm sure most car owners in the caithness area use their car for journeys that could easily be walked.

Ok, so where do you suggest I walk from and to in Spittal that I would normally use the car for the journey? And before anyone suggests public transport there isn't any unless you are going to Inverness where a couple of buses a day go south and return or the school bus or the Dounreay bus....

People in rural areas rely on their vehicles to get on with everyday life, and I don't think that telling us to walk is not very productive mate!

Several times my other half has jokingly suggested getting our own petrol pump and maybe it is the way to go....set up a co-op with other folks who want to do the same and see how much we could negotiate with the petrol companies to get our fuel for....

Naefearjustbeer
19-Jul-05, 13:47
someone at my work told me that they knew someone who put there own diesal tank in for refueling at home, They did not save much by doing this and had to buy the fuel in 1000 litres at a time

katarina
19-Jul-05, 15:28
The only affect it will have is not enabling garage owners to make a mint by Ripping people of left.... right .. and centre any longer!!!!!

Ah!! Im gonna cry if I hear that again. GARAGES UP HERE HAVE A MINISCULE PROFIT MARGIN. ITS NOT THEM THAT ARE RIPPING YOU OFF.

You may well be in a better position than most, Tides to tell us like it is. So why are the prices more expensive up here? I have heard the extra haulage arguement, but surely it comes by tankard into scrabster - so why would it be dearer in Thurso than Wick?
Not that i care - I get mine at the national average anyway.

cliffhbuber
19-Jul-05, 16:24
A fine day to all!

One certainly shouldn't pick away at the individual petrol service stations or retail dealers.
They indeed run a business with a very small margin of return unless a owner/dealer is willing to put in 16 hours a day.
Some economic commentators (don't they all have widely different observations?) suggest the price of petrol is 25% speculation.
But a key question to ask is: "What are the taxes on gasoline?" And, "Are the taxes being used for better highways?" (or, at least, for improved transportation, in general)

regards
Cliff of Northwestern Ontario by Lake Superior, Canada, where one typically drives 30 to 200 miles to have a coffee, a pint, a breakfast, or a bar-b-q with family or friends.

saffy100
19-Jul-05, 16:27
:(
I would just like to point out that the garage by Lidls is advertising Deisel at 99.9p a litre, you actually only get 5 litres dead on for £5 ......sooooo in actual fact the petrol is £1.00 a litre so its false advertising. I have enquired with trading standards on this as they may be getting away with rip off prices but i want every last drop that i pay for and if their pumps cannot keep up with the prices then they should be changed!!!!!

I have been travelling to wick to do my shopping and fill up out of principal that i would rather go there than fill the pockets of the Thurso pumps.

[mad]

~~Tides~~
19-Jul-05, 16:44
but i want every last drop that i pay for and if their pumps cannot keep up with the prices then they should be changed!!!!!

I have been travelling to wick to do my shopping and fill up out of principal that i would rather go there than fill the pockets of the Thurso pumps.

Some people just dont listen do they. Anyway, you can't physicaly get 00.1 pence worth of petrol unless you own a laboratory. The pricing boards only go up to 99.9 and 00.1 pence hardly makes a difference. So you are saying that you travel to Wick to save on a few pence worth of fuel. Did you stop and think how much it costs for a round trip of around 40 miles?? Your own stingyness is costing you more.

Kat - I am in a position to know but I hold my hands up, I really dont have a clue why they charge more for petrol up here, just the further north you go the more it costs to buy in. There really is no excuse but they are the companies that sell the fuel and can sell it for whatever they like. Leaving ind. garages with almost nothing.

saffy100
19-Jul-05, 16:55
I don't care whether the you can or can't or whether you need a laboratory, its false advertising.....get new boards if you want to charge the money.

And i'm not travelling to save money...if you read my post it was out of principal to give my money to someone less greedy..... :roll:

wings
19-Jul-05, 17:09
Tides............

Why are you always so agressive and cheeky when we post our issues on petrol prices..?
I know that your family run such a business but you come accross as if we are directing our issues at you and that is not the case...

We discuss something that really annoys us ...and to be honest you do so even more by replying with stupid immature comments such as " are you so simple"... "your stingyness"..

If you cannot respond decently i dont know why u bother... :confused

Donnie
19-Jul-05, 17:52

Ok, so where do you suggest I walk from and to in Spittal that I would normally use the car for the journey? And before anyone suggests public transport there isn't any unless you are going to Inverness where a couple of buses a day go south and return or the school bus or the Dounreay bus....

I'm sure that little bit of bold will make it clearer for you.

Drutt
20-Jul-05, 13:32
... of Northwestern Ontario by Lake Superior, Canada, where one typically drives 30 to 200 miles to have a coffee, a pint, a breakfast, or a bar-b-q with family or friends.
And then we wonder why the planet is doomed. :roll:

laguna2
20-Jul-05, 14:49
... of Northwestern Ontario by Lake Superior, Canada, where one typically drives 30 to 200 miles to have a coffee, a pint, a breakfast, or a bar-b-q with family or friends.
And then we wonder why the planet is doomed. :roll:

[lol] :D :) [lol]