PDA

View Full Version : Double Standards?

scotsboy
31-Jul-07, 16:41
Can't help thinking that if this guy was of Middle Eastern extraction he would be looking at life:

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/farright/story/0,,2138649,00.html

Alice in Blunderland
31-Jul-07, 18:30
I have to agree with you on this one Scotsboy. Middle Eastern person would definately be looking at a long long stay behind bars for this offence.

htwood
31-Jul-07, 19:34
Here's hoping the mental health folk are keeping an eye on him. Poor fellow, and poor neighbors for the explosives he had in the house.

anneoctober
31-Jul-07, 19:46
Here's hoping the mental health folk are keeping an eye on him. Poor fellow, and poor neighbors for the explosives he had in the house.
unfortunately, this chap will NEVER believe that what he did could have had horrendous implications for himself, family or neighbours. More importantly, what OR WHO is going to prevent him doing it all over again?

JAWS
31-Jul-07, 20:03
Here is a link to the report by the local paper for the area where he lived. It gives a more reasoned and less emotive account of the case.
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/headlines/display.var.1584517.0.exbnp_candidate_jailed_for_p ossessing_explosives.php

anneoctober
31-Jul-07, 20:18
Here is a link to the report by the local paper for the area where he lived. It gives a more reasoned and less emotive account of the case.
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/headlines/display.var.1584517.0.exbnp_candidate_jailed_for_p ossessing_explosives.php
I have read the link, JAWS - thank you. There's more background to the case explained here. It's hard to pass judgement/opinion on someone in a case like this. However although it explains his reasons, it's not a justification for the potential risk to himself or others. I note the paper does say EX - BNP member, would this suggest a change of viewpoint ?

fred
31-Jul-07, 20:28

No that is a less reasoned more emotive account.

Fact is he had a rocket launcher, a nuclear biological suit, BB guns, gas masks two 56 kilogram bags of sugar, a box of mini flares, 34 gas canisters, a selection of pellets, an air pistol and printed bomb recipes from The Anarchist’s Handbook. It was a record haul for British police.

Fact is if he'd been Asian he'd have got life and people on this forum would have been saying how hanging was too good for him.

anneoctober
31-Jul-07, 20:42
No that is a less reasoned more emotive account.

Fact is he had a rocket launcher, a nuclear biological suit, BB guns, gas masks two 56 kilogram bags of sugar, a box of mini flares, 34 gas canisters, a selection of pellets, an air pistol and printed bomb recipes from The Anarchist’s Handbook. It was a record haul for British police.

Fact is if he'd been Asian he'd have got life and people on this forum would have been saying how hanging was too good for him.
I can see where you coming from fred, to be honest, I was n't thinking about colour or political stance, just the safety of his family etc. Where did you get your info, I'd like to read it also.

Lolabelle
31-Jul-07, 20:49
Personally I dont think this man should be compared with the muslim extremists. He was threatened by them, not joining them. He wasn't out to destroy or harm others in a bid for world domination. But he was nutty and in need of restraint. But I don't think it is in the same boat as the muslim infiltration and terrorist problems. Still he was a danger to himself, family, neighbours and any imagined threat could have set him off.

fred
31-Jul-07, 21:08
I can see where you coming from fred, to be honest, I was n't thinking about colour or political stance, just the safety of his family etc. Where did you get your info, I'd like to read it also.

http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/paper/index.php?article=3052

fred
31-Jul-07, 21:15
Personally I dont think this man should be compared with the muslim extremists.

No he shouldn't.

Justice should be blind, especially to the colour of someone's skin.

If the penalty for having bomb making equipment is life then he should get life and if it's two and a half years then Muslims should get two and a half years for the same offence.

anneoctober
31-Jul-07, 21:38
http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/paper/index.php?article=3052
Thank you for that link fred. It seems to me that some mentally unstable people, cling onto a cause to give them a purpose to survive. I must admit to being a bit unnerved by the desire of a minority to bring killing and destruction here to their own front door. I'll have to give this some more thought orgers. Whatever happened to live and let live :confused

Lolabelle
31-Jul-07, 21:59
No he shouldn't.

It's not the skin colour that I was referring to. It was intent. Radical factions make no effort to disguise the fact that they would like to wipe infedels from the face of the earth. This bloke, however misguided, thought he was defending himself from some kind of attack.

johno
31-Jul-07, 22:06
but what makes this article of news more worrying is the fact that it gives every one the ingredients to home make bombs. dont think it,s going to take a rocket scientist to put it all together. [disgust]

Jeemag_USA
31-Jul-07, 22:08
If I fell for this guys plea and story I would give myself a good slap in the face and I can't believe for one minute anyone woudl have any sympathy for him. If there was ever to be a Civil War in the UK, I would lay good odds on the chances of the BNP being behind it! Forget about the middle east, what if this was in Northern Ireland and the man was a catholic and said he was keeping a rocket launcher in the event that Civil War might endanger his family, he woudl be looking at a long time in jail. This certainly is double standards and with a twisted mind like that his family is better off without him and he should have been stuck away for much longer. It makes a laughing stock of the judicial system and of the current 'heightened security alert' ???

Jeemag_USA
31-Jul-07, 22:10
but what makes this article of news more worrying is the fact that it gives every one the ingredients to home make bombs. dont think it,s going to take a rocket scientist to put it all together. [disgust]

Understand what your saying Johno, but its not really worrying me, recipes for making bombs are freely available to anyone with a PC and some time on their hands, the media is not telling anyone anything they can't easily find out themselves. The Anrchist's Cookbook has been circulating in printed form for many many years.

fred
31-Jul-07, 22:16
It's not the skin colour that I was referring to. It was intent. Radical factions make no effort to disguise the fact that they would like to wipe infedels from the face of the earth. This bloke, however misguided, thought he was defending himself from some kind of attack.

Yeh yeh if you're white you're mentally unstable poor fellow but if you're black you're just evil.

Lolabelle
31-Jul-07, 23:30
Yeh yeh if you're white you're mentally unstable poor fellow but if you're black you're just evil.

XOXOX Here are some kisses and hugs for you Fred. I just love your way of looking at things. XOXOX :D

JAWS
31-Jul-07, 23:42
Yeh yeh if you're white you're mentally unstable poor fellow but if you're black you're just evil.Definitely racial stereotyping!

bekisman
01-Aug-07, 07:39
I see the initial link to this Thread was from the Guardian - a well respected leftwing liberal rag - which stupidly listed the ingredients needed - but never mind.
This bloke was a rather simplistic chap who had a fear of civil unrest, and had actually stockpiled food, unlike your ubiquitous fundamentalist, who's planning to die. Correct he was totally wrong, but to base your argument on the fact that IF he was Black (don't you mean Asian) then he would be treated differently is pretty obtuse.

This man was not a 'fundamentalist' who had been indoctrinated by a religious organisation, he was not looking to get 40 virgins on his shoulder, (and no, the Police are not looking for the Martyrdom Video).
If on the other hand he was a Fundamentalist and fully intended to strap these 'explosives' to his body, get on the Lancaster 38a bus and when full of people turn his back towards a woman and child shout "God is Great" and blow the lot to smithereens, then yes, treat him like the rest.
So please lets get real.

fred
01-Aug-07, 09:52
So please lets get real.

Yes let's get real.

Someone who was not only a member but a candidate for a radical right wing organisation which worships Hitler, denies the Holocaust ever happened and who's members have been linked to a long string of racially motivated crimes gets caught with the largest haul of bomb making equipment in Britain ever. All anyone is bothered about is that he might have hurt his family and his neighbours, no concern at all that he might have gone out and blown up an Asian owned Newsagents.

Now let's see what would be said if he had been Asian.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=240750&highlight=bubba#post240750

Rheghead
01-Aug-07, 11:07

I agree, but race isn't at the heart of this case.

If the penalty for having bomb making equipment is life then he should get life and if it's two and a half years then Muslims should get two and a half years for the same offence.

The fact remains that the muslims who have this type of equipment want to use it to terrorise and breakdown our British society, I believe this guy wouldn't do that, he would only use his stuff in the event of our society breaking down. Hence any difference in the sentencing.

Tristan
01-Aug-07, 11:15
The fact remains that the muslims who have this type of equipment want to use it to terrorise and breakdown our British society, I believe this guy wouldn't do that, he would only use his stuff in the event of our society breaking down. Hence any difference in the sentencing.

I think you may be trying to spit hairs that aren't there.
Either way I don't want anyone with that type of "equipment" free on the streets or worst living next door me, my friends or my family!

Rheghead
01-Aug-07, 11:38
I think you may be trying to spit hairs that aren't there.

Am I? So a person who wants to defend his home in the the very unlikely event of mass civil disobedience should get the same sentence as someone who wants to indiscriminately maim/kill innocent people?:confused

Oddquine
01-Aug-07, 11:56
Am I? So a person who wants to defend his home in the the very unlikely event of mass civil disobedience should get the same sentence as someone who wants to indiscriminately maim/kill innocent people?:confused

No Rheghead...its a person who says he wants to defend his home in the the very unlikely event of mass civil disobedience.

Don't you think he went a bit OTT? Wouldn't one gun have done just as well?

Rheghead
01-Aug-07, 12:27
No Rheghead...its a person who says he wants to defend his home in the the very unlikely event of mass civil disobedience.

Well, the double standards will be against the Government for issuing us all with advice to prepare ourselves in case of terrorist attack and then punishing us for it. Having a biological warfare suit and a stockpile of food seems to me as just good preparation.

I for one, have bought potassium nitrate and sulphur from a chemist with the intention of making gunpowder (you can get the recipe from the Encyclopedia Britannica), doing that doesn't make me into a terrorist, just a teenager with an idle interest in chemistry.

scotsboy
01-Aug-07, 14:48
Jeemag wrote:
what if this was in Northern Ireland and the man was a catholic and said he was keeping a rocket launcher in the event that Civil War might endanger his family, he woudl be looking at a long time in jail.

As would a Protestant..........but it seems not if you are a white anglo saxon male living in England.

scotsboy
01-Aug-07, 15:18
I see the initial link to this Thread was from the Guardian - a well respected leftwing liberal rag - which stupidly listed the ingredients needed - but never mind.
This bloke was a rather simplistic chap who had a fear of civil unrest, and had actually stockpiled food, unlike your ubiquitous fundamentalist, who's planning to die. Correct he was totally wrong, but to base your argument on the fact that IF he was Black (don't you mean Asian) then he would be treated differently is pretty obtuse.

This man was not a 'fundamentalist' who had been indoctrinated by a religious organisation, he was not looking to get 40 virgins on his shoulder, (and no, the Police are not looking for the Martyrdom Video).
If on the other hand he was a Fundamentalist and fully intended to strap these 'explosives' to his body, get on the Lancaster 38a bus and when full of people turn his back towards a woman and child shout "God is Great" and blow the lot to smithereens, then yes, treat him like the rest.
So please lets get real.

In order to attain balance, here is how it was reported in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=472081&in_page_id=1770

I still think if he was of Middle Eastern origin he would be facing a tougher sentence - the facts are that he was indoctrinated into a fascist organization, he had material that was capable of making a bomb. (Full stop) I can see no other facts - he may also think God is Great.........we don't know that.