PDA

View Full Version : non-vegetarian cereals!

bekisman
30-Jul-07, 19:21
non-vegetarian cereals!

My other half enjoys her cereal, at the moment she's into "Kellogg's Frosted Wheats", just had a look at the ingredients and contains 'Beef Gelatin'.. mind you it does warn fatuously : "Contains Wheat"! but for vegetarians and some religions could be a bit of a problem

Angela
30-Jul-07, 19:30
Didn't this happen with Mars Bars recently?

Another reason for sticking to good old porridge oats! ;)

I used to eat various sugary cereals until I had a good look at the lists of ingredients...[evil]

Dadie
30-Jul-07, 19:30
my cousin is veggie but did not realise that gelatine was an animal product !

we told her half way through a strawberry jelly:lol:

she now checks the cartons of everything...

its amazing what its in!

seren
30-Jul-07, 20:01
it's like the rice krispies ad - it says they contain nothing but a whole grain of puffed rice but they don't tell you there's flavouring in there too. our son has a lot of food allergies and we couldn't understand why rice krispies sent him loopy :roll:

fred
30-Jul-07, 20:04
They put fish livers in beer too.

Dadie
30-Jul-07, 20:07
nice! what is that listed as on the ingredients as ?

bekisman
30-Jul-07, 20:11
Finings are also added to the beer before it is sent to the pub. This is a glutinous substance made from the swimbladders of fish. Finings sink through the beer, attracting particles of yeast, until the beer is clear. This natural process ensures an attractive product without needing to filter and remove flavour. Finings are not actually drunk, remaining in the sediment, nor do they alter the flavour.

anneoctober
30-Jul-07, 21:05
Finings are also added to the beer before it is sent to the pub. This is a glutinous substance made from the swimbladders of fish. Finings sink through the beer, attracting particles of yeast, until the beer is clear. This natural process ensures an attractive product without needing to filter and remove flavour. Finings are not actually drunk, remaining in the sediment, nor do they alter the flavour.
If I tell my hubby this, do you think he'll give up drinking beer..............?? [lol][lol]

Fluff
30-Jul-07, 21:05
i love frosted wheats. give me really bad wind though lol

karia
30-Jul-07, 21:19
I might just have some ,..toast!

Lovely, innocent toast!

You know who you are!:D

Karia,......

.....gonna do us some bacon, sausages and a wee tattie scone wi' that!

By your breakfasts are you known! :)

karia

karia
30-Jul-07, 21:33
UUMMPH!

Really hard day, mum can't take morphine as it supresses breathing.

She has had one lung, from aged 16, she's now 80 and the most lovely, crazy,feisty, blooming fantastic person.

Now she has late stage, terminal breast cancer,...It may win..but it'll have to put up a good fight.

No one ever tells you about this bit!

Knackered Karia,...Sharon & Stephen are also a bit depleted!:eek:

George Brims
30-Jul-07, 21:54
There are actually "vegetarian" beers and wines that don't use isinglass (fish-derived) finings. At least there are in the USA. But then here we have beef and chicken flavoured bottled water for pets...

karia
30-Jul-07, 22:54
Sorry Guys,

I thought I was pm'ing

Mucho embarrased!:(

Silly Karia.

I have no idea who Sharon & Stephen are!

Not at all...

...oh no!

Never heard of them!:roll:

Mmmn,...I hate subterfuge!

K, or S, as you please!

canuck
31-Jul-07, 00:12
There are actually "vegetarian" beers and wines that don't use isinglass (fish-derived) finings. At least there are in the USA. But then here we have beef and chicken flavoured bottled water for pets...

Apparently (and I say that because I heard it from a colleague whose wife is unable to digest gluten) there is produced in Quebec a quite drinkable gluten free beer. He said that it was made from rice. Not my idea of where I would want to find my refreshment, but with the many food allergies and intolerances that medical science is identifying, there will always be a market for alternatives to traditional beverages.

George Brims
31-Jul-07, 00:33
Apparently (and I say that because I heard it from a colleague whose wife is unable to digest gluten) there is produced in Quebec a quite drinkable gluten free bear. He said that it was made from rice. Not my idea of where I would want to find my refreshment, but with the many food allergies and intolerances that medical science is identifying, there will always be a market for alternatives to traditional beverages.
Sadly, beer purity laws not being as strict in the UK as in for instance Germany, rice is a frequent ingredient in quite a few industrial scale beers made in Scotland (or so I was told by a brewer from one of the big places). Sake in Japan is made from rice so I am sure there is nothing inherently wrong with it - it's just a source of carbohydrate to be converted to alcohol. I just prefer a nice well-rounded malty flavour, to which rice doesn't contribute much.

Cinders392
31-Jul-07, 08:21
They sneak gelatine into everything. I call myself a vegetarian but eat cheesecake like its going out of fashion! You wouldnt be able to eat anything if you checked out what half of the E numbers were. Im sure I read somewhere (vegetarian society) that the red smarties where dyed with remenants of crushed beetles!
Here is a list of E numbers to avoid when a dedicated vegetarian
E Numbers

Always non-vegetarian

E120 Cochineal

Can be produced from both vegetarian and non-vegetarian sources

E104** Quinoline Yellow
E160a(ii)** Alpha-, beta-, gamma carotene (may be held in gelatine matrix)
E161(g) Canthaxanthin
E252 Potassium Nitrate
E270* Lactic Acid
E304(i) Ascorbyl Palmitate
E304(ii) Ascorbyl Stearate
E322* Lecithin (may be made from battery eggs)
E325* Sodium Lactate
E326* Potassium Lactate
E327* Calcium Lactate
E422 Glycerol/Glycerin
E431 Polyoxyethylene (40) stearate
E432 Polyoxyethylene (20) sorbitan monolaurate
E433 Polyoxyethylene (20) sorbitan mono-oleate
E434 Polyoxyethylene (20) sorbitan monopalmitate
E435 Polyoxyethylene (20) sorbitan monostearate
E436 Polyoxyethylene (20) sorbitan tristearate
E442 Ammonium Phosphatides
E445 Glyceryl esters of wood rosin
E470(a) Sodium, potassium and calcium salts of fatty acids
E470(b) Magnesium salts of fatty acids
E471 Mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(a) Acetic acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(b) Lactic acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(c) Citric acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(d) Tartaric acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(e) Mono- and di-acetyl tartaric acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(f) Mixed acetic and tartaric acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E473 Sucrose esters of fatty acids
E474 Sucroglycerides
E475 Polyglycerol esters of fatty acids
E476 Polyglycerol esters of polycondensed fatty acids of caster oil
E477 Propane-1,2-diol esters of fatty acids
E479(b) Thermally oxidised soya bean oil interacted with mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E481 Sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate
E482 Calcium stearoyl-2-lactylate
E483 Stearyl tartrate
E491 Sorbitan monostearate
E492 Sorbitan tristearate
E493 Sorbitan monolaurate
E494 Sorbitan mono-oleate
E495 Sorbitan monopalmitate
E570 Stearic acid
E585 Ferrous Lactate
E631 Sodium 5'-inositate
E635 Sodium 5'-ribonucleotides
E640 Glycine and its sodium salt
E920 L-cysteine and L-cysteine hydrochloride
E966 Lactitol
E1105 Lysozyme (made from eggs)
E1518 Glycerol mono-, di- and tri-acetate

All other E Numbers are to the best of our knowledge always vegetarian

E numbers marked * may theoretically be made in a non vegetarian version, but are practically always suitable

E numbers marked ** are not themselves non vegetarian but may be carried in a gelatine carrier especially when used in liquids