PDA

View Full Version : Robbers!

captainpugwash
29-Jul-07, 18:27
I'm really sick of getting ripped off in this place, yes "Ripped off"! Was in Lidl earlier and they'd run out of sugar (79p) so I pops into that Jim Bews place, takes the bag of sugar to the counter and the guy says £1.10

£1.10?? a few hundred yards down the road a German supermarket is selling the same sugar for 79 pence and this outfit want to charge me an additional 31 pence.

I then stops off in the petrol station next to Lidl and have to fork out £1.03 per litre, it wouldn't be so bad if the staff in that place said hello or at least smiled in your general direction but they just sit there staring into space like zombies.

It's a total rip off up here, they've got the ball at their foot and, boy, they take advantage of it and make sure you pay retail "plus". The guy in Jim Bews told me you'd pay 90p for 500 grams of sugar in Castletown and claimed that £1.10 for a kilo was "cheap".... yeh, pull the other one son, it's got bells on it. He must have thought I'd sailed down the Thames on a banana boat.

I'm anti "one stop shops" like Tesco but can appreciate why locals are so happy it's arrived. There is no excuse for charging people way over the odds for things, "location" my foot it's downright greed IMO.

percy toboggan
29-Jul-07, 19:07
I'm not surprised an independent grocer far from distibution depots is charging just 30% more than a national chain (who are famed for low priced loss leaders).
Sounds as if you don't like it 'up there'
What did you expect?

Ash
29-Jul-07, 19:26
i tend to do most of my shopping in lidl as its heap cheaper, somerfield, coop and tesco are awfully over expensive! i can buy everything i need in lidl for £40 yet when i do it in the other places its double that!!!!!!!1

captainpugwash
29-Jul-07, 19:48
What did you expect?

Cheap petrol, certainly "not" the most expensive petrol in the UK. If all this hype about Scottish oil is true then you'd expect it to be marginally cheaper up here, or at the very least, in line with the rest of the UK but no it's more expensive.

Sounds as if you don't like it 'up there'

I love it up here, what makes you think me complaining about the price of a bag of sugar means I don't like the place? I also moan about the weather, doesn't mean I don't like the place.

I'm not surprised an independent grocer far from distibution depots is charging just 30% more than a national chain (who are famed for low priced loss leaders).

Oh not that same old tired excuse again, these guys could drive 500 yards down the road to Lidl buy sugar at 79 pence and still turn a profit selling it for 99p please don't try to suggest that the distributors charge more for their sugar because they have to deliver to Caithness. I can get 50 large jiffy bags shipped up to me next day for £10.45 (includes delivery) that's 20 pence per bag, these guys sell the same bags for £1.20 each (and they probably get them from the same place and get a price break so likely they pay 10p per bag) it's not just sugar, it's pretty much everything and "distribution / logistics" is a pretty lame excuse... a bottle of Bells whiskey doesn't cost 3 times the price down in Cornwall..... think about it ;)

bekisman
29-Jul-07, 20:06
Funny how the petrol stations in Wick are all still in business, in spite of Tesco, so they must still be making a profit. Thurso is about 5p a litre more that Wick (but you would not know that as they have ALL taken down their large price boards, get 'em to drive in off the road and park up against the pump before they realize they are about to get fleeced).
We live out west and bypass Thurso as it's such a rip-off, i.e. Co-op, Somerfield, fuel. Doing a weekly shop over in Wick easily covers our extra fuel costs. When in Wick we shop in Tesco, have a meal in Wheatherspoon, bit of shopping in Woolies, look around the charity shops, into the 99p shop then home - again bypassing Thurso. Councillor Saxon voted against Asda, we await the decision after the meeting in August to see if they will be permitted to build on Pennyland. Because of him there is no 'levelling' supermarket that would have encouraged shoppers to use Thurso - have you seen the exodus from there to Wick Saturdays? Whatever happened to Councillor Saxon at the last election?
"Should support your local shops" WHY!? Bottom line: the SHOPS are here for US, not us for the Shops. I want to watch my money and not subsidise locals, I will spend it where I get the best deal. We're buying a new electric Cooker, I can get it delivered from down the line for £150 Less than local.
W & D Ross in Thurso; went in there the other day, I understood that they had bought up the bankrupt stock from Bridge end Stores? the prices were too high for me so Homebase was a better bet. Got some MacGas LPG cylinders, rang W & D Ross, won't exchange, want £10 deposit for Calor. Went to Thurso Building Supplies; no such problems. We feed the birds so try and buy Black Sunflower seeds up here.. Get 40 kilos for £32 delivered overnight! Yes, for too long the 'we've got em trapped up here' mentality has prevailed - I'll shop where I get the best value, thank you very much.

Dadie
29-Jul-07, 20:30
where do you get the black sunflower seeds and do they do a good deal on peanuts too?

footie chick
29-Jul-07, 21:21
, bit of shopping in Woolies, .

I'm the same Woolies in Wick is miles better than Thurso along with Mackays and DE' Shoes at least you get service with a smile in Wick.
I have found myself making my way to Wick more regularlly not just for Tescos I also like the Coop {better than Thurso also}.
The fuel prices in Wick does influence my decision why are they soo much cheaper when the fuel is shipped into Thurso????

bekisman
29-Jul-07, 21:58
Dadie: "where do you get the black sunflower seeds and do they do a good deal on peanuts too?"

Not sure I can advertise company on the forum? so have sent you a PM with the contact details..

Dadie
29-Jul-07, 22:22
ta
bird food going cheep is always good

my mum likes feeding the birds that visit the garden and i need a pressie to say thank you for her work in taking the dog and Lauren while we paint..etc..

on another note these caithness is expensive threads get thrashed out ever so often cant people see that wages are average, houses are cheap, consumables are dearer ... cant have everything... shop around .. life is to short!

captainpugwash
29-Jul-07, 22:41
why are they soo much cheaper when the fuel is shipped into Thurso????

Possibly there are more passing tourists in Thurso so the garages hike up their prices to coin in a few more pence per litre, remember that station next to Lidl is prime time for all the tourists filling up before they take the ferry over to the Orkneys. There is no other reason than all out greed and taking advantage of people, I'm sure if they could they would also doctor the pumps so you only got 10 litres when the pump says 15 litres.... thankfully (hopefully) these things are checked.

My local shop (only shop) charges 34 pence for a packet of Rizla fag papers, these are 20 - 22p anywhere else. I asked the guy why they were so expensive and he told me it was due to the location and the "added expense" of getting them delivered to his shop........ what a load of grade A tripe! Truth is they're that price as he has the ball at his foot and can charge whatever he likes knowing that 9 times out of ten customers will just pay up.

He's service with a smile personified with all the banter and jokes but the second you're out of the shop and look in the window his face is looking directly into the till with the expression "another mug making me richer" you soon see through the false smiles and see the real person behind the mask.

Another thing I've noticed about these small shops..... they never price tag anything, you buy a couple of pounds of potatoes, a loaf of bread and a pint of milk and "that'll be £17.97 please" If I ever go into that shop I only come out with items that are marked by the manufacturer (ie: frozen peas 99p) no way would I waltz around gayly filling a basket full of potentially exorbitant priced goods.... maybe I'm a cheapskate, I dunno, but I always shout out "excuse me mate, how much is this" when I'm in one of these licensed robbers premises and when they shout back some ridiculous amount I reply with "how much?!! you got to be having a laugh mate!" (you can tell I'm not from these parts :Razz) "£2.07 for a cucumber?! You gotta be joking mate I wouldn't pay that if it came from soil fertilised with her Maj the Queen's droppings!"

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who frequent that shop and come out with bags full of over-priced rotting fruit... they either don't have cars, have more money than sense or are just plain stoopid.... it has quite a healthy turnover of local knuckleheads parting with their hard earned big style.... I'm all for supporting the local village shop but I'm totally against supporting a greedy shopkeeper who would gladly sell you a 9 year past its sell by date pot noodle as soon as look at you. No way am I saying where this shop is (I don't want to be tarred and feathered and then birched for good measure) but does it sound familiar?

captainpugwash
29-Jul-07, 22:47
cant have everything... shop around .. life is to short!

The thing is you really "can't" shop around here, that's my point, and the shopkeepers know it and take advantage of that fact.......

You caught my drift yet?

seren
29-Jul-07, 22:55
i was born and bred in a tourist area of the uk and it was amazing how the prices in the local shops used to jump up in the summer, and always on the essentials [evil]

Foxy
29-Jul-07, 23:41
Village shops are usually more expensive than the supermarkets as there turn over is not so big, but no one forces anyone to shop in them that is up to the individual, many people who don't have there own transport are grateful that they have a wee shop in there area. I come from an community that had a local shop but it closed a number of years ago and is greatly missed, not only was it handy for papers, milk, bread, etc. but we used to meet other members of the community and catch up on what was happening in the area. Unfortunately if i run out of anything now i have to go 10 miles into town to buy it. :(

Rheghead
30-Jul-07, 01:32
Thurso is about 5p a litre more that Wick (but you would not know that as they have ALL taken down their large price boards, get 'em to drive in off the road and park up against the pump before they realize they are about to get fleeced)

I've noticed that as well and I also seem to remember a petrol seller in England telling me years ago that it is a requirement of the trading laws to show the price clearly from the road.

fandango
30-Jul-07, 04:34
cap'npuggie, yer talkin pennies here....pennies....compared to supporting your local businesses. Fine if that's what you want to whine about, but you'll be whinin louder when your cheep ways have helped close the local shops and the only choice betwenn here and inverness is Lidls.
What then if LIdls doesnt stock what you want, or worse, if they raise there prices to what the local shops used to charge....oh that would be fun. Might be fun to see you have a fit over 10p more for yer stinkin fag papers. I'll be watchin.

captainpugwash
30-Jul-07, 05:47

jay
30-Jul-07, 08:58
Funny how the petrol stations in Wick are all still in business, in spite of Tesco, so they must still be making a profit. Thurso is about 5p a litre more that Wick (but you would not know that as they have ALL taken down their large price boards, get 'em to drive in off the road and park up against the pump before they realize they are about to get fleeced).
We live out west and bypass Thurso as it's such a rip-off, i.e. Co-op, Somerfield, fuel. Doing a weekly shop over in Wick easily covers our extra fuel costs. When in Wick we shop in Tesco, have a meal in Wheatherspoon, bit of shopping in Woolies, look around the charity shops, into the 99p shop then home - again bypassing Thurso. Councillor Saxon voted against Asda, we await the decision after the meeting in August to see if they will be permitted to build on Pennyland. Because of him there is no 'levelling' supermarket that would have encouraged shoppers to use Thurso - have you seen the exodus from there to Wick Saturdays? Whatever happened to Councillor Saxon at the last election?
"Should support your local shops" WHY!? Bottom line: the SHOPS are here for US, not us for the Shops. I want to watch my money and not subsidise locals, I will spend it where I get the best deal. We're buying a new electric Cooker, I can get it delivered from down the line for £150 Less than local.
W & D Ross in Thurso; went in there the other day, I understood that they had bought up the bankrupt stock from Bridge end Stores? the prices were too high for me so Homebase was a better bet. Got some MacGas LPG cylinders, rang W & D Ross, won't exchange, want £10 deposit for Calor. Went to Thurso Building Supplies; no such problems. We feed the birds so try and buy Black Sunflower seeds up here.. Get 40 kilos for £32 delivered overnight! Yes, for too long the 'we've got em trapped up here' mentality has prevailed - I'll shop where I get the best value, thank you very much.

JUst to keep the record straight - ALL THREE COUNCILLORS for the Thurso area voted - not against ASDA but against the proposed building which went against the local plan, Councillor Saxon tried to get Asda to look at other pieces of ground - give the guy a break! and incidentally if you do a price check between Somerfield/Co-op and Tesco you will actually find that in a lot of cases Tesco is more expensive - their prices seem to have gone up considerable since they opened and as a point of interest their official price check in the store is against Morrisons and Sainsbury's(I think) not against any other local supermarket - yes they do have more choice but no they are not cheaper on all named brands

Ricco
30-Jul-07, 09:23
Interesting thread and responses here. I would have thought the best option would be to vote with your feet - shop where you get the best deal. I am all for supporting your local traders but if they are maximising their profits at the expense of their supporters then this is taking the 'mick' somewhat, isn't it!

Local traders do need to make a living and they do not always have the bulk-purchasing power of the big names but they can still make a decent living without over-charging. Scotland may had its oil fields but it is piped to English refineries who then charge for it to be shipped back to Scotland. By the way, I agree with Rheghead (this is becoming too regular a thing, Rheg) that the petrol stations are supposed to advertise their proces on roadside signs that can be read from the road.

Local traders can be much better for local produce. We do not have a wet fish shop anywhere around here and the supermarkets are the only source - the quality is extremely poor so we do not have fish on our table these days. At least the North has excellent facilities in this case.

I have noticed that our last shop at Asda was considerably more expensive than usual - something is afoot!

Dadie
30-Jul-07, 09:52
I agree with you Ricco food may be cheaper in the supermarkets but the best meat comes from the butchers it may be slightly more expensive but not always...but it is local, cut how you want it , sausages are better!

fish is better at the local fish shops too...

J.O.G tatties are good too more taste..

supermarkets for bread, milk, loo roll though!

jimbews
30-Jul-07, 09:59
I'm really sick of getting ripped off in this place, yes "Ripped off"! Was in Lidl earlier and they'd run out of sugar (79p) so I pops into that Jim Bews place, takes the bag of sugar to the counter and the guy says £1.10

Just for the record - I have nothing to do with the shop mentioned (although I may be a very distant cousin), but I remember similar stories from the time (over 40 years ago) when supermarkets first became common.

My uncle had a couple of shops in Aberdeen, and in an attempt to compete with the supermarkets organised the Aberdeen Grocers Buying Group. They bought in bulk from suppliers, bypassing some of the wholesalers, but still could not compete with the supermarkets. In fact it would still have been cheaper for them to buy the likes of sugar from their local supermarket. Especially at this time of year when people make jam and supermarkets may actually sell the likes of sugar at a loss: a "loss leader" to get you into the store.

Why do you think there are all these stories about food suppliers getting ripped off by the supermarkets? They deal directly with suppliers in volumes that enable them to dictate terms. Did you never hear the stories of how supermarkets will actually TELL their suppliers that there are to be special offers and that the SUPPLIERS will actually subsidise these, not the supermarket?

OK, I admit I shop at the likes of Tesco. And so here in St Andrews the local shops are fast disappearing and we are left with a town centre which mainly seems populated by charity shops. Independent petrol stations closed. Newsagents, clothes, electrical goods, etc, etc. Sound familiar?

So, in the future, when Lidl runs out of sugar you likely won't be able to find somewhere else to buy it.

JimBews

bekisman
30-Jul-07, 10:20
Jay:
JUst to keep the record straight - ALL THREE COUNCILLORS for the Thurso area voted - not against ASDA but against the proposed building which went against the local plan, Councillor Saxon tried to get Asda to look at other pieces of ground - give the guy a break! and incidentally if you do a price check between Somerfield/Co-op and Tesco you will actually find that in a lot of cases Tesco is more expensive - their prices seem to have gone up considerable since they opened and as a point of interest their official price check in the store is against Morrisons and Sainsbury's(I think) not against any other local supermarket - yes they do have more choice but no they are not cheaper on all named brands.

Councillor Saxon (sorry 'Mr') was - I understand one of THREE councillors who voted against - thought that one of those was Smith from Wick?. It's water under the bridge but seem to remember Pennyland was reserved for a hotel or stadium? just as noisy. I asked Tesco why they did not compare Co-op and Somerfield, they say because those two stores do not have a policy of matching prices with the 'big four'.
Reference your "Tesco you will actually find that in a lot of cases Tesco is more expensive" Be very pleased if you could provide a list..

Ash
30-Jul-07, 10:24
i to find that tesco have gotten expensive, they are good for clothes and household items but when i have done a food shop there its expensive im looking at my 5bags of shopping and thinking how on earth did it come to that!

seren
30-Jul-07, 11:04
i can understand small shops charging more for stuff than the supermarkets but it doesn't explain them bumping up prices for the holiday season. that's just plain greedy.

bekisman
30-Jul-07, 11:19
Talking about the smaller shops, down in London there's a chap called Jack Cohen, who has a modest background (son of a Polish Taylor) he started selling groceries in a market in Hackney 'at reasonable prices' (he used his gratuity from his Army service to buy extra goods,) and gradually he's prospered..
I wonder how many wingers complained about him? I'm not being totally honest as Jack Cohen started Tesco's back in 1919 - the rest is true.
Incidentally in case you've ever wondered why it's called Tesco: The Tesco brand first appeared in 1924. The name came about after Jack Cohen bought a large shipment of TEA from T.E. Stockwell. He made new labels by using the first three letters of the supplier's name (TES) and the first two letters of his surname (CO) forming the word "TESCO".
So there you are, Acorns and all that..

jay
30-Jul-07, 13:11
Jay:
JUst to keep the record straight - ALL THREE COUNCILLORS for the Thurso area voted - not against ASDA but against the proposed building which went against the local plan, Councillor Saxon tried to get Asda to look at other pieces of ground - give the guy a break! and incidentally if you do a price check between Somerfield/Co-op and Tesco you will actually find that in a lot of cases Tesco is more expensive - their prices seem to have gone up considerable since they opened and as a point of interest their official price check in the store is against Morrisons and Sainsbury's(I think) not against any other local supermarket - yes they do have more choice but no they are not cheaper on all named brands.

Councillor Saxon (sorry 'Mr') was - I understand one of THREE councillors who voted against - thought that one of those was Smith from Wick?. It's water under the bridge but seem to remember Pennyland was reserved for a hotel or stadium? just as noisy. I asked Tesco why they did not compare Co-op and Somerfield, they say because those two stores do not have a policy of matching prices with the 'big four'.
Reference your "Tesco you will actually find that in a lot of cases Tesco is more expensive" Be very pleased if you could provide a list..

The three Thurso councillors were, Messrs Saxon, Mackay and Jackson - the fourth vote was the committee chairman Councillor Smith from Wick who cast his deciding vote. As for providing you with a list of items cheaper in other supermarkets - sorry can't do as I stopped shopping in Tesco when I realised like Ash, I was not getting value for money, better choice maybe but for the brands that I normally buy I was cheaper elsewhere, haven't been in the shop for over a month now and don't really intent to go back or at least certainly not for food shopping.

bekisman
30-Jul-07, 16:10
Sorry Jay, I was incorrect, there were three Thurso councillors.

You say "but for the brands that I normally buy it was cheaper elsewhere" - what were these? I am intrigued!.

Presumable when (if) ASDA comes to your town (Thurso) you won't be shopping there either?

thebigman
31-Jul-07, 00:16
Another thing I've noticed about these small shops..... they never price tag anything, you buy a couple of pounds of potatoes, a loaf of bread and a pint of milk and "that'll be £17.97 please"

If the shops are not displaying prices then I suggest you contact Trading Standards about this.

I'd also have bought the fag papers when you were in Bews' having a rant about the sugar!

jay
31-Jul-07, 08:07
Sorry Jay, I was incorrect, there were three Thurso councillors.

You say "but for the brands that I normally buy it was cheaper elsewhere" - what were these? I am intrigued!.

Presumable when (if) ASDA comes to your town (Thurso) you won't be shopping there either?

From memory last time I was there, it was things like lurpak spreadable, soap powder, coffee and pringle crisps can't really remember what else, and as to Asda, i will shop there if I find their prices better than elsewhere, quite simple I will shop where I get the best deal

pentlander
31-Jul-07, 09:03

£1.10?? a few hundred yards down the road a German supermarket is selling the same sugar for 79 pence and this outfit want to charge me an additional 31 pence.

I then stops off in the petrol station next to Lidl and have to fork out £1.03 per litre, it wouldn't be so bad if the staff in that place said hello or at least smiled in your general direction but they just sit there staring into space like zombies.

It's a total rip off up here, they've got the ball at their foot and, boy, they take advantage of it and make sure you pay retail "plus". The guy in Jim Bews told me you'd pay 90p for 500 grams of sugar in Castletown and claimed that £1.10 for a kilo was "cheap".... yeh, pull the other one son, it's got bells on it. He must have thought I'd sailed down the Thames on a banana boat.

I'm anti "one stop shops" like Tesco but can appreciate why locals are so happy it's arrived. There is no excuse for charging people way over the odds for things, "location" my foot it's downright greed IMO.
I think the key point in your post is that they had run out. They could be selling sugar at 5p a packet but what use is that if they had run out.
A lot a people on here who slag of a lot of local businesses I doubt would have the gumption to run one for 6 months let alone the decades that some of locals have done.
Expecting a local independant newsagent to compete with one of Europes biggest discount retailers is just plain daft.

bekisman
31-Jul-07, 12:53
I've had a number of folk sending me PM's asking where we got the 40kgs of Sunflower Seeds for £32 delivered, so checked with admin and it's ok for me to put the link here:
www.wildbirdfood.uk.com (http://www.wildbirdfood.uk.com)

gollach
31-Jul-07, 13:27
I've noticed that as well and I also seem to remember a petrol seller in England telling me years ago that it is a requirement of the trading laws to show the price clearly from the road.

I think that used to be the case but according to this (http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=adv1011-1111.txt), the requirement is now

"Petrol stations must show the unit price of petrol at the pump."

and haven't petrol stations in Thurso risen to meet the letter of the law [evil]

bothyman
31-Jul-07, 15:20
I've had a number of folk sending me PM's asking where we got the 40kgs of Sunflower Seeds for £32 delivered, so checked with admin and it's ok for me to put the link here:
www.wildbirdfood.uk.com (http://www.wildbirdfood.uk.com)

Bekisman.

where do you stay ??? as it says.

Shipping And Handling
Our prices include shipping and handling for England, Wales and the Scottish Lowlands.
Orders for other areas are charged at carrier's cost. We will notify you of any extra amount to cover these areas.

So how much are the extra Carriers costs??????

bekisman
31-Jul-07, 16:09
bothyman: Bekisman. where do you stay ??? as it says.Shipping And Handling Our prices include shipping and handling for England, Wales and the Scottish Lowlands. Orders for other areas are charged at carrier's cost. We will notify you of any extra amount to cover these areas.
So how much are the extra Carriers costs??????

Hi I live 24 miles from Thurso, we queried this too but all they said was it might take longer and - we had 40kgs seed for £32 last July (2006) and agin this July at no extra charge, first time was via TNT overnight too!

('Liz' above also uses them and she's 'local') hope this helps..

pentlander
02-Aug-07, 13:05
The original poster should get down to thurso and visit the continental market. Bread £2.50 a loaf and £2.20 for a hot dog. Sorry frankfurter. Two sausages for a tenner.

What would he say if Johnsons tried to charge £2.50 for a small batch loaf he would most likely

camor
03-Aug-07, 05:24
If the original poster isn't happy about the prices up here, he knows how to solve that one. Move!!

Rheghead
03-Aug-07, 14:59
The thing is, the continental market is only here a few days out of the year and has lots of novelty factor.

Ash
03-Aug-07, 15:19
the market is fab!!

and i collect these japanese dolls and they are selling them this year and they are quite abit cheaper than the shop in thurso that sells them, so im buying some before they go!!:D

connieb19
03-Aug-07, 15:23
Does anyone know what time the Continental Market is open till?

northener
04-Aug-07, 08:47
Pugwash, If you believe that small shops should be going into direct competition on a cost basis with the likes of Tescos, Lidl etc - then you are away with the fairies.

If you was running an independant shop (God Forbid), what would YOU pay wholesale for this bag of sugar? How would YOU then arrive at your sale price and how many bags of sugar would YOU have to sell to make a living then? Answer, please?

I think when you have the brains to look at the problem from the vendors viewpoint, you may actually change your tune a little.

Having said that, looking at the comments about vendors 'smirking in their tills', 'it's a rip-off up here' etc and your general eagerness to deride any business that is not prepared to charge you a Pugwash friendly price would leave me to believe that even if they gave you the goods for nothing, you would still complain loudly about something.