PDA

View Full Version : Rude Awakening

karia
29-Jul-07, 14:25
This lovely Sunday morning I was awakened not by the sun steaming in the window but by my neighbours who had workmen shovelling concrete in their garden. It was 6.00am!:mad:

I always understood that in residential areas there were restrictions on how early you could start making such noise and how late into the evening you could continue.
Like Ice-Cream vans not being allowed to sound chimes after 10pm, that sort of thing.

Does anyone know what the score is?

Naturally they had the radio on to keep them entertained.:roll:

Grumpy Karia

johno
29-Jul-07, 14:51
if its a one off , you could give them a bit of slack as they were probably doing it at the weekend to save a bit of money. not worth falling out over
if they are all right otherwise. maybe they could have given you some warning though. :~(

karia
29-Jul-07, 15:03
if its a one off , you could give them a bit of slack as they were probably doing it at the weekend to save a bit of money. not worth falling out over
if they are all right otherwise. maybe they could have given you some warning though.

Hi johno,

I am a sweet natured soul, value my neighbours and do not intend even mentioning the subject to them.:D

It simply raised my curiosity as to what the actual legal position is.

I can remember my parents being most conscientious about not making noise early or late in the day and have noticed that this civility appears to be less and less important these days.

( of course next time they do it I'm getting my drums out!;))

Karia

connieb19
29-Jul-07, 15:04
I'm sure you're not allowed to make a noise between 11pm and 7am.

percy toboggan
29-Jul-07, 15:09
I'd have asked 'em to turn the radio off at the very least.
I'm up at six most mornings but at weekends I like the choice.
Often awoken by aching buttocks, noisy workmen are not much of an alternative.
My penchant for foul and abusive language might have been exercised in these circumstances. I admire your reticence and your 'bite my lip' attitude.

karia
29-Jul-07, 15:19
[quote=percy toboggan;248642 Often awoken by aching buttocks,[/quote]

Had your backside kicked lately have you percy? Or is that your nickname for the wife!;):D

Karia

marjoalba
29-Jul-07, 15:23
Connie your quote about the pigs is good, but "I'm sure you're not allowed to make a noise between 11pm and 7am", where is that from, the planet Lala?

connieb19
29-Jul-07, 15:25
Connie your quote about the pigs is good, but "I'm sure you're not allowed to make a noise between 11pm and 7am", where is that from, the planet Lala?
Thanks but I'm sure Karia knows what I was meaning. :roll:

percy toboggan
29-Jul-07, 15:26
Had your backside kicked lately have you percy? Or is that your nickname for the wife!;)

Karia
LOL/ :lol: actually it's called osteo-arthritis, more of a pain than once in a blue moon workmen I can tell 'ee.
p.s. I've told 'er and yer due a good mawlin.

Geo
29-Jul-07, 15:50
I'm no expert however I think the noise has to be over a certain level of decibels before it is a legal issue.

horseman
29-Jul-07, 15:58
Had your backside kicked lately have you percy? Or is that your nickname for the wife!

Karia

Got to be just about your best one yet karia:cool:I can't stop laughing+marjoalba's observation about connie's pigs is spot on:)

Lolabelle
29-Jul-07, 23:54
Had your backside kicked lately have you percy? Or is that your nickname for the wife!;)

Karia

I actually thought that this comment was a bit beneath the belt...[lol]

johno
30-Jul-07, 08:28
Hi johno,

I am a sweet natured soul, value my neighbours and do not intend even mentioning the subject to them.

It simply raised my curiosity as to what the actual legal position is.

I can remember my parents being most conscientious about not making noise early or late in the day and have noticed that this civility appears to be less and less important these days.

( of course next time they do it I'm getting my drums out!;))

Karia
ah, the old values, where did they go to. :~(

Angela
30-Jul-07, 08:50
ah, the old values, where did they go to. :~(

I do like your new avatar, johno! Although I'll miss that poor old donkey...;)

Lolabelle
30-Jul-07, 08:57
I do like your new avatar, johno! Although I'll miss that poor old donkey...;)

I quite liked the donkey :Razz

seren
30-Jul-07, 09:48
i too thought noise levels had to be lower between 11 and 7 or 8 in the morning. i'm sure it's 8 in england as the workmen working on a house in our street have been making a god-awful racket and they start dead on 8 o'clock.
are they working today or is it just a one-off?

bekisman
30-Jul-07, 09:57
Karia, you need a nice quiet place where only the wind makes a sound, or the gentle sound of a solitary gull which is not twirly in the morning!

Angela
30-Jul-07, 10:08
i too thought noise levels had to be lower between 11 and 7 or 8 in the morning. i'm sure it's 8 in england as the workmen working on a house in our street have been making a god-awful racket and they start dead on 8 o'clock.
are they working today or is it just a one-off?

I too always thought the hours of "quiet" were between 11 and 7, but the guys working on the building my flat's in for 4 months last year started BANG on 8 o'clock, so perhaps that's the correct time. Thankfully they didn't work on Sundays, and not usually on Saturdays either.

It wasn't only the work that was the problem -more the tinny radio belting out and the endless, mindless swearing at the top of their voices, that was so very wearing...and the fact they completely destroyed the communal garden...it felt like living on a building site, but then it was so peaceful when the job was finally finished! :)

karia
30-Jul-07, 10:20
....Ah! Builders!....Where to begin?;)

Different lot this morning, didn't start until 7am!

Karia

seren
30-Jul-07, 10:23
hmmm, the swearing - it got so bad here even our kids were shouting at them to tone it down a bit :roll:

karia
30-Jul-07, 10:27
hmmm, the swearing - it got so bad here even our kids were shouting at them to tone it down a bit :roll:

Hi Seren, Thanks for that,...it's my first laugh of the day!;)

Karia

scorrie
30-Jul-07, 10:41
Every time we have the builders at our house there is a complaint about the swearing. I was talking to the Foreman and he said "E're Guv, do you think you could ask your kids to calm it down a bit? Me lads' nerves are shot to bits!!"

laguna2
30-Jul-07, 10:53
Every time we have the builders at our house there is a complaint about the swearing. I was talking to the Foreman and he said "E're Guv, do you think you could ask your kids to calm it down a bit? Me lads' nerves are shot to bits!!"

:lol: wicked! [lol]

karia
30-Jul-07, 10:55

Thanks Scorrie,...second laugh of the day!:D

My! we're all on good form today, the sun must be shining!

Karia

thebigman
31-Jul-07, 00:22
Noise can be a statutory nuisance no matter what time of day it happens.

Normal limits would be 0 - 5 dB above the background levels, nuisance unlikely to occur, 5 - 10 dB above background level nuisance may occur over 10 dB nuisance is likely. The duration of the noise would also be taken into account.

I suggest you approach your neighbour and request a later start and if this fails contact Environmental Health.