PDA

View Full Version : 101 non-emergency number

bekisman
28-Jul-07, 09:58
101 non-emergency number

Has anyone any up to date news when this excellent idea will be in Scotland?: http://www.101.gov.uk/faqs/index.html (http://www.101.gov.uk/faqs/index.html)

seren
28-Jul-07, 14:45
i was watching the news this morning when they were playing some of the ridiculous time-wasting 999 calls. one woman phoned to say she was psychic and worried about a friend of hers having an accident. in some areas the rate of stupid calls was about 85% :eek:

brandy
28-Jul-07, 15:55
i know my children have called 999 before..

seren
28-Jul-07, 17:01
so have mine - the joy of push button phones :roll:
the worst one we had was when 2 coppers knocked our door at 3 in the morning. i couldn't understand in my half-awake state what they wanted and thought someone i knew had died, but it turned out i'd left the phone on the bed and dialled 999 with my expansive backside during the night :eyes luckily the coppers were very understanding.

Tubthumper
28-Jul-07, 17:13
When this excellent idea is implemented, will it be a UK call centre that deals with the calls or....

airdlass
28-Jul-07, 17:23
i know my children have called 999 before..

I remember the trouble I got into as a child for dialing 999:(
Twenty years later as a BT telephonist I was answering these calls and having to transfer them through to the emergency services.

orkneylass
28-Jul-07, 17:47
Ofcourse we already have NHS24 for medical advice and information.

Ash
28-Jul-07, 18:08
Ofcourse we already have NHS24 for medical advice and information.

but they really aint that great now are they!:confused

seren
28-Jul-07, 19:10
the only advice i've had every time i've rung them is to go and see a doctor :rolleyes:

Angela
28-Jul-07, 19:22
I phoned NHS24 once on a Saturday morning, when my local health centre was closed. The nurse I spoke to said yes, I really should see a doctor asap.

She suggested I could just nip in a taxi to the out of hours service at the nearest hospital -still a fair distance away, and I'd nobody to accompany me.

I stood my ground and said there really was no way at all that I could leave the house, I couldn't even get dressed, let alone go out, I was so ill, and she did eventually give way, but it was an uphill battle to get her to accept that.

Two doctors (?!) then came to see me within the hour, examined me thoroughly and gave me medication and a prescription to get made up, but told me that I should ask for a home visit from my GP on the Monday.

I was very pleased with the outcome, but the nurse on the phone made me feel I was being unreasonable, and I could easily have allowed myself to be fobbed off.

karia
28-Jul-07, 19:23
101 non-emergency number

Has anyone any up to date news when this excellent idea will be in Scotland?: http://www.101.gov.uk/faqs/index.html (http://www.101.gov.uk/faqs/index.html)

Hi bekisman,

The Scottish Executive Justice Dept. should be able to provide you with the most recent developments in this area.

Karia

bekisman
28-Jul-07, 19:26
I wrote to the Scottish Executive Justice Dept four years ago ref the rights to protect ourselves in our own home (in comparison to English law) it took two months and two letters to get an answer, so thought be quicker with the Org

karia
28-Jul-07, 19:45
Your MSP should be able to elicit a swifter response from the Justice Dept.

I say 'should'...:)

Karia

bekisman
28-Jul-07, 20:55
he's good for roads, but summer recess; deserve a break, so thought be quicker with the Org

Fran
29-Jul-07, 02:11
but they really aint that great now are they!:confused

I have used NHS24 a lot recently. I found the operators to be very polite and the nurses very helpful and caring. Once we were asked to go straight to the hospital where the doctor was waiting for us, othertimes the doctor has always arrived very quickly. Two weeks ago it was the Lybster gp who came on a sunday and he was excellent, very caring and reassuring, and also arranged followup. I have nothing but praise for NHS24, although i must admit i do prefer the old system where your own gp's would visit.

Ash
29-Jul-07, 09:12
last year my wee one was having problems moving her bowels, she was up through the night screaming in pain i called nhs for advice and was told she had to be constipated for more than 2days for it to be a problem, eventually she said a doctor would see me, but we had to go through to caithness general from thurso!

how you supposed to put a 3year old in her car seat when she is in pain and expect to sit and wait to you get into wick