PDA

View Full Version : Day trips to Orkney

Tom Cornwall
27-Jul-07, 23:20
We're up in September, taking some friends with us, and hoping to take them on a day trip to Orkney. I've been told we can get tickets at John O'Groats. Is this right and where specifically do you get them. Any idea what they might cost and times? thanks in anticip

captainpugwash
27-Jul-07, 23:33
We're up in September, taking some friends with us, and hoping to take them on a day trip to Orkney. I've been told we can get tickets at John O'Groats. Is this right and where specifically do you get them. Any idea what they might cost and times? thanks in anticip

Visit http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/ http://www.jogferry.co.uk/ and http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/ all the info you require is there. Have a pleasant crossing.

Captain P

wifie
28-Jul-07, 01:12
Have fun Tom Cornwall - great place for a day trip!

northener
28-Jul-07, 14:16
Tom,
John O'Groats ferries do an very good day trip (ferry then picked up by coach on Orkney - does all the major points on Orkney mainland). Good value if you are on a restricted timetable and don't want the expenseof taking your car across. You'd need to check if they were still doing it in Sept.

Tugmistress
28-Jul-07, 15:02
as posted before, your best bet is go through the John O'Groats ferry and use the pre arranged tours that pick you up off the ferry the other side and drive you round the island then back to the ferry, well worth it and a trip i am planning to do at some point soon aswell :) been recommended to me by a few people :)

orkneylass
28-Jul-07, 17:49
Just to point out that although the northlink and pentland ferries links are useful, the JOG ferry is a seperate business and offers the shortest crossing for foot passengers only. Enjoy your day out and hopefully come back for longer some time!

Fran
29-Jul-07, 02:21
There is also a ferry at Gills and you can take the car. It is the quickest. Myself, I like to travel on the Hamavoe from Scrabster in great comfort and eat in the restaurant. it is a lovely ferry.

seren
29-Jul-07, 10:01
how much does it cost to take the car over? i bet it's a lovely journey on the ferry :D

helenwyler
29-Jul-07, 10:42
Hi seren

We didn't do a day trip but on 10th July it cost £151 return for a car and two passengers on the North Link Ferries (Hamnavoe).

Agree with Fran, great ship!

orkneylass
29-Jul-07, 10:44
Hi again - the Gills ferry is pentland ferries boat. There is little difference in price between northlink and pentland ferries if taking a car from the islands, but pentland ferries may be cheaper for non-islanders as they are not subsidised - I think about £28 each way for a car but their website will tell you. However, the northlink boats are very grand and you get a good view of the old man of hoy on that route.

seren
29-Jul-07, 10:49
the last time i took a car on a ferry was driving over to skye, so that's quite a while ago! looking forward to doing the orkney trip :D :D

orkneylass
29-Jul-07, 11:17
How long are you coming for and what do you plan to do?

brokencross
29-Jul-07, 12:13
I agree with Northener, a few years ago now we sailed on The John O'Groat ferry on the maxi day trip with coach tour included.
The sea crossing was quick and comfortable; the coach tour was very good and took in all the most important sights (including Skarra Brae, the Italian Chapel, lunch stop in Stromness) with plenty time to get off the coach and see the sights. Our coach driver was really good and gave a running commentary with loads of interesting facts and figures. A really good day out.

Kingetter
29-Jul-07, 12:41
Not a million years ago, the JOG Hotel offered packages - 2 nights d,b &b, plus return ferry trip across, and the day tour around Orkney, visiting as per the previous message. It was a great package I thought at the time and my first introduction to Orkney. I think I did that three times over a few years. I believe the ferry was extended during that time - can anyone remember?

James.

orkneylass
29-Jul-07, 13:01
Good to hear that folk have enjoyed the day trips but please don't run away with the idea that you can take in Orkney in just one day - we've been here 13 years and still have not seen all the amazing things to see, or visited all of the islands.