PDA

View Full Version : buy cheap stuff or wait?

Dadie
27-Jul-07, 19:07
Im about to move house and need more furniture.

Would it be best to buy cheap stuff to do for now or do without and buy good stuff when we can?

Some people have told me that the cheap stuff never seems to get replaced.

What are your views on this matter?

changilass
27-Jul-07, 19:16
If you desperately need it buy cheep if you can manage without then do so, as you say the cheep stuff don't get replaced.

You can always look on the free items to see what is available to get you by till you can afford what you really want, I got a good quality leather suite that a very nice orger had advertised.

rockchick
27-Jul-07, 19:27
Suggestion: Talk to someone who works at Dounreay and has access to their Bulletin Board...there are usually great deals on there (i.e. someone leaving the area and clearing their house) that you can't get on the open market.

I recently had a six month period between moving house and getting my furniture and other housewares...I needed SOMETHING to use in the meantime, and it didn't make sense to spend alot of money when I was just going to get my stuff eventually. I took great delight in Freecycle and Ebay for short-term solutions. Now that my furniture and I are reunited, I'm able to put the freecycle stuff back on the freecycle board, to be utilized by someone else, and keep it out of our landfills.

Dadie
27-Jul-07, 19:27
Im looking for a leather suite for the family room (small child and dog friendly,they can survive ribena spills and dog hair) but any i see on the for sale pages here or on the dounreay intranet are usually gone before i can see them!
i just wonder if buying one 2nd hand and not really liking the colour or style is worth it ..or should i do without and get 1 i really like later which still has to put up with dog and small child wear and tear (ribena and hair)

stratman
27-Jul-07, 19:49
Sam's furniture in wick would seem a good port of call. He seems very well priced in second hand and new.

Dadie
27-Jul-07, 19:51
Ahh but no-one wants to tell me would it ever get replaced..before it falls apart..

karia
27-Jul-07, 20:02
Ahh but no-one wants to tell me would it ever get replaced..before it falls apart..

No Dadie, it wouldnae!

Not a chance,...camp out and hold out for what you want!:D

karia

Dadie
27-Jul-07, 20:10
Its not the where to buy i need advice on its the what to buy i need help with...now or later..good stuff or it will do for now stuff..dont like buying on credit..never have..like paying when i have the cash to spend...

karia
27-Jul-07, 20:22
Dadie,

Buy only what you have to now, the basics!

Tomorrow will come!:D

karia

haven't I just said this?;)

wifie
28-Jul-07, 01:20
Its not the where to buy i need advice on its the what to buy i need help with...now or later..good stuff or it will do for now stuff..dont like buying on credit..never have..like paying when i have the cash to spend...
Well done you - good attitude. Buy the odd thing to do as it will get replaced but don't go mad hold out for what you would really like!

Tristan
28-Jul-07, 09:06
Always worth making sure you get value for money but you will never regret buying quality items - much cheaper in the long run too.

paris
28-Jul-07, 09:07
With small people and dog to think about i would get second hand, get what you can afford now then later you can replace with something really nice . jan x Or failing that put an add on the org someone may be able to help out with a few things you need.:)

Lolabelle
28-Jul-07, 09:10

It depends, if you are someone who will determine to get what you want and sell on the cheaper stop gap stuff, or if you decide to put it off. I will always go for what I really want, Dave will put up with the stop gap items until they fall apart. So, you need to decide what catagory you fit into. :Razz

Angela
28-Jul-07, 09:34
I'd suggest buying the minimum of cheap stuff for now, Dadie, and then save up a bit for good quality things that you really like later on.:)

I've usually found the cheaper things last forever, but then you can recycle them one way or another when you can afford better.

Probably best to avoid what might seem a good compromise - when you can't really afford what you'd choose, so you end up with something not quite right, but still pricy!

Fran
29-Jul-07, 02:17
Sam's furniture in wick would seem a good port of call. He seems very well priced in second hand and new.

I would definetly recommend Sams second hand and new furniture store in wick. He has some lovely furniture, good quality and very reasonable prices. He also delivers it and is very helpful and obliging. This is where you should go and then buy new later on. He has good new furniture too and cheap prices. Also if there is something particular you want he will get it and phone you when it is in his shop.

EDDIE
29-Jul-07, 08:01

You should always buy what u can afford its stupid to take things out on credit and you can buy a lot of cheap furniture which is just as good as expensive furniture.
For example why buy a 3 piece suite for £2000 when u can get one for about £600 or even less at least if u buy a cheap suite if it gets damaged or u get board with the look of it 5 year down the road its not big deal u got your money out of it were if u bought a expensive suite its a different story altogether.Why buy a kettle for £40 when u can get a kettle out of tescos for about £10 does the same job and kettles dont have a long life.
I Honestly think u good furnish a house with cheap furniture and providing everthing is matching your house would look really nice

EDDIE
29-Jul-07, 08:07
Im looking for a leather suite for the family room (small child and dog friendly,they can survive ribena spills and dog hair) but any i see on the for sale pages here or on the dounreay intranet are usually gone before i can see them!
i just wonder if buying one 2nd hand and not really liking the colour or style is worth it ..or should i do without and get 1 i really like later which still has to put up with dog and small child wear and tear (ribena and hair)
What ever u do dont buy a light cream color leather suite the girlfriends parents have one and it stains very easily and shows.

rockchick
29-Jul-07, 14:57
Nice thing about buying "cheap and cheerful" is that when the kids/dog/neighbours/flood ruin it (as they inevitably do - let's face it, in every lounge the wine/curry/crayon must fall!) you won't be so bothered as you will have hopefully by then got your money's worth out of it, and will be able to replace it with something nice.

If you buy new and expensive when you really can't afford it, and it gets ruined, then you're stuck buying the item twice, or then "making do" until you can afford to replace it.

Dadie
30-Jul-07, 19:06
Think we have decided on sofas for the family room either the brindisi or aspra from the argos catalog but i also need 38 handles for the kitchen screwfix brass knobs i think (they are a lot cheaper than homebase)as we are repainting the units for now fluresent blue and yellow to a creamy white walls are now a pale green (so is the car interior)