PDA

View Full Version : what would you do???????

joan
27-Jul-07, 11:48
Has anyone ever found something of value in the street and what did you do with it?My 13yr old daughter found a wallet in the park recently and phoned me to ask what she should do.I told her to bring it home so that I could check it for ID.There was none but there was £60 in cash.We then took the wallet to the police station.They took a few details but not once praised her for her honesty.If the wallet is not claimed by christmas she should get the wallet and the contents to keep.She has ,however, to chase this up herself.Does it pay to be honest?

DarkAngel
27-Jul-07, 11:51
Has anyone ever found something of value in the street and what did you do with it?My 13yr old daughter found a wallet in the park recently and phoned me to ask what she should do.I told her to bring it home so that I could check it for ID.There was none but there was £60 in cash.We then took the wallet to the police station.They took a few details but not once praised her for her honesty.If the wallet is not claimed by christmas she should get the wallet and the contents to keep.She has ,however, to chase this up herself.Does it pay to be honest?

I think at the very least she should have been praised for her honesty.. I mean what young teenager would do that and hand it in..Most of them you wouldnt see for dust!

Honesty is the best policy in the end.

laguna2
27-Jul-07, 11:55
Well done for handing it in to the Police Station - pity they didn't recognise her honesty though.

In my book - honesty is always the best policy.

seren
27-Jul-07, 11:58
that's shocking that they didn't thank her - i always tell my kids to hand things in if they find them. the last thing one of mine found was £20 on the floor of the wrvs shop in the hospital. it would have been so easy to pocket it but she handed it in to the staff.
shame on the police :mad:
whenever i've found wallets or purses i've usually taken them back to the owner myself if they're local as it's quicker than going through the police. i found a purse last christmas in the village and the lady had put all her cards and pin numbers in it together with a sizeable amount of cash. she was mighty relieved to get it back, especially at that time of year.

sam
27-Jul-07, 12:07
it was definately the right thing to do by handing it in, The least they could of done was said thankyou to her.

Tristan
27-Jul-07, 12:13
I remember when I was a bit older than her finding a wallet managed to track the person down and was given a small reward and a thank you.
The next time I found one handed it in to mall security who found the owner, was made to feel like we may have taken something out of it, and not even a thank you.
I would still turn it in and well done to your daughter for doing so!

changilass
27-Jul-07, 12:14
In the early 70's I found one of the bank bags full of notes behind the bakery in Castletown (aparently it was their weekly takings), I handed it into the police station at Castletown (it was properly manned intose days), the bakery owners didn't even have the decency to say thanks, the police man at the time gave me £5 as a reward out of his own pocket and gave me a lot of praise for it.

Due to that incident I have always believed honesty pays, it doesn't take much to make a child believe one way or the other and can make a big difference to how they act for the rest of their lives.

About 12 yrs ago I lost my purse in a nightclub in Cumbernauld, I promptly cancelled all my cards assuming the purse would never be seen again, but on the off chance someon had turned it in went and checked, there it was with all the money and cards, so gave £20 to the person who handed it it.

What goes around comes around in theses particular cases.

DarkAngel
27-Jul-07, 12:20
They could have praised her for handing it in. She is setting a good example for other her age.

Lolabelle
27-Jul-07, 14:58
I think it pretty lousy that the police didn't make a fuss of her honesty,but honesty does have it's own reward. She did the right thing and that is what counts and that will be a life lesson for her. :D

Once I found a wallet in a phone booth, I didn't look in it,just took it straight to the police station, where the officer took everything out and I had to sign for each and every itemised thing in it. But suprise, surprise it was a truck drivers wallet, and it had two photo ID licences with the same man but different names, and two different credit cards, to match the different names. Needless to say the police found this very intrigueing. I almost felt bad for the truck driver, still it is illegal :confused. And as I left the station, a semi trailer pulled up in front and the driver entered. I just left. I wasn't hanging around for the fire works.

cuddlepop
27-Jul-07, 16:34
Your daughter done the right thing in handing it in.Honesty does pay it's just not alwas aknowledged.

My own daughter found a wallet in a phone box years ago.It had money.drivers license etc.The police station is just beside it and no sooner had all the details been taken a German tourist came in in an awful state to say he had lost his wallet.Tourist handed my youngest a £10 which was alot of money for her and loads of thank you's:D

She's had her own purse returned twice now by strangers,very forgetful.Her attitude is that someone will hand it in because she did.Fortunatly thats been the case so far.

EDDIE
27-Jul-07, 17:15
If the wallet is returned to the owner by law yor intled to a reward but i think its a law thats not really enforced.
I lost my wallet about 7 to 8 years ago and luckly it was handed in buy a young boy i had £40 and my bank card and credit card in it so what i did was i gave the lad the £40 that was in the wallet because he could easily have took the money and thrown the wallet away if he wanted to but hew didnt thats why i gave him the money in the wallet to show him it that it pays to be honest but thats just me .

Jeemag_USA
27-Jul-07, 17:32
I always turn in stuff that I find, regardless of getting any thanks from authorities it does not matter, you can be sure if the person who lost it is re united with their goods they will be very grateful.

Sandra_B
27-Jul-07, 18:19
I would turn in anything valuable that I found. I'm surprised the police didn't thank your daughter...maybe the owner will have better manners?

anneoctober
27-Jul-07, 18:28
I would turn in anything valuable that I found. I'm surprised the police didn't thank your daughter...maybe the owner will have better manners?
Am beginning to wonder who was the more mature , am not thinking Dixon o' dock green ..............[evil]

Dadie
27-Jul-07, 18:46
I too have found items and got no thanks its a bit dissapointing ... no reward was needed just a thank you would have been appreciated

have been on the "lost" side of things too and have always given a reward or a big thank you it seems to make the finders day to know they have done something good.

I would make a fuss over your daughter (she will compain but secretly like it , she is a teenager) at least then she will know that you are proud anyway!

changilass
27-Jul-07, 19:07
... and you can tell her everyone in .orgland is proud of her too :D

DeHaviLand
28-Jul-07, 02:30
I've always believed that honesty was its own reward, so yes, handing it in is the right thing to do.

JAWS
28-Jul-07, 03:56
But the Government haven't set targets for saying "Thank you"! :eek:

htwood
28-Jul-07, 04:22
I once found a gold bracelet and turned it in to police, which was a block away. I checked in a year later, and no one had claimed it and they gave it to me. Can you imagine...losing a gold bracelet and not checking with police so close by?
Last year I found a credit card on the sidewalk, went to the phone book and phoned the 3 people with that last name, the last call was the right person. She was so upset that her hubby had to drive her down the hill to my house, and bless her, she gave me a fresh loaf of raisin cake. Mmm, so nice of her!

paris
28-Jul-07, 08:31
Well done to your daughter.:) What sort of example are the police making to our youngsters by not even saying a thank-you, that cost nothing ![evil]
Last week i found a mobile phone on the river bank at the back of my house. after i had dryed it out and charged it up i went through it till i found an entry for home, rang and explained i had the phone here to collect. they were very grateful ( it was a young lads )BUT him and some of his friends had been playing about with a boat owned by my neighbours and had untied it so its now down the river a few miles and its going to be a problem getting it back, i know it was him as i had been the one who had caught him and his friends mucking about with it and told them to clear of !!! jan x

horseman
28-Jul-07, 22:03
My good deeds, earned me more brickbats than plaudits!
Few years ago now,local supermarket,paid bill with credit card,£40 cashback please-moved away from till,thought, something wrong here.Been given to much back!Yea I know---too much,but my youngest daughter who was with me was working as a bar maid then an if her till was down it was up to her to put it right,in other words pay the difference.So i thought, that lass will probably have to do the same an it will be more than she earns for her shift.So up I goes ,butting into the next customers line, 'scuse but my bill is well wrong,you'v given me too much back!!Customer let me go in front of him, explained to cashier her mistake, vary thankful, but no thanks whatsoever from store!My g'daughter said I am disowning you,daughter said I don't think I could have done that dad,my reflection that it was near xmas an the cashier may have been liable for the loss did'ent carry much weight,but I have allways felt good about that:)

rockchick
28-Jul-07, 22:31
My boys used to play on the Riverside in Wick regularly, and have made a few "finds" that needed to be turned in.

The most memorable was someone's well-drenched British passport...we turned it in, and earned a most-earnest "thank-you" from the recipient, but no reward. Yet, we turned in a pair of spectacles they'd found, and lo-and-behold, the boys were rewarded with a handsome financial award!

Go and figure!

My own point is that honesty is it's own reward...what goes around, comes around...

Fran
29-Jul-07, 02:06
i found a handbag in a car park in wick some time ago which was full of rolls of notes and credit cards. I took it to the police station and was told i would receive a reward Apparently you get a percentage of the findings. I was given £10 by the police the following week which had been handed in by the owner when she collected the bag that day. A thank you note would have been appreciated.

Ash
29-Jul-07, 09:50
my mother yesterday lost her purse in woolies it had £300 in it, when she realised it was missing she asked a member of staff, a young girl had just handed it in, my mum was ever so grateful and she insisted the young girl took money as a thank you

percy toboggan
29-Jul-07, 15:19

Good for her and good for you for rasing such a moral, and praiseworthy child. I have done similar. I have found purses twice. The first time it had five hundred quid in it ! I traced the owner and she was delighted. She ha djust drawn the money from the bank to treat her lad to a new bed and othe rstuff on his return from the Falklands WAr. I beamed, especially as she handed me atwenty quid 'reward'

Next time there was about forty quid in there. Again, at some difficulty I traced the owner and delivered the purse to her door. She didn't even say Thank You !.

Mind you. she was a deaf and dumb mute (can I day that these days?) however, she beamed broadly at me and it was well worth the effort.

Honesty is the best policy, but if I found a million quid in the street I think I might keep my gob shut and take my chances.

johno
29-Jul-07, 15:49
yea. im sure that she has her own good feeling for doing the proper thing.
well done to her, never know maybe some poor old pensioner lost her last few bob.:cool:

dunderheed
30-Jul-07, 16:24
well done , but dont be surprised if it isn't claimed the police willl ask when your daughter chercks up if she wishes to donate it to the police benevolent fund ( this has happened to me on a few occaisions now)

Ricco
30-Jul-07, 17:51
It does pay to be honest. I once found £10 on the fields at Viewfirth and handed it in. No-one claimed it so it eventually became mine (well, Dad's 'cos it went towards a new pair of troos). Your daughter should ensure she gets a dated receipt and she should place an advert in the local paper (Lost & Found section) asking claimants to fully describe the wallet and its contents. Good luck!

Victoria
31-Jul-07, 11:29
I wish I'd lost my bracelet near you lot :~(