PDA

View Full Version : RBS email alert

poppett
26-Jul-07, 18:40
I am being pestered with emails from the Royal Bank of Scotland, insisting I update my online banking records with them...........I am not even a customer of theirs. The format of the email is one you can`t reply back to asking them to stop sending this mail and it is becoming a pest with up to 10 messages a day. I reported them as spam and now they go straight to bulk, but they are still there and annoying. Anyone else have this problem? Is it a scam of some kind?

sam
26-Jul-07, 18:44
it is a scam and if you give your details you could end up with an empty bank account, so delete these messages as soon as you get them.

JAWS
26-Jul-07, 18:47
Sounds very much like a scam, especially in view of the rate you are getting the emails.

I would be inclined to phone your local RBoS and tell them what's happening especially as you are not a customer. It sounds very much like an attempt to get hold of people's bank account details.

sam
26-Jul-07, 18:50
you should also notify your service provider as they may be able to trace where they are coming from. There is a similar scam going with paypal where they are asking you to up date your details aswell.

anneoctober
26-Jul-07, 18:50
totally agree wi Sam, i've had these emails streaming in for months now, even (supposedly) from my own bank (BOS). It's a huge scam, even have banks from USA sending the stuff, but all go straight to bulk folder and DIE under DELETE.........:evil

MadPict
26-Jul-07, 19:25
Delete Delete Delete......

cuddlepop
26-Jul-07, 19:36
Someone has got a hold of my email addresa nd for the past few weeks I've had anything up to a dozen spam emails in my folder.Recently some have been slipping into my inbox.Luckily I've recognised email fro a friend as spam a not opened it.

What ever you do,dont open up emails you dont recognise or reply to these strange request for account details.
I dont even like buying things on the net with my switch card.:eek:

NickInTheNorth
26-Jul-07, 19:45
If ever you are tempted to act on this type of email because it just looks too official to ignore, simply use common sense. If you have an account then presumaby you know the URL (web address) of the organisation concerned.

Open that URL in your browser and update any information on that the official site. You will generally find the scammers link to either an IP address (a series of numbers seperated by dots) or to a domain similar too, bit slightly different to the correct address.

It should also be said that if you aren't already you should run at the very least a good antivirus package (and some of the best ones are free), and probably some kind of firewall too. (The one that is built in WindowsXP is not bad, but I prefer one that blocks unauthorised outgoing data too, after all that can be even more "dangerous" than incoming.

mr do dar
26-Jul-07, 20:52
i bank with the rbs and when you go on there web site it always to reminds not to reply to emails or anything like that cos its not them sending the emails

Tristan
26-Jul-07, 20:55
Most, if not all banks, have a method of reporting spam emails to them online.

Jeemag_USA
26-Jul-07, 22:54
This is called "Phishing" and there are millions of pond scum doing it around the world. I get them from false versions of ebay, paypal, Bank One and all sorts of other banks. People send them as official looking and when you click the link it takes you to a false page where you can type your details. Add them to your spam list and delete them, but before you do check with the supposed companies sending them as usually their official websites have a method of reporting them so they can be criminally investigated. Like the way to report ebay and paypal ones is forward them to spoof@paypal.com and spoof@ebay.com and they will investigate them.

These are almost as annoying as the countless emails doing the rounds from people in african countries who have inherited millions and need you to invest it for them. I usually mail them back and say I can't give them my bank details but could you send all the money in small bills to this address and I usually give the address of their prime minister or police headquarters in that country, they always never mail me back [lol]

laguna2
27-Jul-07, 07:16
These are almost as annoying as the countless emails doing the rounds from people in african countries who have inherited millions and need you to invest it for them. I usually mail them back and say I can't give them my bank details but could you send all the money in small bills to this address and I usually give the address of their prime minister or police headquarters in that country, they always never mail me back [lol][/QUOTE]

Went through a phase of receiving varying versions of this type of email. I just deleted them - they never sent a second mail so obviously don't think it worth trying again.

johno
27-Jul-07, 10:08
talk about emails & spam my mate gets up to 600 or more of those each day
and his spam controls are on. most of them come from that mailer return service, dont know why but he does,nt send that many messages out.
he now has opened a new email addy but they are still coming in fast & furious to the original address. obviously he justs deletes them all, but even that takes some time. i just wonder if his pc has been hijacked or something.
ps we are ok at pushing the buttons on the keyboard but the tech stuff is over our heads. any ideas are welcome.

BRIE
27-Jul-07, 10:15
i keep getting the same emails but from lloyds tsb Im not a customer either!! lucky my pc security already picked up the email theyve now been blocked from my system.

George Brims
27-Jul-07, 20:20
Not all the phishing emails are as obvious as getting one from a bank where you aren't even a customer. I have had one that looked like it was from my own bank. In most browsers (I use Firefox) if you put the cursor over a link (WITHOUT clicking on it) the actual address it's pointing to will appear on your screen. In Firefox for example down at the bottom where it usually says "Done" when a page has loaded, you will see the address. Sneaky people can have a line that displays in the email that says something like "www.yourbank.com/updateaccount" but the actual URL is
"www.sneakyrussianmobsterswhowantallyourmoney.ru/typeinallyourvitalinformationhereyoudimwit"

In one case all but one of the links in the email really were to my bank's privacy information, contacts list etc. Just one of them was the one that was designed to get your money. If ever you want to contact your bank etc type the address in yourself or use the URL you have bookmarked for that institution. And always forward such emails to the security dept of your bank.

Loafer
02-Aug-07, 09:53
I am being pestered with emails from the Royal Bank of Scotland, insisting I update my online banking records with them...........I am not even a customer of theirs. The format of the email is one you can`t reply back to asking them to stop sending this mail and it is becoming a pest with up to 10 messages a day. I reported them as spam and now they go straight to bulk, but they are still there and annoying. Anyone else have this problem? Is it a scam of some kind?

I have been getting these e-mails for YEARS apparently from Barclays, e-bay, Paypal, The Bank of Scotland, RBS, ...the list goes on. Simply fire them in the trash!!

The Loafer

Bobinovich
03-Aug-07, 13:03
Internet Explorer 7 has a built-in Phishing filter which recognises the aforementioned fake sites for what they are.

On the subject of e-mails I usually leave my PC on and it filters out virtually all spam as they come in. I turned the PC off when we went away for 6 days and, when I turned it back on, there was a whopping 19,488 e-mails waiting for me!

Unfortunately Outlook Express wouldn't even look at them so I had to resort to sifting through & clearing 500 at a time via webmail to reduce it down to about 15,000 before OE started downloading them.

After all that there was a total of 7 genuine mails!

Ricco
04-Aug-07, 08:38
Definitely a scam - probably on multiple auto-dialer so tracing will be difficult. Ask your ISP to filter this at their end - it should be a service that they provide.