PDA

View Full Version : Use of Wick Hosp Car Park When Gala Is On

charlie's lass
26-Jul-07, 11:32
Last year on procession night my partner was in Caithness General Hospital and when I went to visit I was horrified by the amount of selfish people who had parked cars in the hospital car park to watch the floats as they came along bridge street. There were no car parking spaces for people visiting patients in the hospital and the patients who were allowed out to watch - some from wheel chairs were unable to see much due to these selfish people. I mentioned it to the receptionist when I went in and she said it was terrible but it was the same every year. Come on you lazy lot there are plenty of parking spaces around the town and the floats go around most of the streets so why do you need to park in the hospital grounds? If you are one of these mindless persons please think twice before parking there on gala night as the hospital still has patients who have visitors who need car parking more than you!! And the patients in Caithness General deserve a better view of the procession - they don't want to be in hospital for gala night but they have no choice YOU HAVE!!

seren
26-Jul-07, 11:39
this used to happen every year on fair night in our home town. you didn't dare take your car to work that day or you'd have nowhere to park when you got home as your gateway would be blocked. it was a complete nightmare, and very dangerous for emergency vehicles. i wonder if things have changed any in the years since we left? i should think the problem has only got worse.
people always seem to feel the need to park as close to an activity as they can. god forbid they should have to walk a short distance!! :roll:

Whitewater
26-Jul-07, 12:16
I always seem to have trouble parking in the hospital car park no matter when I go to visit day or night, even when I've taken people in for emergency treatment.

DarkAngel
26-Jul-07, 13:21
I always seem to have trouble parking in the hospital car park no matter when I go to visit day or night, even when I've taken people in for emergency treatment.

Funny enough i have exactly the same problem..There is not enough parking spaces. Some ignorant people use it when they are not even visiting the hospital! Some people park in the hospital car park and catch the train to Inverness to pick it up again when they arrive home as its safer parking it in the hospital car park than leaving it outside the train station!!:roll:

johno
26-Jul-07, 14:49
Last year on procession night my partner was in Caithness General Hospital and when I went to visit I was horrified by the amount of selfish people who had parked cars in the hospital car park to watch the floats as they came along bridge street. There were no car parking spaces for people visiting patients in the hospital and the patients who were allowed out to watch - some from wheel chairs were unable to see much due to these selfish people. I mentioned it to the receptionist when I went in and she said it was terrible but it was the same every year. Come on you lazy lot there are plenty of parking spaces around the town and the floats go around most of the streets so why do you need to park in the hospital grounds? If you are one of these mindless persons please think twice before parking there on gala night as the hospital still has patients who have visitors who need car parking more than you!! And the patients in Caithness General deserve a better view of the procession - they don't want to be in hospital for gala night but they have no choice YOU HAVE!!
Cant help but agree with you. My sentiments entirely.[disgust]

floyed
26-Jul-07, 14:53
I agree with you there is plenty of other places to park the car.

Jeemag_USA
26-Jul-07, 15:48
Good point Charlie's lass, its wrong to do that. Like others though, every time I have visited Caithness General the car park is always full no matter when I go.

Highland Laddie
26-Jul-07, 17:02
Totally agree about the hospital parking,

But i think the parking at the Parish Church on a Sunday is every bit as bad,
there is a massive car park at the riverside just at the back of the church, but no, they all have to park outside the church, along the road from the Elm Tree filling station, right the way along the road and round the bend up to Louisburgh Street, down as far as the Chineese takeaway, and both sides of the road coming up from the riverside.

DarkAngel
26-Jul-07, 17:25

there is a massive car park at the riverside just at the back of the church, but no, they all have to park outside the church, along the road from the Elm Tree filling station, right the way along the road and round the bend up to Louisburgh Street, down as far as the Chineese takeaway, and both sides of the road coming up from the riverside.

I know what you mean...Its terrible passing the street on a sunday church time!!

Maybe alot of them are elderly and cant walk far possibly!?

johno
26-Jul-07, 17:35

yes ive posted this before, it,s an accident waiting to happen. bloody stupidity , all have a right to go to church but by parking like this you may have another day in church, some poor sod,s funeral.its been going on for years & the police dont seem to be doing a damn thing about it

seren
26-Jul-07, 18:10
the churchgoers used to park on the pavement every sunday near our house. one week i put a note on their cars asking me to pray for me next sunday when i had to take my life in my hands walking in the road on a blind corner with my children as they'd selfishly blocked the pavement every week.
never did any good though :roll:

Torvaig
26-Jul-07, 18:51
the churchgoers used to park on the pavement every sunday near our house. one week i put a note on their cars asking me to pray for me next sunday when i had to take my life in my hands walking in the road on a blind corner with my children as they'd selfishly blocked the pavement every week.
never did any good though :roll:

Ahh..... such is the kindness of Christians.....

charlie's lass
27-Jul-07, 11:07

Thanks for response but we're getting away from the point I was making which was about parking on gala night at Caithness General Hospital car park - I think the Parish Church parking could be a new thread?

seren
27-Jul-07, 11:46
that's the very reason hospital car parks round here charge so much - to stop people using the car park as a park and ride. the hospital is just off the motorway so perfect for commuters to do this.
i think they should have some kind of system in all hospitals where you get your parking fee back on production of your appt. letter or a signature from the ward you're visiting, whatever. there must be some way of doing it so the legitimate visitors and patients don't have to pay for other people's selfishness. this then should discourage people from using it as a convenient car parking place, such as the example you've shown in wick on gala night.

DarkAngel
27-Jul-07, 12:08
I agree with you there seren..It would be best if there was a system like that as it would stop selfish people from takin up parking spaces that are more needed by someone who is actually visiting the hospital!

Murdina Bug
27-Jul-07, 13:08
I noticed during the Maritime Festival recently that there was a 'checkpoint' at the hospital entrance to discourage non-hosptial users from entering. I don't know what criteria they were using to let people in - maybe they had a list of patients and asked who you were going to visit. Maybe this kind of system could be employed on gala night.

Highland Laddie
27-Jul-07, 15:36
Thanks for response but we're getting away from the point I was making which was about parking on gala night at Caithness General Hospital car park - I think the Parish Church parking could be a new thread?

Yes i agree about the hospital car park, and the trouble the gala presents,

But the gala is 1 week a year, the Parish church is 52 weeks a year, as mentioned in the thread, WHY don't the police or traffic warden do something about it. over to you Bill !!!!!

wifie
28-Jul-07, 01:27
Checkpoint thingy was a good idea which they should adopt for the gala night. It is pathetic how so many perfectly able bodied people just have to get soooooooo close to whatever they are going to. I'd swear some of them would drive their cars round the supermarket or whatever if they could!

celtchicky
28-Jul-07, 12:20
the checkpoint thing worked a treat as so many people were turned away as they couldnt name a patient they were visiting. the carpark was half empty too!!!:D

johno
28-Jul-07, 12:34
Aye sadly it would put more strain on an already cash strapped Highland Health Board, Unless someone would do the gate volountary.
Myself ,living in the town we just leave the car in the drive,
Make,s sense as we can go for a wee drink afterwards, ;)

seren
28-Jul-07, 12:41
all this time i thought it was donkey :lol:

johno
28-Jul-07, 12:47
all this time i thought it was donkey :lol:
OUCH THAT HURT. LOL

laguna2
28-Jul-07, 13:44
all this time i thought it was donkey

I didn't like to tell johno that at a quick glance his avatar looked like a donkey [lol] - I had to look carefully to see what it really is [lol]

Thanks seren - I am not so worried about my eyesight now

johno
28-Jul-07, 13:50
I didn't like to tell johno that at a quick glance his avatar looked like a donkey [lol] - I had to look carefully to see what it really is [lol]

ok so you all think i look like a donkey. that,s i gonna change it as soon as find something i like. now im really really hurt ?? LOL

sam
28-Jul-07, 13:52

lol i thought it was a donkey to until i read your post............ sorry Johno

laguna2
28-Jul-07, 13:53
ok so you all think i look like a donkey. that,s i gonna change it as soon as find something i like. now im really really hurt ?? LOL

Awww - johno we said it in a caring way - we love donkeys :D

johno
28-Jul-07, 14:02
Awww - johno we said it in a caring way - we love donkeys :D
YOU WOMEN GANGING UP ON ME ?? looks like it. ha ha
just wait till you eyeball my new avatar. when i figure out how to change it??

wifie
28-Jul-07, 16:12
Sorry Johno - I too thought it was a donkey until I took a proper look! Must be like one of those pics where one lot of people sees one thing and another lot sees something else. Looking forward to seeing the new Avatar! By the way good on you leaving the car at home and enjoy your wee dram!

seren
28-Jul-07, 17:03
awww - the donkey's gone :~( :Razz

johno
28-Jul-07, 17:48
awww - the donkey's gone :~( :Razz
May be he,s on the float,s 2 night. Sure hope he dont make an ASS of himself. LOL.

Angela
28-Jul-07, 17:55
I always thought it was a donkey -wasn't it? And me with new glasses too!

So put me out of my misery, johno -what was it? :confused

Can't wait to see what you'll have next.......? :eek:

laguna2
28-Jul-07, 18:05
Angela - I think it was a dragon type thing, with the moon and a mountain in the background ... but I could be wrong ... after all originally I thought it was a donkey [lol]

johno
28-Jul-07, 18:55
Angela - I think it was a dragon type thing, with the moon and a mountain in the background ... but I could be wrong ... after all originally I thought it was a donkey [lol]
YOU ,VE JUST ANSWERED ANGELA,S QUESTION . 10 OUTA 10 LAGUNA.

laguna2
28-Jul-07, 18:57
YOU ,VE JUST ANSWERED ANGELA,S QUESTION . 10 OUTA 10 LAGUNA.

:D ... I am to please johno :lol:

Per Mare Per Terram
29-Jul-07, 06:00
Yes i agree about the hospital car park, and the trouble the gala presents,

But the gala is 1 week a year, the Parish church is 52 weeks a year, as mentioned in the thread, WHY don't the police or traffic warden do something about it. over to you Bill !!!!!

Traffic restrictions are in force Monday to Saturday 0800hr to1800hrs,no restrictions on Sunday parking, only common sence and consideration for other road users ?[disgust]bill@orcadia>eclipse>co>uk

SNOWDOG
29-Jul-07, 08:04

Well done, this thread must have tweaked a nerve somewhere, was in and out of CAGH most of last night and never had any bother, its a pity it wasnt like that all the time! :confused