PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Kenn
25-Jul-07, 22:43
Once again The Tour de France has been thrown into chaos by the cheats.
There are rumours rife about the taking of drugs in other sports.
Surely the whole idea of being an athlete in any sport is to achieve the best that you can through determination,dedication and pure hard work.

What satisfaction can it give to be a cheat?

johno
25-Jul-07, 23:23
Surely the whole idea of being an athlete in any sport is to achieve the best that you can through determination,dedication and pure hard work.

seems that the cyclists were injecting other folks blood into themselves to generatate more oxygen in their own blood. seems like a risky health hazzard to me, :~(:roll:

Tristan
25-Jul-07, 23:27
seems that the cyclists were injecting other folks blood into themselves to generatate more oxygen in their own blood. seems like a risky health hazzard to me, :~(:roll:

I have heard of drawing, storing and injecting your own blood, but never someone else's.

I remember a survey that was done years ago where a question was put to top athletes which went along the lines of "if you knew this drug would help you win but it might kill you by the time you are 30 would you take it?" The majority answered, "yes"

Victoria
25-Jul-07, 23:32

The money they all get nowadays for being sports people. And maybe the pressure from pushy parents! heh

Jeemag_USA
25-Jul-07, 23:36

Wow, thats sounds very hazardous to me. But surely that wouldn't show up on a drugs test?? I was reading the story about the latest guy to kicked off today, but the way I read it he was fired for not beiong present for drug testing when he ws supposed to be, which woudl be inconclusive evidence that he was taking drugs no? Not really sure because I have not been following it well. I know one thing is for sure I woudl never be injecting myself with blood for anything.

Lolabelle
26-Jul-07, 06:33
Wow, thats sounds very hazardous to me. I know one thing is for sure I woudl never be injecting myself with blood for anything.

I'm with you Jeemag, nothing could be worth a potential death sentence. :eek:

garycs
26-Jul-07, 11:04
Blood doping is usually carried out using the athletes own blood, it's supposed to produce a similar effect to training at altitude only more so. The "give away" signs are exceptionally high red blood cell counts, and it carries the danger even using your own blood of thrombosis and stroke, to do it with someone else's blood is just insanity.

Angela
26-Jul-07, 11:06
Unfortunately I think sport has now become such big business, with huge pressures and enormous incentives. It's a world away from what it used to be.

I'm sure it must be relatively easy for the distinction between what's legal - training as hard as you can, spending hours in the gym, following the "right" diet, taking acceptable food supplements - and taking drugs, or doing something else illegal, to give you that extra edge. If you know or supect that other folk are doing it, I can understand that people could feel they're at an unfair disadvantage if they don't!

So many sports now require a far higher, and more consistent, level of strength and fitness at the top level than ever before. When, for example, did a tennis player ever have biceps like Nadal's? (No suggestion that he's got them by any other means than working out, btw)

I don't condone the use of drugs to improve sporting performance though, and I think it's sad that it happens. :(