PDA

View Full Version : Weatherseal !!!!!!!

kac
25-Jul-07, 21:27
Hi All,
Where do i start, thought i would give you a warning with regards to our dealings with Weatherseal, my father was firstly sold a front door and side panel from them costing £2500.00(seemed a bit expensive to me)with a full money back guarantee if you can find the same quality of product from someone else cheaper, i phoned them with regards to this to be told by the gentleman on the other end that as far as they were concerned i wouldn't be able to find a door of the same quality and so wouldn't get a refund!.(some guarantee)
They then sold my father 10 windows for a cost of £10800.00(again seemed expensive to me) but that's not all the local salesman then signed him up for finance as well which would have had him paying £34500.00 for his windows. Please bare in mind my father is 70 years old has had a heart attack, a quadruple heart bypass operation and 2 strokes!!!.
We eventually managed to get the price of the windows down to a more realistic price and with no finance, so my father agreed to go ahead with the contract, but when the windows arrived the fitter discovered that the were to big for the openings and would not fit, after phoning the person who measured the windows the fitter was told to just make them fit!!!!.
This meant trimming the sides of the windows to try and try was the word to make them fit, after we refused to allow for this to happen they agreed to give us a further discount of £300.00 and would take the windows back and make new ones, eventually the new windows arrived and were fitted and as of now he has had no problems with them.
The story goes on though, when the windows were fitted one of the sills inside was damaged and the person who originally measured the windows came back to fit a new one, it was at this point that he told me he was not happy as the windows that had been sent back would cost him £800.00 out of his pocket and that the company was now going to scrap £2500.00 pounds worth of windows as that was what it had cost them to make them.(nice profit at £10800.00 not to mention £34500.00)
He also told me(and this is the most interesting thing) that the salesman that they have up here has the reputation of being one of the highest chargers within the company and that they could set their own price for the products.
The story doesn't finish there though, having phoned the company(at least on 4 occasions) to ask them not to contact my father again and to inform them that he was on the Telephone Preference System i was told by the sales person that it was running about a year to 2 years behind and it might catch up with his number eventually, i wont even go in to the manner in which i was spoken to and how i was told i sounded uneducated.
Now would you believe they have contacted my father again to try and sell him a conservatory which would mean them removing the biggest window in the house that they have just fitted, after various phone calls my father agreed to someone coming just to stop all the calls he was getting and then spent the whole of the next evening hiding in his bedroom with the curtains shut to try and avoid the very persistent salesman, what have we got to do before they put my father back in hospital????.[evil]

grumpyhippo
25-Jul-07, 21:53
I don't know how how legal this would be but I would be tempted to invite the salesman round to my house then refuse to let him out until he has given a full explanation and refund. I recall an episode reported in the press where a woman did that to a washing machine repair man. The company involved suddenly were able to produce a new machine. I realise your dads situation is several orders of magnitude greater than this but it might be a starting point for you. I sure its all illegal but if Weatherseal are so sure of their position let them complain.
I hope you dad isn't too stressed by all this and his health keeps up.

NickInTheNorth
25-Jul-07, 21:58
feel free to tell them your fathers new number {mine} and let them phone anytime. If you want to PM me for the number to phone...

They won't like it much

kac
25-Jul-07, 22:03
We have been to Citizen Advice about this as well but as my father had signed the contract there was nothing we can do about it. Thanks for the offer of help but i have told my father to phone me the moment the rep arrives at his door and i will tell him where to go

blondscot
25-Jul-07, 22:19
I got quotes from weatherseal and it was way to expensive so i siad no so anyway a couple of weeks later they phones to say that they would give a new price that was without adding the salesmans share into it and that someone would phone at a set time to give me the price this i agreed to! however at the agreed time there was a salesman on the doorstep who was there to give me a quote, told him that i was only expecting a phone call to be given a price but he said that he could do that so in he comes and would you believe it his price was more than the first one so quickly refused and sent him on his way but still get calls asking to reconsider thier offer!!

las123
25-Jul-07, 22:23
the phone rang asking about new windows, no i said we just got all of them replaced last year, what about the guttering etc so i said yeah o wouldt mind getting a quote for that so we had a rep round for getting new gutters and pvc edging, came at 8pm and eventually left at 12:40am!!!!! he started off at a price of £3250, i said no sorry to high for us, he wet on his calculater again and came out with £2950, i said no still to high sorry, we will just leave it and get it next year, he said what would you go to so i said £1500, he said sorry he couldnt go that low, i said it is ok we weill get it done next year.... he then said if you sign now its a deal. just shows that he was going to make £1750 profit, so we went through all the paper work etc, then he eventually left at 12:40. this was in april. a few weeks later we had the guy round to do the measurments etc since then not had a phone call to say when it is going to be fitted or nothing, we had to contact the rep on several occassions to ask what is going on, always got told that he will phone back within an hour, but surprise no call. so last week i cancelled the order and asked for our deposit to be refunded. they are a disgrace, i would go near them!!!! as for doing that to your father that is terrible, the sales rep is just wanting as much commission as possible!!!

KILTIECAULDBUM
25-Jul-07, 22:25
Sorry to hear about your Dad, hope he is okay.
Please remember too that Weatherseal & Everest are the SAME company.
The sales people are all trained to behave the same way, so don't let them near the poor man's house either.
Being commission based, any of these sales people would sell him a conservatory on stilts on an upstairs bedroom, or even a patio door on the roof, cause that's how they make their money, a sale at any cost, from anybody, at any time...!!![evil]
The Freephone number, to save your bills if you don't have it is: 0800-041-041
Incidentally, I suppose since it is a call THEY would be paying for, how many times could you dial it to make them pay for your Dad's inconvenience, number withheld obviously, lol.[lol]

DarkAngel
25-Jul-07, 22:34
Hope your dad is ok Kac!!!

I hate sales men..They take advantage!!!!!![evil]

saxovtr
25-Jul-07, 22:35
sounds about rite,both companys are rubbish,ive seen better quality windows also!!

margaret
25-Jul-07, 22:39
So sorry to hear about your dad. I wouldnt touch that company as ive heard a lot of complaints about them.Ive just bought new double glazing from Cairngorms windows and they are a great company who do not pressurise you at all.They are good quality and very tidy so if anyone out there is looking for double glazing, give them a call.
I would contact trading standards about Weatherseal as im sure they will be able to do something about them.

Tristan
25-Jul-07, 23:12
as an unsolicited call I believe there is a 7 day cooling off period.

The Doorstep Selling Regulations 1987 give you the right to a seven day cooling off period if you sign a contract to buy goods or services for £35 or more after an unsolicited visit to your home from a salesperson.

The same rights also apply if the sales visit follows an unsolicited phone call from a trader.

Doorstep sellers must inform you of your right to a cooling off period or they are committing a criminal offence. You must exercise your right to cancel in writing within seven days. If this is sent by post it will take effect on posting. Once you've cancelled you are entitled to get back any money you have paid, and the cancelled contract is treated as if it was never made.
from http://money.guardian.co.uk/experts/legal/story/0,,2071826,00.html

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/buying-selling/Doorstep-selling/FAQs/page29175.html

kriklah
25-Jul-07, 23:13
we had weatherseal out for a quote last year, just to do the downstairs windows (7 windows and a sunroom of 9 windows) started at 30,000,, eventually knocked down to 18,000. 11.000 alone for just the sunroom, would be cheaper to knock the whole thing out and build from scratch!!! and all that before considering finance (god the interest alone would have cripaled us !!) needless to say we never signed up and im painting the wooden frames again this year!!

we were constantly getting calls offering to redo the quote, so i jsut started hanging up if they got too persistant. plus still get cold calls "we have 60 grand to spend in your area" or "would you be interested in a free(haha) kitchen" blaa blaa blaaa, so i got me a caller ID phone and simply dont answer any 0800, 0845, 0870 or international calls.

just for the record Space Kitchens are part of the same company aswell!!! i still think 7K was a bit steep for what we got but the rep arrived the day we moved in and collered us! we learn from our mistakes i suppose

Sam

Victoria
25-Jul-07, 23:38
Hi All,
Where do i start, thought i would give you a warning with regards to our dealings with Weatherseal, my father was firstly sold a front door and side panel from them costing £2500.00(seemed a bit expensive to me)with a full money back guarantee if you can find the same quality of product from someone else cheaper, i phoned them with regards to this to be told by the gentleman on the other end that as far as they were concerned i wouldn't be able to find a door of the same quality and so wouldn't get a refund!.(some guarantee)
They then sold my father 10 windows for a cost of £10800.00(again seemed expensive to me) but that's not all the local salesman then signed him up for finance as well which would have had him paying £34500.00 for his windows. Please bare in mind my father is 70 years old has had a heart attack, a quadruple heart bypass operation and 2 strokes!!!.
We eventually managed to get the price of the windows down to a more realistic price and with no finance, so my father agreed to go ahead with the contract, but when the windows arrived the fitter discovered that the were to big for the openings and would not fit, after phoning the person who measured the windows the fitter was told to just make them fit!!!!.
This meant trimming the sides of the windows to try and try was the word to make them fit, after we refused to allow for this to happen they agreed to give us a further discount of £300.00 and would take the windows back and make new ones, eventually the new windows arrived and were fitted and as of now he has had no problems with them.
The story goes on though, when the windows were fitted one of the sills inside was damaged and the person who originally measured the windows came back to fit a new one, it was at this point that he told me he was not happy as the windows that had been sent back would cost him £800.00 out of his pocket and that the company was now going to scrap £2500.00 pounds worth of windows as that was what it had cost them to make them.(nice profit at £10800.00 not to mention £34500.00)
He also told me(and this is the most interesting thing) that the salesman that they have up here has the reputation of being one of the highest chargers within the company and that they could set their own price for the products.
The story doesn't finish there though, having phoned the company(at least on 4 occasions) to ask them not to contact my father again and to inform them that he was on the Telephone Preference System i was told by the sales person that it was running about a year to 2 years behind and it might catch up with his number eventually, i wont even go in to the manner in which i was spoken to and how i was told i sounded uneducated.
Now would you believe they have contacted my father again to try and sell him a conservatory which would mean them removing the biggest window in the house that they have just fitted, after various phone calls my father agreed to someone coming just to stop all the calls he was getting and then spent the whole of the next evening hiding in his bedroom with the curtains shut to try and avoid the very persistent salesman, what have we got to do before they put my father back in hospital????.[evil]

Hi Kac - please phone Trading Standards about this. They will give you advice for you situation as well as maybe helping to stop this happening to other people.

kac
26-Jul-07, 09:08
Thanks Victoria will contact Trading Standards as i wouldn't want this to happen to any one else. Have been told that lots of people in Shetland had loads of problems with them aswell and they were eventualy chased off the island. Lots of complaints were listed in The Shetland Times i am led to believe.

porshiepoo
26-Jul-07, 09:28
We get these type of calls all the time and usually from the same company. All I do is say 'No thanks' and put the phone down. I don't give them a chance to get their sales pitch across.
Luckily for us my husband is a builder so we can do all these sorts of things ourselves.
My advice would be to not use these companies at all. See if someone you trust can recommend a local contractor and get a quote from them, I'd stay away from the likes of weatherseal, everest etc. Their selling tactics are nothing short of harrassment.

Go to citizens advice and see if there's something they can help you do. Appealing to the better nature of these companies isn't going to work I'm afraid as I dare say that they now see your father as an easy target for more rip offs.

Failing that, if your father does end up arranging another meeting, get some male family members to be there with him. Not to do anything too drastic you understand ;) but to intimidate the rep the same way your father is being intimidated.

You could alwayd try writing to them also and claiming that you've recorded on video the underhanded and harassing tactics of the company and threaten to send the whole lot to 'Watchdog' unless it stops immediately. You never know, it may work!

I sincerely hope that you manage to sort this problem out, especially for the sake of your fathers health.

BRIE
26-Jul-07, 10:57
these are part of space kitchens too!! beware of them trying to sell you a kitchen too![evil]

Dman
26-Jul-07, 17:45
Weatherseal are most definately the worst company we have ever dealt with we had windows, doors and patio doors fitted nearly 2 years ago now and we are still trying to get problems put right.At the time of the fitting we also had windows delivered that were the wrong size, but we would'nt let them put them in, a shaped bay window sill had to be returned cos that was all wrong, the patio doors had to be taken out and replaced cos we found cracks in the frame work,locks have'nt worked properly and we have spent 6 months trying to get the patio handles changed,WHY, because they have brought the wrong handles up 4 times now and when they did get the right handles they were the wrong way round so now we'll have to wait another few months.There customer services is appalling, they don't give a damm and trying to get through to the right department and the right depot is a joke, when they say that they will call you back they never do, this is just some of the problems we have expierienced with Weatherseal, I WOULD URGE PEOPLE NOT TO GO ANYWHERE NEAR WEATHERSEAL, I have not heard anything good about this company, not yet anyway, although as they say anything is possible.Moan over.[evil]

johno
26-Jul-07, 17:58
I watched a programme bout this some time ago where the tv people set it up for an elderly woman to be sold some windows & doors through a company that they were watching.. the salesman was in the home for seven hours press ganging her into a sale. [till after i.30 in the am]
seven hours, any one with a bit of sense would have chased this guy long before then, but it just show,s just how determined these guys are to clinch a deal

Highland Laddie
26-Jul-07, 21:26
I had Weatherseal windows and doors fitted 9 years ago, so far no problems, the two lads who fitted the doors and windows, were fast cleaned up after themselves and were very polite, the front door threw up a few problems we hadn.t realised, but no problem, they fixed it. had a call from them last year, i mentioned that the window handles were slightly tarnishing, they sent a guy up from Aberdeen to change them, no charge.

percy toboggan
26-Jul-07, 21:29
I've just agreed a price of £1650 for two upvc security locking doors and a canopy over one of 'em - in case this helps to measure the price you were quoted. Fully fitted.

kac
27-Jul-07, 09:24
I've just agreed a price of £1650 for two upvc security locking doors and a canopy over one of 'em - in case this helps to measure the price you were quoted. Fully fitted.
Thanks for that Percy Toboggan that makes my dads door and side screen at £2500.00 look quite expensive, but thanks for the info, another good reason to stay away from Weathersteal for me.

98elite
29-Jul-07, 01:06
Sorry to hear about your Dad, hope he is okay.
Please remember too that Weatherseal & Everest are the SAME company.

Dont think they are the same company, the businessman Brian Kennedy has owned both but sold Everest in 2003.