PDA

View Full Version : Pack Leadership

Lolabelle
25-Jul-07, 14:48
Hi, I know we have all been discussing this kind of stuff before, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas for my latest problem.
My female dog has a really pushy nature and would dearly love to the the pack leader. It is a constant battle and as an avid fan of Cesar Millan, I have tried to get her into line by walking daily with her not in front. I have never allowed her to lead, but lately when we walk she just edges forward and nothing seems to stop. She doesn't pull, just creeps forward so she is in the front. I try getting her attention with a "Hey" and then if that doesn't work, a short sharp tug on the lead. I now seem to have some kind of RSI in my elbow and this dog walking is becoming very painful. Any ideas????? Oh, I am already walking one on each side and have swapped her to my right, cause I have a bad shoulder on the left. And my boy, he is quite content to follow me anywhere. :confused

porshiepoo
25-Jul-07, 15:31
Is the dog getting herself way in front or is it just a few inches? I think the thing to remember is that according to Ceasar, a few inches doesn't matter so much.
Remember, Cesar Milan believes that our dogs would much rather be followers than pack leaders given half the chance, so perhaps your signals are getting mixed along the way somewhere? Perhaps if you're in pain when out walking your dog is picking up on this 'unstable' energy and just attempting to act accordingly?
Your other dog is obviously quite content with your leadership and is happy being a follower, this one though still feels the need to take over so it must be some kind of energy she's picking up and while you feel weak and helpless due to your pain she's seeing it as a need for you to take a step back and her a step up!
Could someone walk one with you while you sort this out? If not, I'd be tempted to try walking them seperately with your good arm until you've managed to sort it out.

Remember also though, she needs to be given her limits and boundaries at home also. Are you letting her off with little things - as we all do - because it's easier when you're in pain? It'll give her mixed messages.

I hope you sort out the problem, sorry I can't be of more help!

p.s Do you have the slip lead up under her throat in the right place?
I find the normal collars are useless for this, I use a rope lead with a rubber stop as it helps to keep the lead in place. Some have too much spring to the lead though so you have to be careful of that but otherwise they're fine.

Good Luck!

Lolabelle
26-Jul-07, 02:14
Thanks for that Porshiepoo, she has only started to be like this on a walk since I started to be more assertive with her at home:eek:.
She is a very dominate dog, so I think that she does not want to be a follower, she is one of the few who do want to be the pack leader. I have a check chain, but it keeps falling down, it is too big but I haven't been able to find one that is the right kind. I will go to the pet supermarket and see if I can find a more suitable collar. I have tried swapping them sides, but Kruger stresses if you try to put him on the other side. He will do it, but acts as it his throat is cut. Maybe I am not such a good pack leader, I will need to polish up my assertiveness. :confused
Actually you have just given me an idea, I might put a rubber ring on the chain/collar to stop it slipping if I can't find a better one.
Thank you again.

porshiepoo
26-Jul-07, 09:39
Just from reading your reply it's easy to see how down your feeling about the whole thing and dare I say.....defeated? You know as well as I do that your dog will be picking up on that and will feel the need to take over because your 'anxious' energy will be interpreted as unstable for the pack.
I'd seriously consider taking them out one at a time, just for a while, so that you only have the one to concentrate on.
You also say that your other dog stresses if you put him on the other side? Is this the side that hurts? If it is, I'd say it kinda proves the theory that your energy is very different on that side and both dogs are reacting the same to it.
The lead under the throat is the best way to go forward. Choke chains simply do not stay in place, they're not designed to sit in that area. Cesar Milans wife has invented the 'Illusion' collar and I dare say it's easy to enough to make one yourself if you take a look at it. I've heard from many people that it really does work because it does keep the collar in the right place.
Cesar himself swears by the cheap slip type leads and I must say they work for me but only if they have the rubber stop to keep them in place.

I hope you manage to work this one out!