PDA

View Full Version : VAT on vets bills

Oddquine
24-Jul-07, 19:59
I'd like to draw your attention to an epetition drawn up by a friend of mine.

In his own words "This is a tax on sick and dying animals and can often mean the difference between an animal living or having to be destroyed. In many instances it is the poorer members of our society who are affected the most."

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/VetbillsVAT/

If you agree, please sign it.

Nothing ventured.........nothing gained.

Angela
24-Jul-07, 21:24
Thanks for posting this, oddquine. :)

It took a few attempts for me to get the link to work, but I've signed now.

ks
24-Jul-07, 21:32
I am not sure why we should be not charged Vat on vet bills if anyone could enlighten me.

Oddquine
25-Jul-07, 08:19
I am not sure why we should be not charged Vat on vet bills if anyone could enlighten me.

I suppose it depends on what you class as a luxury.

Are pets any more of a luxury than magazines or betting?

I find it hard to work out why a five minute consultation, 4 mls eardrops, 118 mls earwash and 14 tablets plus VAT can come to £104 ( for the third time in three weeks)..........particularly when both sets of drops can be bought online for £11.

It's more than unlikely that vets would reduce their exorbitant charges so attempting to remove VAT would at least reduce costs and also pet insurance levels.

Ash
25-Jul-07, 10:33
i love my dog to bits and would be any amount of vet bill aslong as it helped him, but the vat charges are unbelievable! :mad:

fred
25-Jul-07, 11:07

Value Added Tax should be what it says, a tax on any increase in value on something.

If you take a dog to the vets to be put down they charge you VAT, is it worth any more after you take it than before?

ks
25-Jul-07, 18:58
Value Added Tax should be what it says, a tax on any increase in value on something.

If you take a dog to the vets to be put down they charge you VAT, is it worth any more after you take it than before?

We are charged Vat on most items including toilet roll, this isn't worth anymore after you have used it, the same as the dog isn't.

fred
25-Jul-07, 19:12
We are charged Vat on most items including toilet roll, this isn't worth anymore after you have used it, the same as the dog isn't.

When you go into a shop to buy a toilet roll you leave the shop with something you didn't have when you went in.

divanp75
27-Jul-07, 10:45
I found the link on one of the horse forums I am a member of.

Signed the petition straight away.

Diane

divanp75
27-Jul-07, 10:47
When you go into a shop to buy a toilet roll you leave the shop with something you didn't have when you went in.

I am sorry but I dont think that you can compare a animal with a toilet roll!!!!!

Diane

fred
27-Jul-07, 13:08
I am sorry but I dont think that you can compare a animal with a toilet roll!!!!!

Diane

I didn't, ks did.