PDA

View Full Version : first sign of rust on my cars paintwork.

Cookerpebble
24-Jul-07, 12:38
After consigning one car to the scrapheap recently due to a timing belt issue I have just noticed the first sign of rust on the other car. Whilst this is just a cosmetic flaw I would like to treat it before it gets any worse.

Who treats such issues here and due to my up brining as a tight fisted Aberdonian is it an expensive treatment?

seren
24-Jul-07, 12:50
i think it's an occupational hazard of living by the sea. where we used live our cars' bodywork always rotted away long before the engine was shot :~(

johno
24-Jul-07, 13:06
depends on if its coming from the inside or if its surface . from the inside ,its almost impossible to fix without cutting out the bad bit & welding in a new piece then filling and painting, if its just surface thats easier to fix. but either way its likely that the rust,ll still find its way back. if the car has a few years under it,s belt best to just leave it as it is. :confused

Solus
24-Jul-07, 13:41
Buy a tin of stuff called ACF50 and put it on the rust spot, it wont make it disappear but will help to stop it spreading. Its really good stuff that the aviation industry use and brill for using on areas that may rust and forms a layer to resist salt and water.