PDA

View Full Version : pop goes the door...and disaster!!!

pirateeye
23-Jul-07, 23:27
it all happened about 3 weeks ago, it was a beautiful day (believe it or not) so i put some of my rabbits in their runs for some grass and excersize, and because my garden is enclosed i can let rabbits run free in it, so i put two 10 month old female rabbits (sisters who live together) in the garden and they were having a lovely time. then, little did i know, the the screw, holding the catch on a rabbit hutch of a buck, popped off...it was secure, so i thought, and it has never happened before, so the buck got out, and unfortunatly we only found him when he was with one of the females....i separated them straight away and put him back in a different hutch and hoped that i'd caught them quick enough...but yesterday i thought i'd better have a feel of them to check them again, as last week i felt nothing...but BOTH of their stomachs are big, firm and lumpy...i know the feeling all too well, so i am expecting litters in about a week. the only thing is, they live together, and i know i'll have to separate them while they have their litter, anyone know if they'll be alright back living together in a few months when their babies are separated from them? in my experiance they usually don't get on after they've had their first...but maybe they will, i don't know. it would be awful if they wouldn't go back together, wouldn't they be lonely?

i am getting better catches made,a bit late i know but some advice to others, put extra security on hutch doors:Razz

so if anyone wants a bunny or two.....:D

corgiman
24-Jul-07, 09:48
my wife posted on here a long time ago about extra security on hutch doors http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=17999&highlight=hutch+security
they may go back together but you are going o have to watch them very carefully for any signs of fighting as the bond will have been broken.