PDA

View Full Version : Why not?

King_Creon
23-Jul-07, 20:13
Hi all. I went to why not for lunch today for the first time and i must say i enjoyed the interior of the place. very nice and quiet although we were the only ones there. That didn't bother me though, i imagine it gets much busier at night and on the weekends. what i wasn't too pleased about was the lunch. i ordered southern fried chicken breast with 'home made, chunky' chips. a fairly simple meal in my mind but we were presented with something u may expect to find in some 'upper class' establishment. the presentation was so over the top. the two breasts (slightly burnt on the outside) stacked on top of these chips... now the chips were just soggy potato wedges, not particularily tasty. the chicken was fine but the way the plate was laid out made it look and taste like something it wasn't. presentation doesn't last, the taste does; or it should. i feel that they sacrificed the food for the presentation. what is everyone elses opinions on why not? i would like to go again as there were a few other meals that sounded nice.

Ash
23-Jul-07, 20:58
i have been there a few times, and everything was always good, although went saturday with my parents and my dad wasnt keen on his burger said for what he was charged he thought id wouldve been better, they have a different chef now and i think i preferred the old one.......

brandy
23-Jul-07, 21:06
where is it?

anneoctober
23-Jul-07, 21:06
Have only been once since the makeover & that was just for a hot chocolate. However the "in laws " use it regularly and they find it pricey, also food great some days, not so good other times. :confused

King_Creon
23-Jul-07, 21:12
it used to be the red wood. in between the co-op and the grove pub.

cyberman
24-Jul-07, 09:47
I found it a brill place to sit and relax, the interior is realy modern unlike any where up here, but the food let it down big style nothing to write home about, the menu was so plain, and nothing there that realy floated my boat? I think it could go a long way with the right food?

corgiman
24-Jul-07, 09:50
we went as a family for a meal when it opened and i said the same thing with the right food it could do a roaring trade, the menu was letting it down a bit.

gollach
24-Jul-07, 10:12
I've been there as few times now. The food is ok but it's the service I'm not keen on. It can take an age to get served, even if you are the only customer there at the time. Have walked out a couple of times due to nobody serving!

Ash
24-Jul-07, 10:15
you have to go up and order, ive always found the service good, the new menu is good, my foods always been good, its loads more modern and friendly oh and VERY clean!:D

Gleber2
24-Jul-07, 12:17
The new chef is trying very hard to change the menu and to cater for all tastes and I am sure that the management would be glad to hear suggestions to improve service and choice of meals. Have a word with Luke, the chef, and he will listen and apply.:)

gollach
24-Jul-07, 12:49
you have to go up and order

Yeah, I know. But when the bar staff are not behind the bar and everyone seems to be hiding in the kitchen, you can't place your order.

Ash
24-Jul-07, 12:55
Yeah, I know. But when the bar staff are not behind the bar and everyone seems to be hiding in the kitchen, you can't place your order.

ive never had any problems when i go in, i like aswell because they cater for kids and dont overcharge you like the central does, :D

gollach
24-Jul-07, 13:02
ive never had any problems when i go in, i like aswell because they cater for kids and dont overcharge you like the central does, :D

Has happened to me the twice I have walked out and I have sat and waited for someone to appear behind the bar another time so I can order. Have to say that I can't recommend to anyone if their lunch break is short.

Agree that Y-NOT is top for cleanliness though.

Ash
24-Jul-07, 13:08
Agree that Y-NOT is top for cleanliness though.[/quote]

yeah its very clean, far better than when its was the redwood, especially the toilets

the gourmet
12-Aug-07, 18:11
We used to go to this place from time to time but have given up on it now. The food seems to be straight out of the packet and even then they can't seem to get it right. It is indeed a clean place and once you can find the staff they are a friendly bunch.

I know they have had a lot of staff leave recently and once they get things stabilised I hope they will start making orders from fresh produce again like they used to.

I've always found the park hotel to be a nice safe place to eat with the bistro and Upper Deck also up there with the best in the Thurso area.

orkneylass
12-Aug-07, 18:17
what is not clear from this thread is whether anything was said to the proprietor and staff to enable them to improve things or make amends. It seems unfair to sound off through a local forum if the issues are not flagged up in a way that enables a person running a business to sort things out.

Ash
12-Aug-07, 18:19
we eat there alot, and the foods great!:D

Fantoosh
12-Aug-07, 19:01
well, i actually think it is a brilliant place. The food menu is a lot different from any other menu i've seen in thurso.

Also, I think the presentation is done nicely. At least the food isnt thrown on the plate like the central, etc.

Ash
12-Aug-07, 19:04
Also, I think the presentation is done nicely. At least the food isnt thrown on the plate like the central, etc.

well said, cant really say much good about the presentation or the food in central- used to eat there alot but recently went with my sister i had chicken fillets and they were awful so was the sauce

King_Creon
12-Aug-07, 19:48
what is not clear from this thread is whether anything was said to the proprietor and staff to enable them to improve things or make amends. It seems unfair to sound off through a local forum if the issues are not flagged up in a way that enables a person running a business to sort things out.

what i don't get from your comment is that does anything need to be said directly to them? this forum is for opinions and discussion. whether i raised the issue with staff or not is nothing to do with it. i was originally asking for people OPINIONS on the place. and to be honest, the business should know; they are the ones serving the food.

*Martin*
12-Aug-07, 20:20
I've been twice and both times it was great! The second time we had a bit of a wait but the girl took some tortilla chips and dip out to us! The place looks so great as weell. To me the only thing that let it down was they had spent so much money on doing the place up but the menu's were printed off their home PC and weren't even laminated!

But that never stopped me going back the 2nd time :)

Ash
12-Aug-07, 20:22
I've been twice and both times it was great! The second time we had a bit of a wait but the girl took some tortilla chips and dip out to us! The place looks so great as weell. To me the only thing that let it down was they had spent so much money on doing the place up but the menu's were printed off their home PC and weren't even laminated!

But that never stopped me going back the 2nd time :)

you will be happy to know that they are now different, they are laminated! lol:D

the gourmet
12-Aug-07, 20:22
what i don't get from your comment is that does anything need to be said directly to them? this forum is for opinions and discussion. whether i raised the issue with staff or not is nothing to do with it. i was originally asking for people OPINIONS on the place. and to be honest, the business should know; they are the ones serving the food.
I must admit when I gave up going to the Y-Not I didn't exactly present the staff with a list of what they were doing wrong but simply went to other places where the food was better for the same price.

With eating establishments people tend to vote with their feet and good service can usually be evidenced by tips that are left behind.

My parents stopped going when a pool ball (white) went over the top of their heads whilst eating. We stopped going when food arrived sometimes cold, sometimes incomplete and often overpriced for what was on the plate. Other people I know stopped going when the going rate for a starter was £1 per king prawn !!

I think the people running the show in the Y-Not MUST know there are problems with the food/ambience in this place but I think it can be turned around and they just need time. When I hear better reviews we WILL give them another try.

They must have spent a fortune upgrading this place from what it once was and good luck in turning things around.

Ash
12-Aug-07, 20:25
i agree about the pool table as i was in there for the 1st time with the wee one and only seat we could get was beside the pool table which was being used which irrated the hell out of me, i have now noticed its pused to the side and covered up

the gourmet
12-Aug-07, 20:36
i agree about the pool table as i was in there for the 1st time with the wee one and only seat we could get was beside the pool table which was being used which irrated the hell out of me, i have now noticed its pused to the side and covered up
Good to hear about the pool table and just what I said about things getting better with the passage of time. They just need to work on the packet food thing now and we will give them another try.

Ash
21-Aug-07, 13:39
i have said alot of good things about Y Not but today me and other half intended in going in after dropping of the wee one at nursery for a coffee and maybe breakfast as OH was on weeks holiday, went in and looked at the menu and walked straight back out, a breakfast was £6.50 and a roll with bacon or sausage was £2.50 im sorry but i find this incredibley over priced!

so we went to coop and bought bacon and rolls and went home and made it, im not a cheap skate but its ridicolous:confused