PDA

View Full Version : Thurso gala

jay
10-Jul-05, 13:43
thanks to the organisers and all those who made such an effort in the Thurso Gala this year - it's getting better and better every year - hopefully it will continue to do so and we might even catch up with Wick!!!!!!!!!!!

kas
10-Jul-05, 18:06
It was good.
First time I have watched it for years as I am normally in it, but my friends were away this year.
My personal favourites were Mary Poppins for the floats and the VE day family for the street collectors.
Dont think we will ever catch up with Wick thoug,h it is normally in a difference class.

Angel-Eyes
10-Jul-05, 18:09
I thought Thurso gala this year was rubbish!!!

It always is!

Wick Gala is far better than Thurso! Didnt even think it was that busy there either.

scotsboy
10-Jul-05, 18:16
Nothing like a bit of constructive criticism :roll:

Mandy
10-Jul-05, 20:14
We were at the Gala as well - the Mary Poppins float was certainly the best.

A plea to pet owners though - please don't take your dogs to these events if you can possibly avoid it! We saw one poor dog, who was so terrified of the pipe band, yet his owners had him standing right beside them!

It's the same for Bonfire Night in Wick - so many people take their dogs with them, and they are clearly terrified - why subject your dogs to these events if you know they will be scared?

linzy222
10-Jul-05, 23:09
Didn't think much of the banger derby, only 5 Thurso boys entered, that is hellish!!

There was more from Wick!!

jay
10-Jul-05, 23:42
angel-eyes, the point I was making was that the Thurso Gala is steadily improving - it is people with opinions like yours that stops any enthusiam about the gala - a lot of people have put in a lot of work to try and make the galas better - if the locals don't support there efforts then they don't deserve a gala at all. Yes Wick is better but then again most wickers will turn out to support any event in their town unlike Thurso so tend just to critisise anyone who tries. The gala last night was quite busy, especially since it was extremely wet and the Wick pipe band had their fancy dress parade on. This year we had bands playing outside the town hall after the parade of floats and highland dancing in the town square - even at 10.00 last night there were a lot of people on the street and the pubs looked really busy. so instead of puting the gala down why not do something to help improve it - join in!

Whitewater
13-Jul-05, 23:03
I took my two grandsons up to Thurso gala and we really enjoyed the parade, the Mary Poppins float was excellent, I hope they can manage to bring it down to Wick. The Thurso parade is smaller than Wick, but the people who make the effort to take part on floats or to go walkabout in fancydress should be praised and encouraged, it is a once per year event, and perhaps their enthusiasm may encourage others to take part as there is an unlimited supply of topics for floats and fancydress. The better it gets the more money will be collected by the town improvements association to be used for the benifit of all in the town not just the people who take part.