PDA

View Full Version : puppy eating paws

Persephone
23-Jul-07, 15:46
does anyone know, I don't know if it means anything but lately my puppy has been biting his paws and seems obsessed with licking them? He has abit of a tummy bug going on just now so might be related.

justine
23-Jul-07, 15:59
have you checked his feet...He may have something in them that is irritating him...Or he could just be one of those dogs that do that.We have a four yr old dog and he loves to lie on his back and chew his feet....Iam sure it will be nothing to worry about though....

Persephone
23-Jul-07, 16:04
yeah can't see anything obvious. Its just when i took him to the vet re his tummy probs he asked if he was biting his feet which he wasn't at the time but has just started it. HHmm...guess i should just ask the vet eh?

buggyracer
23-Jul-07, 16:06
get him to the vet.

Persephone
23-Jul-07, 16:10
that sounds quite serious! What do you think?

porshiepoo
23-Jul-07, 17:47
Biting and gnawing at paws can be a sign of skin irritation. I'd ask your vet, especially if you see any little 'hot spots' appear!

Liz
23-Jul-07, 18:06
Sometimes dogs lick areas which are painful. Don't know whether it could be referred pain from the tummy?

However, is it possible that he has stood in something like stinging nettles?
I have had problems after walks where my dogs have licked their paws until they bled and it turned out to be nettles!
I got some medicated spray which really helps.
Also if you have carpets be careful what you clean them with as cleaners can irritate dogs' paws.

Good luck and hope he gets better soon.