PDA

View Full Version : Wick High School's Uniform- Question

rfr10
23-Jul-07, 14:22
Now, I'm sure you'll all be amazed to hear that.. after lots of consideration..:Razz.. I've bought a school uniform. Now, if what I bought is acceptable as the uniform and is all I have to wear then I'll be happy. I've got a white polo shirt and a.. well I'm not too sure what you call it, it's not a hoodie but a light zip up top. If I wore that, is that ok? (Venture, if you're reading this) Or.. well, I'm not actually completely sure from what I've read what the uniform is. First of all, I believe you had to wear a white shirt, tie and.. actually it would be easier to ask.. What is Wick High School's uniform. If it's acceptable just to wear what I have bought then it's not as bad as I thought then..

Info please ?? :Razz

porshiepoo
23-Jul-07, 17:45
I'd love to know exactly what the girls are supposed to wear and where we get it from!
Tescos selection was pretty dismal to be honest and my daughter refused to believe that it was for Wick High! :lol:

Info please?

rfr10
23-Jul-07, 18:13
I'd love to know exactly what the girls are supposed to wear and where we get it from!
Tescos selection was pretty dismal to be honest and my daughter refused to believe that it was for Wick High! :lol:

Info please?

I bought mine from the National Schoolware centre in Inverness. That's probably the best place to get it from.

rainbow
23-Jul-07, 22:58
I bought my daughters tops from the National schoolwear shop in Inverness. They have some lovely girls tops, and shaped for a girls physique. I also bought some nice blouses and trousers from Primark and Next. You do not need expensive clothes, but you can mix and match - a dear top with cheap trousers etc, what I am trying to say is buying the uniform will not break the bank, and there is plenty of girls wear out there, and you do not need to look too hard.My daughter is looking forward to wearing a uniform, and was insistant on buying the tie.

Tubthumper
23-Jul-07, 23:01
rfr10, good for you! Regardless of what the detail is, someone who obviously cares (like you) setting an example, even if it isn't quite right, will mean a hell of a lot to the other folk in the school.
You're a leader; It may not seem quite like that just now but I'm sure it will become apparent later.
Become a politician. Then no-one will agree with you, everyone will disagree with you, yet they'll all expect you to continue setting an example.
Go for it lad!

DarkAngel
23-Jul-07, 23:11
I like the Wick High School uniform i think its classy.

I really wish we had a school uniform when i started which was in 1996.. :(

There would have been less bullying if we were all the same!

Murdina Bug
24-Jul-07, 10:36
What is Wick High School's uniform. If it's acceptable just to wear what I have bought then it's not as bad as I thought then..

Why didn't you find out from the school before the holidays? For goodness sake there was enough coverage of the topic when they launched the stuff - as a 'youth representitave' I would have expected that you could have shown a little bit of initiative and found out about the whole idea to start with instead of dismissing it out of hand.

BRIE
24-Jul-07, 11:56
in rfr10 defence it wasnt stated very clearly what exactly was the uniform! & even after I telephoned the school to check what was appropriate they could tell me for sure!!
the school said as long as its either a white shirt or polo shirt & any plain black top & trousers its fine but when I went to the national schoolwear shop in inverness ( very helpful staff) they said if you wear a polo shirt it has to have a logo & the same goes for any black top or blazer. Also shoes must be plain black no trainers & a plain black jacket.
hope this helps rfr10:Razz

rfr10
24-Jul-07, 13:12
in rfr10 defence it wasnt stated very clearly what exactly was the uniform! & even after I telephoned the school to check what was appropriate they could tell me for sure!!
the school said as long as its either a white shirt or polo shirt & any plain black top & trousers its fine but when I went to the national schoolwear shop in inverness ( very helpful staff) they said if you wear a polo shirt it has to have a logo & the same goes for any black top or blazer. Also shoes must be plain black no trainers & a plain black jacket.

Thanks BRIE, yes that did help.:D

Victoria
24-Jul-07, 14:03

It sounds like that shop is trying to make some extra money out of the tops with a logo on them!

porshiepoo
24-Jul-07, 14:18
I thought the uniform was white top, black trousers or skirt and a black jumper?

Ruddy great that\ we have to go charging all the way down to Inverness to pick up a blinking uniform. [evil]

rfr10
24-Jul-07, 14:19
I thought the uniform was white top, black trousers or skirt and a black jumper?

Ruddy great that\ we have to go charging all the way down to Inverness to pick up a blinking uniform. [evil]

The school handed out order forms aswell for the NSC

connieb19
24-Jul-07, 17:27
Why don't folk just buy the blazer from Tesco and sew the badge on themselves?

SNOWDOG
24-Jul-07, 23:26
Im a bit confused, i heard from someone that the new uniform isnt compulsary, i was under the impression that it was! :confused

rfr10
24-Jul-07, 23:33
Im a bit confused, i heard from someone that the new uniform isnt compulsary, i was under the impression that it was! :confused

No school can make a uniform "compulsary" they can make a strong reccommendation that it is worn though. It's more a set of rules. If you don't go by them then any necessary, reasonable action will be taken by the school and the parents. Wick High School have said that that's what you have to wear to school but they can't force you to wear it unless your parents make you wear it. If parents are happy for the child not the wear the uniform then the school cannot punish the pupil. If the parents say that the child IS to wear the uniform but the child chooses not to then, I'm sure they can punish them in some way or another.

BRIE
24-Jul-07, 23:34
no need to travel all the way to inverness as they sell the uniforms in gunns & macallans.
you can order them over the phone from inverness too & they will post them free of charge:D
you can buy the badges for the blazers there £4 you just iron them on.
the uniform isnt compulsory but they will try to encourage all pupils to wear them.
does actually make more sense to wear things with the school logo rather than just plain black just a shame there twice the price!!

rfr10
24-Jul-07, 23:38
Uniforms - Resource askcab.co.uk

There is no legislation covering the wearing of school uniform but many schools have policies relating to uniform and the wearing of jewellery etc. Whilst there is nothing in law the governing body of your school can lay down quite strict rules about the uniform you should wear at school. The only things that they can’t do is discriminate on the grounds of race or sex. This could be that the school says that girls can’t wear trousers. In circumstances like this it could be that the school is discriminating against girls and especially those from the Islamic community or saying that Sikhs can’t wear turbans. Equally a school which says that students can’t wear jewellery may have problems with some traditions who require people wear certain items.

You can usually find what the schools policies are on uniform and appearance in the school’s prospectus.

You may find that if you don’t wear school uniform you could be disciplined including being excluded but government guidelines say that you shouldn’t be excluded if you are not complying due to religious or cultural reasons or where you cannot comply through no fault of your own.

According to the Government the County Council can help with the cost of school uniform but not all councils do. Even when they do what is on offer can be very restrictive. Norfolk, for example, only offer a £25 voucher per family and only if the family is on income support. If you or your parents want to claim we have some forms so please get in touch . You might find you’re better off making an appointment to see your form tutor or connexions PA to see if they can help. You might also be able to get some help from one of the charities listed on our pagehere (http://www.askcab.co.uk/youth_site/grants%20and%20charities.asp)

It may be that you could get some help from the school’s governing body or parents' association. This is often provided by the school keeping a stock of second-hand clothing which it gives to pupils or by running a second-hand uniform shop where the clothing can be bought cheaply by any parent.

It is not possible to get a community care grant, from the social fund, to help with school uniform, but your parents might be able to get a budgeting loan if they are on benefit.

rfr10
24-Jul-07, 23:42
no need to travel all the way to inverness as they sell the uniforms in gunns & macallans.
you can order them over the phone from inverness too & they will post them free of charge:D
you can buy the badges for the blazers there £4 you just iron them on.
the uniform isnt compulsory but they will try to encourage all pupils to wear them.
does actually make more sense to wear things with the school logo rather than just plain black just a shame there twice the price!!

Gunns are far to expensive. That's why I bought mind from the NSC.

canuck
25-Jul-07, 00:10
Now, I'm sure you'll all be amazed to hear that.. after lots of consideration..:Razz.. I've bought a school uniform. Now, if what I bought is acceptable as the uniform and is all I have to wear then I'll be happy. I've got a white polo shirt and a.. well I'm not too sure what you call it, it's not a hoodie but a light zip up top. If I wore that, is that ok? (Venture, if you're reading this) Or.. well, I'm not actually completely sure from what I've read what the uniform is. First of all, I believe you had to wear a white shirt, tie and.. actually it would be easier to ask.. What is Wick High School's uniform. If it's acceptable just to wear what I have bought then it's not as bad as I thought then..

Aren't you about ready to graduate?

rfr10
25-Jul-07, 00:19
Aren't you about ready to graduate?

I'm in 5th year at the moment and will also be staying for a 6th.

BRIE
25-Jul-07, 11:50
I'm in 5th year at the moment and will also be staying for a 6th.

thats what I like to see someone who wants to get a decent education & not leave school as soon as they can just to claim the brew!
lucky for me my son is of the same view & is in the 5th year too.:D

dirdyweeker
26-Jul-07, 23:42
here is a copy of part of the letter sent out to pupils before the school broke up. Hope it makes it clearer for those who seem confused by the choices.http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/549/highschoolru4.jpghttp://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2664/highschool2zr8.jpg