PDA

View Full Version : correct custom

sorghaghtanibeki
22-Jul-07, 19:27
have japanese visitors coming tomorrow, is it polite for a man to shake Japanese wife's hand? this serious question. some say yes some no. advice?

golach
22-Jul-07, 19:48
have japanese visitors coming tomorrow, is it polite for a man to shake Japanese wife's hand? this serious question. some say yes some no. advice?
I may be wrong, but bowing is the normal greeting to the Japanese, but maybe I am of the older generation, and am out of touch:confused

seren
22-Jul-07, 20:07
i always thought bowing was correct for both sexes.

seren
22-Jul-07, 20:09
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2000.html

helenwyler
22-Jul-07, 20:33
You'll probably find the Japanese are well up on British customs and won't expect you to greet them Nipon-style, sorghaghtanbeki. Get your angle of bowing wrong and you could be sending a different message than you you intended.
Probably best not to kiss the wife.

MadPict
22-Jul-07, 21:59
Japanese that I have met use western style greetings - I think the traditional greetings (bowing) are more likely used in Japan.

JAWS
22-Jul-07, 22:11
I would suggest that "back-slapping" is definitely out. ;) Hope all goes well.
Should there be any mishaps I would suggest using the excuse which works with any Nationality, "Sorry, British, can't help it!" :D

EDDIE
22-Jul-07, 23:22

Treat them the same way u would anyone else at the end of day there in your culture.

Rheghead
22-Jul-07, 23:50
watashi wa Rheghead desu:D (nearly i guess, memory alludes me)

floyed
23-Jul-07, 10:02
I think its bowing i don't think they shake hands.

DarkAngel
23-Jul-07, 11:21
sorghaghtanibeki how did you get on..They are arriving today..?Hope it went well!!:)

sorghaghtanibeki
23-Jul-07, 21:22
thank you all for your advise. Japanese lady driving car she get out and shook our hand and introduced husband. very very western!
thank you

karia
23-Jul-07, 21:26
PHeww!

Just shows, you can't judge a book by its cover!;)

Karia

Cattach
24-Jul-07, 12:14
I would suggest that "back-slapping" is definitely out. ;) Hope all goes well.
Should there be any mishaps I would suggest using the excuse which works with any Nationality, "Sorry, British, can't help it!" :D

Maybe you should say 'English, can't help it' since the world think we are all English and if they don't think that it would get the Scots of the hook!