PDA

View Full Version : egg throwing

las123
22-Jul-07, 15:29
my nana and grandad were at the pipeband last night and she said that they got 3 eggs thrown at them, then they were in the central at lunch and someone got one thrown at there window.

that is terrible someone could off been hurt, or even a child!! [evil]

i am sure they have cctv outside the pentland so they should be caught on there.:roll:

Ash
22-Jul-07, 15:34
thats awful, you would think that the cameras wouldve picked it up but whenever there is an incident we are always told cameras picked up nothing!:mad:

johno
22-Jul-07, 15:38
childish & immature.[disgust]

golach
22-Jul-07, 15:43
childish & immature.[disgust]

Immature Yes!!!!.........but were they Children?

dunderheed
22-Jul-07, 15:47
the cameras will only pick it up if the people monitering them are actually on the specific people at the right time, remember its only a camera not an all seeing eye .
oh and btw it wisnae me even though i still maintain the band should play doon at the toon hall

las123
22-Jul-07, 15:48
yeah they said that it was a group of kids. i hope they are caught!

johno
22-Jul-07, 15:50
probably not. but you dont have to be a child to act childish...[disgust]

floyed
22-Jul-07, 15:54
how stupid!! They surely don't have anything better to do with there time.

golach
22-Jul-07, 15:56
probably not. but you dont have to be a child to act childish...[disgust]
Johno......very true

anneoctober
22-Jul-07, 16:06
Most kids are ok, it's the usual minority that spoil everything. Having said that , there is NO respect shown by kids towards anyone these days, especially the elderly. [evil]

Ash
22-Jul-07, 16:10
in no way am i sticking up for the people who did this....... but kids get the blame for everything and half the time its the idiotic twenty something year olds!

DarkAngel
22-Jul-07, 17:28
Yes it probably is the idiotic twenty year olds....:roll:

percy toboggan
22-Jul-07, 17:36
Offenders should be returned to the stocks for a public pelting, preferably with rotten eggs.

When is this country going to wake up and realise that some of the punishments of old were well worth keeping. Public humiliaiton and shaming of miscreants like these is the only way to deter them, unless one advocates a return of the lash.
Perhaps we should have a vote?

engiebenjy
23-Jul-07, 18:52
he kids who did it were 15 - 16 years old, and were behind the church. One of them lives in High Ormlie, but that's as much identification as I am giving. I have to say I wasn't the least bit surprised to see that he was in the middle of it though.

Cattach
24-Jul-07, 12:19
he kids who did it were 15 - 16 years old, and were behind the church. One of them lives in High Ormlie, but that's as much identification as I am giving. I have to say I wasn't the least bit surprised to see that he was in the middle of it though.

Hope you passed this info onto the Police. If you did not you are wasting time even bothering to post it as knowledge without action helps no one.

rob murray
24-Jul-07, 12:54
A few months back in Wick a visiting sea cadet band from Dundee were treated similary by youths throwing things at them whilst they played, leading to a wee girl suffering an injury. The incident was reported in the local press and no apology on behalf of the town was given ( if there was maybe I missed it ) Regardless who actually threw the objects the assaults happened in the town of Wick and the town of Wick should have formally apologised to their visitors. ( in my opinion ) The town of Thurso should similary formally aplogise to the pipe band as well.

That got me thinking, once upon a time Wick had a provost ie a recognised figure head and in days gone by local politicians, who, I presume, could apologise to the band on behalf of the community Who would do that now ? Has centralisation robbed local communities of their identity or are we decending into violent indifference.

Also, the annual festival of unchecked assaults through throwing coins at people kicks of this saturday. For many years gala participants on floats have been assaulted by deliberate coin throwers and this gala will be no different. Perhaps a community council or similar body ( thats a point isnt it who exactly do we trun to !! ) can provide money for proper stewarding for this event and indeed any event being staged in Wick and Thurso, maybe then participants can be protected.

Its a sad fact that these incidents occur and do so on a regular basis, so people involved in street events must be protected from the violent minority.

Just some thoughts !

Thumper
24-Jul-07, 17:40
Yeah Rob I have been party to those assaults and they are very painful! I have to add though that last year Wick did actually make some arrests because of coin throwing(or at least thats what I have been told) Thurso is as bad for this horrible "hobby" Last year there were a lot of 15-20 year olds all up the steps at the old jobcentre and they were throwing with all their might!My friend got one in the eye and it was bruised for days! The gala is supposed to be a fun family event not an assault course (emphasis on assault!!)

percy toboggan
24-Jul-07, 17:49
I'm saddened at the revelations, gleaned from this board over the last eighteen months or so. Wick is beginning to sound like a fairly unpleasant place with a sizeable proportion of knobheads. As a resident of the outskirts of one of England's largest cities I don't experience much of this kind of anti-social yobbery (lucky maybe) I've always been naive enough to think smallish Scottish towns kind of policed themselves. Maybe I need a village for that.Maybe I need a diffferent country or a different planet.

George Brims
24-Jul-07, 19:03
Time was when this sort of thing would be dealt with in one of three ways.

Someone would have a quiet word with the parents of such a brat, and it would be dealt with at home. That has gone by the wayside as nowadays every parent thinks theirs is the only perfect child. I remember a guy actually trying to punch me for stopping his three year old autographing a car with a piece of broken glass (Wick, 1972, the upper reaches of Pultneytown)

Another way was a bobby would take a youth aside and give him a painful but non-injuring lesson. I remember one bobby telling my dad he was taught to make sure the kid was facing *away* from the harbour before giving him a whack! The whole thing stopped with a widely publicised legal case involving a Caithness bobby and the child of a local bigwig. The bobby was in all sorts of trouble over leaving a mark on the little twit. That sort of carefully applied street justice was pretty much gone from then on.

Then there's the Caithness way. I guess you would call it vigilantism. Others might call it "sorting them out".

seren
24-Jul-07, 20:22
I'm saddened at the revelations, gleaned from this board over the last eighteen months or so. Wick is beginning to sound like a fairly unpleasant place with a sizeable proportion of knobheads. As a resident of the outskirts of one of England's largest cities I don't experience much of this kind of anti-social yobbery (lucky maybe) I've always been naive enough to think smallish Scottish towns kind of policed themselves. Maybe I need a village for that.Maybe I need a diffferent country or a different planet.
sadly i don't think there's anywhere left like that in britain, at least not since bobbies were allowed to give kids a clip round the ear for misbehaving ;)

Angela
24-Jul-07, 20:30

I different century, I think, percy. I'm afraid you're wearing rose-coloured specs if you think "smallish Scottish towns" are still the same as they were 50 years ago, any more than anywhere else is :(

cuddlepop
24-Jul-07, 20:48
Egg throwing along with all the other supposedly funny things some people do is wide spread.
Portree by and by is relatively quiet compared to some villages for this type of "fun".Maybe its down to the type of community policing that goes on.The police tend to stamp on problems fairly quickly.:)

karia
24-Jul-07, 20:50
I agree with angela! Nothing & nowhere can remained isolated from change,...good or bad!

Angela? Any 1k thing you want to say?;)

karia

Angela
24-Jul-07, 20:52
Oh Karia, you know I can resist anything except temptation! ;)

rob murray
25-Jul-07, 11:55
Yes, times have changed and everyone has a view into how anti social / criminal behaviour should be dealt with ie police etc. However the fact remains that the incidents people have outlined on this thread have happended quite regulary and wont suddenly go away.

Gala's are big occasions, the Wick one regulary drawing thousands of people plus a large percentage of active participants. Events like this have to properly stewarded and policed, a football match drawing this amount of spectators wont go ahead unless stewards and police are involved. Obviously this has a cost but incidents are going to happen so accept this and put in place approprate safety measures for all. ( costs can surely be covered from the gala float collection or a separate "community shame" collection ) Events have to go on regardless of extra costs or the minority win here.

The actions of a minority cannot be ignored, they live in local communities and their actions must reflect on the whole community, so communities cannot turn a blind eye nor sweep issues under the carpet.