PDA

View Full Version : Whats for Sunday Lunch?

Ash
22-Jul-07, 12:47
so does everyone have a typical sunday roast every week?

when i lived at home i did..... was going to have a roast today but forgot to take chicken out freezer! duh!:confused

karia
22-Jul-07, 12:57
Hi Ash,

Whole baked trout (caught yesterday!), stuffed with lime and coriander and served with ayrshire potatoes, a dollop of creme fraiche and veg.

Yum!:D

karia

Ash
22-Jul-07, 13:02
mmmm sounds good

floyed
22-Jul-07, 13:08
I do make a Sunday lunch if the other half is home, but with him working away cant be bothered so just what every is the easiest usually pasta mmm:D

Ash
22-Jul-07, 13:11
:Dthink thats what i will be having tonight love my pasta

anneoctober
22-Jul-07, 16:21
Apparently, the lunch I made my hubby was "so filling" that he can ONLY manage a pudding tonight...:eek:
Love Roast beef wi all the trimmings..............

Ash
22-Jul-07, 16:45
well im settling for steak pie, tatties and veg mmmmm
and ice-cream for afters:D

NLP
22-Jul-07, 16:45
Today roast pork but I don't do a roast every week depends on the mood.

DarkAngel
22-Jul-07, 17:45
Im having a Indian for Dinner tonight...Was out lastnite and feelin rather delicate today....So best that i didnt cook!!!! haha!:lol:

joan
22-Jul-07, 18:31
We are having homemade mince pie,peas,tatties and neeps.

anneoctober
22-Jul-07, 18:47
Im having a Indian for Dinner tonight...Was out lastnite and feelin rather delicate today....So best that i didnt cook!!!! haha!:lol:
Poor wifie, hope you're feeling better now.....Which reminds me...I ALWAYS have mashed potato when feeling .......poorly .....!!!!;)

helenwyler
22-Jul-07, 19:43
Sunday lunches (proper) sadly a thing of the past, since both daughters are now vegetarian.

Today, however, I had the unusual pleasure (?) of having 'surprise' lunch cooked for me by husband and mother-in-law (she's great!).

I got up early to prepare the vegetarian stuff, Mr W did the 'surprise' main course. So far so good. I was then told politely to 'disappear'. No problem, I can do that.

Then came their joint preparation of desert; Jamie Oliver's 'Chocolate and Whole Orange Desert'. A steamed pud. Hmmm. A few background details needed here.

Husband: inexperienced cook who sticks dogmatically to every detail of recipe. Loves Jamie Oliver.

Mother-in-law: very experienced cook, very suspicious of young upstarts like...Jamie Oliver:eek:.

I went upstairs as bid, only to hear crashes and bangs as they searched cupboards for dishes and utensils. That was OK...it's always a challenge working in somebody else's kitchen (Hubby has only lived here for 15 years).

And then they start Jamie's steamed pud.

Questions shouted up from downstairs.

Q. Do you have baking paper? Do you have tin foil?
A. Yes.
Q. Where? (I come downstairs to find them. Back upstairs.)

(Five minutes later)
Q. Do you have string to tie it?
A. No. Currently out of stock.
Q. Do you have strong cotton to tie it?
A. Don't know about strong.
(Find some of my mother's old 1960s extra strength cotton and deliver downstairs. Go back upstairs.)
Q. Do you have 2 pint bowls?
(Come downstairs to check)
A. No. Only 1/2 & 2 litre bowls. Next door might have one we could borrow.

Husband refuses to countenance 'borrowing'.
Dashes to supermarket, only to find they have no 1 litre bowls. Husband is very disconcerted, but m-in-law experienced enough to make-do with what we have.

Some time later:
M-in-law: ....well I've always filled the pan to the top whenever I make steamed puddings... not halfway. I always cream the butter first....
Husband/son: MUM, JUST FOLLOW THE RECIPE[evil]!!!

There was more! I went out for a brief stroll after a while as it got a bit tiring to listen to!

In the end it was a lovely meal, everything worked out fine, and husband and m-in-law parted best of friends.

Does everybody else experience domestic harmony in the kitchen or is it just us who have a battle of egos?!

Great thing about the .org - I can 'get it all out' just by typing!!

karia
22-Jul-07, 19:48
Hi Helen,

Apart from the odd mis-directed elbow O.H and I move like swan lake in our beautifully choreographed kitchen routine!:roll::lol:

karia

helenwyler
22-Jul-07, 20:04
'Swan Lake' - just as I'd have imagined you, karia, gliding alongside your OH with graceful confidence towards culinary perfection:)!!

More like Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture with us, tho results are usually pretty edible!

Ricco
22-Jul-07, 22:23
I wish - the only time I get Sunday roast is when I visit my sister-in-law. It'll be soup or salad as usual. Actually, it was a BBQ burger and salad at the pub this week.

DarkAngel
22-Jul-07, 22:39
Poor wifie, hope you're feeling better now.....Which reminds me...I ALWAYS have mashed potato when feeling .......poorly .....!!!!;)

Oh No...I couldnt stomach mashed pots!! lol!!

mccaugm
22-Jul-07, 22:43
Almost always go to my mother-in-laws...Veggie grill 4 me, beef for the omnivores, green veggies, roast tatties, boiled tatties, gravy, yorkies and a yummy pudding which I usually provide. We have cream with pudding which my youngest calls "Granny Milk" because he almost never gets it when he is at home....:Razz

helenwyler
22-Jul-07, 22:49
Aw Ricco:~( - you know how to pull the strings of a (former) girl's heart!

Anytime you're down this way you can come and have a rollicking good roast with us:D.