PDA

View Full Version : Hempriggs House, Wick

poppett
21-Jul-07, 17:14
Saw a picture of Hempriggs House on the TV last night, but did not catch what the story was. Any orger able to help? Thanks

Doolally
21-Jul-07, 18:03
It's closing down as a residential home for the elderly and being sold off.

The report I read said that it had a dwindling number of referals due to there being a sigma within the local community about the home and living there.

johno
21-Jul-07, 19:57
but they are auctioning of the contents then selling the property for offers over £450,000 or something close to that figure.dont think the owner,s will end up in the poorhouse.

Moira
21-Jul-07, 21:26
Here's the link to the story in the "online Groat" :-
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/2650/Closure-hit_care_home_'never_had_support_of_local_authorit y'.html

anneoctober
21-Jul-07, 22:39
What has happened to the residents ?

Moira
21-Jul-07, 22:51
anneoctober - the "real" Groat says the "remaining 7 residents moved to nursing homes in Wick".

I'm sure the move would have been very traumatic for them but I'm equally sure they are in safe hands now.

bluelady
22-Jul-07, 00:18
It's closing down as a residential home for the elderly and being sold off.

The report I read said that it had a dwindling number of referals due to there being a sigma within the local community about the home and living there.

Read the report again Doolally, it wasnt because of the stigma of people living there, it was because of lack of referrals for residential care. The council has a certain amount of funding and this goes mostly into those requiring nursing care and not residential care. The council are aiming to keep people in their homes for as long as possible and are putting money into homecare and sheltered housing, they are also planning building their own homes in the highlands, so private providers have been outbid, -read the papers-so private homes are not getting referrals out of area so much. Given the fact that the majority of residents were in their eighties and nineties, a lot of these people had to go into nursing homes as Hempriggs did not provide nursing care and the powers that be said they must go, many against their wishes. Of the remaining 7 residents, they were all happy living there and did not want to move, but a business cannot thrive when the outgoings are more than the incomings, hence the descision to close. The so called stigma you are referring to is because of the publicity of one bad Manager, it dosnt mean that the home and its staff were bad per se. [disgust]

bluelady
22-Jul-07, 00:21
anneoctober - the "real" Groat says the "remaining 7 residents moved to nursing homes in Wick".

I'm sure the move would have been very traumatic for them but I'm equally sure they are in safe hands now.

they have always been in safe hands Moira, its only ignorant people that think otherwise, if they had not been, the care commission would have closed it down long ago[disgust]

bluelady
22-Jul-07, 00:23
but they are auctioning of the contents then selling the property for offers over £450,000 or something close to that figure.dont think the owner,s will end up in the poorhouse.

No but the staff proberly will :(

Moira
22-Jul-07, 00:54
they have always been in safe hands Moira, its only ignorant people that think otherwise, if they had not been, the care commission would have closed it down long ago[disgust]

I know what you're saying Bluelady - I'm well acquainted with the care of our nearest & dearest. I'm not ignorant either - I just posted the link to the original story!

bluelady
22-Jul-07, 01:00
I know what you're saying Bluelady - I'm well acquainted with the care of our nearest & dearest. I'm not ignorant either - I just posted the link to the original story!

But what do you mean they are in safe hands now ? to me it implies they were not before or am i being over sensitive?

changilass
22-Jul-07, 01:03
I just took Moira to mean they had been settled happily in their new homes. Thye must have been stressed at the thought of moving and are now safely elsewhere.

Moira
22-Jul-07, 01:15
But what do you mean they are in safe hands now ? to me it implies they were not before or am i being over sensitive?

No - not at all bluelady. I'm quite sure they were in safe hands before too

poppett
22-Jul-07, 17:03
Thank you for the link and comments.

Hempriggs House is in a wonderful setting and I have often visited residents there some years ago and found the staff to be friendly and caring.

Moving at any time in ones life is a trauma, it must have been awful for the folk who had chosen to go there to end their days having to move again. Wherever they are now I hope they will settle into their new surroundings.

bluelady
22-Jul-07, 21:58
No - not at all bluelady. I'm quite sure they were in safe hands before too
i apologise, it must just be the way i interpreted it, tired and grouchy at e time :)