PDA

View Full Version : why cant she use the toilet?

emszxr
20-Jul-07, 17:51
i was in my local coop this afternoon and did my weeks shopping, and just before i got to check out my 2 year old asked for the toilet. i asked if she could use the staff toilet and was told no. i sais it was for my young child but still no. i was absolutely shocked that they wouldnt let my 2 year old use the toilet. she not long really toilet trained and anyone with young kids will know that when they need to go they need to go.
so is it really any wonder why i choose to go all the way to wick or inverness for my shopping.
i could see the point if it was an adult but we are talking a 2 year old.

corgiman
20-Jul-07, 17:57
I think it has something to do with insurance, sad but true:roll:

Ash
20-Jul-07, 18:05
my wee one has used the toilet in the thurso coop quite alot, they have been ok about it,also when in lidl they are ok about her using the toilet but there isnt actually any toilets in town centre since town hall has been closed which is very annoying.

changilass
20-Jul-07, 18:06
There are toilets across from bridgend and also in Somerfields, talk with your feet and shop elsewhere, thats what we do.

emszxr
20-Jul-07, 18:08
I think it has something to do with insurance, sad but true:roll:

ok, but really how can you not let a 2 year old go to the toilet when they need, they rather she wet herself and the shop floor. i bet you if it was a member of staff's family or friend it be a different story.
i have asked in shops before and no problem. carpetwise in wick just a few weeks ago, had to bypass loads of carpets but no problem. the guy was lovely.

emszxr
20-Jul-07, 18:10
my local coop is brora changilass

changilass
20-Jul-07, 18:18
There are toilets in Brora just round the corner.

Jeemag_USA
20-Jul-07, 18:20
All large stores should have public toilets, at least bathrooms for the handicap, to be honest it should be law, I am pretty sure there is legislation for it in some states here. How difficult can it be for these places to figure in a small bathroom when they are making the buildings??

Ash
20-Jul-07, 18:21

i think her point is that if uve got a two year old just potty trained who needs to pee then she is gonna pee, there is no reason why she cant use toilets, my wee one used toilets in superdrug and they guy said yes just aslong as i knew if she or me fell on way to toilet its not their fault

emszxr
20-Jul-07, 18:33

have you seen the toilets. thats where i did have to go, and hold her to hover above toilet. they are disgusting toilets. my point is why she cant of used the coop toilet and as ash says with young ones when they need to go sometimes they dont give you a lot of warning when they need.

2051donna
20-Jul-07, 18:35
Woolies wont let u use toilets either.. I was livid! Regardless if theres toilets round the corner when a toddler needs to go they need to go! I asked in woolies they says no.. So i says well if he pees on your floor you will need to clean it up! Grrr

Ash
20-Jul-07, 18:47
its horrible having take ur child to a dirty toilet,theres plenty of them in caithness and its even worse when your child refuses to use it because its dirty

emszxr
20-Jul-07, 18:53
i worked in a national store in inverness and it was never a question, we let the customers use the toilets. they were in the store room as well. i just dont see why it should be a problem, its a natural bodily function. what do people think you should do, turn a 2 year old off for 5 mins or longer til you find another toilet.
it used to really annoy me when i used to be a van driver as well, and especially in the winter when most of public toilets are locked.

crashbandicoot1979
20-Jul-07, 21:12
my wee one has used the toilet in the thurso coop quite alot, they have been ok about it,also when in lidl they are ok about her using the toilet but there isnt actually any toilets in town centre since town hall has been closed which is very annoying.

Ash, if you're in the town centre on a weekday and your wee girl needs the toilet, just go into the council offices, they will let you use theirs.

Ash
20-Jul-07, 21:31
Ash, if you're in the town centre on a weekday and your wee girl needs the toilet, just go into the council offices, they will let you use theirs.

hey thanks for that:D

jinglejangle
20-Jul-07, 21:55

i have 2 small children and one needed the toilet but when i went into the council offices they said that the public wasn't allowed to use them and i should go to the nearest one at bridgend! so i wouldn't rely on getting to use the council offices toilets

DarkAngel
20-Jul-07, 22:00
Gosh i never knew bout the insurance thing

Kenn
20-Jul-07, 22:40
It's quite simple, a business has to have insurance to cover accidents to both it's staff and customers, however washroom facilities are not included for general public use unless you pay a seperate premium which is quite costly and also there should be an attendant so most do not provide toilet facilites for non staff especially small businesses.

Mr P Cannop
20-Jul-07, 22:42
try the cafes or the red cross shop

mccaugm
20-Jul-07, 23:07
[evil]
i have 2 small children and one needed the toilet but when i went into the council offices they said that the public wasn't allowed to use them and i should go to the nearest one at bridgend! so i wouldn't rely on getting to use the council offices toilets

As far as I was aware, small children and pregnant women are entitled to use toilets in shops if they so wish.
I have never been told no when I asked shop staff if my child/I (when pregnant) could use the facilities. I think this is an horrendous situation. Like someone else said if it was a family member would the situation change???

changilass
20-Jul-07, 23:11
Of course the situation would change if it was a family member, the insurance wouldnt be an issue and there would be full trust that no damage would be done

oldmarine
21-Jul-07, 03:19
There are toilets across from bridgend and also in Somerfields, talk with your feet and shop elsewhere, thats what we do.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Lolabelle
21-Jul-07, 05:10
It is pretty rude to not allow a child to use a tiolet, especially a toddler. [evil]

carlominno
21-Jul-07, 09:58
I found that in the Coop in Thurso it depends who you ask and which manager is on at the time!
Thankfully my girls are older now and can wait until we get to another toilet but public toilets are few and far between.
Last week though we used the ones at Thurso Harbour for the first time and they were bright and clean so if you have time to get there with your little ones I would recommend them.

DarkAngel
21-Jul-07, 12:36
It is pretty rude to not allow a child to use a tiolet, especially a toddler. [evil]

100% Agree...

BRIE
21-Jul-07, 12:44
I thought it was an old written law in scotland that anyone could use someones toilet??? or is someone pulling my leg!!:confused

karia
21-Jul-07, 14:05
Hi Folks,

There is an arcane but rather wonderful law which states that a pregnant woman can pee wherever she likes, including in a policeman's helmet which he must provide, if so requested.:eek:

karia

brandy
21-Jul-07, 15:03
omg just thinking about it!!! next time im preg. gonna find me a policeman!

marlyn
21-Jul-07, 15:06
toilet training is a hard job at the best of times, and not being able to take your toddler to toilets when you are out and about is just awful, they just can not hold on - I am putting of training my 2 year old for a while partly for this reason, going to the shops will be a nightmare for a wee while. I recall many times having to take my oldest round the back of Nobles flower shop and hovering her over a drain!

It is the principal of it too, especially in the co-op if you have just bought a weeks shopping, what would the health and safety issue be if your child did pee on the floor - slippery surface for a start.

karia
21-Jul-07, 15:09
omg just thinking about it!!! next time im preg. gonna find me a policeman!

Hi Brandy,

Somehow I thought you'd like that one! :lol:

karia

brandy
21-Jul-07, 16:30
loved it *Grins*
and im just cheeky enough to ask as well!!!
*giggles* will have to tell my mum about that one will give her a good laugh!

changilass
21-Jul-07, 16:37
We manage shopping fine, we take him to the loo as soon as we get in the store and again just before we leave it works fine.

I think there is a big difference between being potty trained and toilet trained, when toilet trained they have the ability to hold on for 5-15 mins.

Ash
21-Jul-07, 16:40
my wee girl is toilet trained but i still wouldnt expect her to wait 15mins to wait if you need to go you need to go!

and i would never tell her to use toilets in somerfield as their disgusting!!!

changilass
21-Jul-07, 16:49
If public toilets either in store or not are disgusting it is due to the folks that use them, why would anywhere that just has staff toilets want them left in the same state, if everyone took more care maybe folks would be more willing to allow folks to use them.

Ash
21-Jul-07, 16:51
yes its the people who use them but somerfield toilets say it get cleaned every hour! oh god thats complete lies, regardless of who messes them up they are still meant to be cleaned

poppett
21-Jul-07, 17:12
At Homebase in Wick yesterday and their usually clean toilets were sadly lacking in toilet paper. Luckily I never travel without tissues and was able to help out a few folk caught with none. How difficult is it to check on such a simple thing? In Edinburgh Homebase have closed their public loos which is most annoying when travelling a distance.

Shopping centres should be forced to have toilets as part of planning consent, especially the ones on the outskirts of town.

Tesco in Wick is really annoying, at the petrol station the loos are behind a locked door with "Staff only" on the door, yet according to head office the petrol station have public toilets. We are so used to buying fuel on the road and getting the loo at the same time I was astounded when told I could not use the facilities. The petrol was already in the car or I would have gone elsewhere for that too! It put me off even going to the main store and I was an avid Tesco shopper in a past life.

Ash
21-Jul-07, 17:23
i agree with you, i dont think some people are getting this thread, if i need the loo i hate having to wait as if you need to go you need to go, so will be worse for a child, the toilets at bridgend close at like 6 o'clock which is awful if your out a walk later on in the evening

j4bberw0ck
21-Jul-07, 21:27
i was absolutely shocked that they wouldnt let my 2 year old use the toilet. she not long really toilet trained and anyone with young kids will know that when they need to go they need to go.

You should have just sat her on the conveyor belt and started counting, slowly and out loud..... one...........two..........three.............

See how far you got before they gave in. :lol:

johno
21-Jul-07, 21:43
dont see why they cant bend the rules a bit for a tot, cant see why a 2 year old taking a leek is going to need to be insured anyway. if insurance was the prob why doe,s it not apply to public loos or train or bus station or airports. all seems a bit petty to me. :roll:
ps doe,snt tesco have a public loo, know for a fact the inv one has.
getting to the state where u go up to the counter , hey can i take out a ins policy for my child she/he needs the loo. rediculious.

marlyn
21-Jul-07, 22:03
"I think there is a big difference between being potty trained and toilet trained, when toilet trained they have the ability to hold on for 5-15 mins."

I have to say I can't see any difference between the potty and the toilet to a 2 yr old, in my house potty training doesn't happen - we went straight to toilet training, so I certainly wouldn't expect my 2 yr old daughter to be able to hold on any longer, its a struggle to get the 5 yr old to understand that she has to ask before she needs desperately.

changilass
21-Jul-07, 22:10
We have a 3 yr old whose speech isnt the best but he understands that he has to wait and manages it no problem.

brandy
21-Jul-07, 22:39
well my 4 year old is toilet trained and when he has to go he has to go.
we had an accident at the park the other day. addmitedly it was my fault as i forgot to ask for everyone to go to the toilet before we left. and their being 5 kids between the ages of 7 and 2.. it was a bit excitable!
so off to the park we go sam comes running up.. mummy im wet!!
i tried to get him to the edge of the park so he could pee but alas it was to late.. so one soggy little boy and i walked home to change.
poor thing he was absolutley humilliated!!
so another thing you should think about is the embarassment to the child.
they feel awful when they have accidents!
i have felt like saying to people that wont let a child use the toilet.. why dont you stand their and pee yourself and see how you feel!!!
im sorry but small children can not hold it.. and thats a medical fact. their bladders are not mature and fully developed until they are like 6 years old.

marlyn
22-Jul-07, 12:25
You are lucky Changilass, my 5 year is old very sharp and quick but still has a problem with going to the toilet before she is bursting.

BRIE
22-Jul-07, 12:33
my doctor told me never to make my child wait for the toilet as it can damage the kidneys:confused

Ash
22-Jul-07, 12:38
there shouldnt be a problem in using toilets, my little girl is toilet trained and can hold on for 5mins but even then as brie said its not good for children or adults

mccaugm
22-Jul-07, 22:57
Hi Folks,

There is an arcane but rather wonderful law which states that a pregnant woman can pee wherever she likes, including in a policeman's helmet which he must provide, if so requested.:eek:

karia

Gross..but have heard that before somewhere...

katarina
24-Jul-07, 04:37
i was in my local coop this afternoon and did my weeks shopping, and just before i got to check out my 2 year old asked for the toilet. i asked if she could use the staff toilet and was told no. i sais it was for my young child but still no. i was absolutely shocked that they wouldnt let my 2 year old use the toilet. she not long really toilet trained and anyone with young kids will know that when they need to go they need to go.
so is it really any wonder why i choose to go all the way to wick or inverness for my shopping.
i could see the point if it was an adult but we are talking a 2 year old.

My daughter is 21 now, but when she was wee she used the co-op in wick toilet often. I work in a charity shop and we are told not to allow the public to use the toilet as we are not insured if they fall. H & S going a step too far?

j4bberw0ck
24-Jul-07, 20:06
H & S going a step too far?

No, insurance companies learning the hard way that grateful people rarely miss a chance to sue if they injure themselves through stupidity or accident.

By the way, all this stuff about laws obliging people / shops / organisations to make their toilets available to pregnant women and toddlers is rubbish. Even in this over-regulated, over-controlled, "bansturbator" country we live in, people's toilets are still regarded as their own.

Mercifully.

oldmarine
25-Jul-07, 00:16
katarina & j4bberwock are both correct in what they submit. katarina by way of her experience and from what she has been told by her employer.

j4bberwock tells it the way it is by suit-happy people who won't hesitate to go after the money when they see the chance.