PDA

View Full Version : Smoking at the sideshows?

rfr10
19-Jul-07, 21:27
Is it just me or does the smoking ban not apply to all public areas including outside? I was shocked tonight to see that on one of the rides for the very young people, the young person in charge of it was standing there smoking right beside the children who were on it. There were also many other older people (not even 16 years old) who thought it would be alright to actually smoke when they were on the rides.

Totally irresponsible if you ask me.

MadPict
19-Jul-07, 21:32
It doesn't apply outside - not yet anyway....

Does the ban extend to outdoors? Have heard that playgrounds and parks may be affected.

Smoking is prohibited by law only in wholly or substantially enclosed public places. Open air playgrounds and parks will therefore not be affected. Employers, including local authorities and the NHS can, however, determine whether their smoke-free policies extend to external areas, but they will not be subject to the law. We know, for example, that second hand smoke is particularly harmful to the health of children and young people, so local authorities may wish to consider efforts which not only protect the health of children, but help to denormalise smoking and stop young people from taking up smoking in the first place.

http://www.clearingtheairscotland.com/faqs/qanda.html#outdoors

DarkAngel
19-Jul-07, 21:34
No smoking outside is still legal im afraid...I hate smoking..There is nothing worse than seeing a mother pushing her pram with a fag hanging out her lip..Its just wrong!

rfr10
19-Jul-07, 21:35
It doesn't apply outside - not yet anyway....

Hrm... are you sure? I'm sure I heard that you had to be a certain distance away from public spaces before you were allowed to smoke. If you're in public, you shouldn't be allowed to smoke. Even though, smoking on a childrens ride, right beside them, that's just disgusting.

MadPict
19-Jul-07, 21:38
Hrm, yes I'm sure......

DarkAngel
19-Jul-07, 22:09
Yes smoking around children is disgusting!!

theone
19-Jul-07, 22:16
Hrm... are you sure? I'm sure I heard that you had to be a certain distance away from public spaces before you were allowed to smoke. If you're in public, you shouldn't be allowed to smoke. Even though, smoking on a childrens ride, right beside them, that's just disgusting.

Yip, outside the pub on the public footpath is where you've got to smoke.

Ash
19-Jul-07, 22:25
i hate it, its disgusting why should other people and their children have to inhale peoples awful habits![disgust]

Tugmistress
19-Jul-07, 22:59
i hate it, its disgusting why should other people and their children have to inhale peoples awful habits![disgust]

Because not all of us are perfect I'm afraid, and until they make smoking illegal people that have faults like me will still be allowed to do such disgusting things :roll:

Serenity
19-Jul-07, 23:13
Because not all of us are perfect I'm afraid, and until they make smoking illegal people that have faults like me will still be allowed to do such disgusting things :roll:

No-one said you shouldn't be allowed to smoke. But have some common courtesy and smoke away from other people. Why should your bad habits affect other's health?
Sorry I am not having a go at you and I am sure you do that already but that is what this post was about, not whether smoking should be banned all together.
And to the OP, no its not illegal [evil]

EDDIE
19-Jul-07, 23:15
What a right nanny state the uk is turning into everyone keeps moaning about smoking what next are we going to ban all fatty food and sweets next because its bad for your health or ban alcohol because its bad for you.
Or whats the lastest idea to raise the driving age to 18 and they cant have there mates in the passengers seat at night what is the world comming to.

Serenity
19-Jul-07, 23:19
What a right nanny state the uk is turning into everyone keeps moaning about smoking what next are we going to ban all fatty food and sweets next because its bad for your health or ban alcohol because its bad for you.
Or whats the lastest idea to raise the driving age to 18 and they cant have there mates in the passengers seat at night what is the world comming to.

I agree that the nanny state we are turning into needs to be stopped. We should leave most things to individual responsibility. And I think people should be allowed to smoke but at the same time people should be allowed to go about their daily lives without having to put up with passive smoking.

EDDIE
19-Jul-07, 23:25
Before the smoking ban came in we used to smoke in the canteen until one anti smoker complained about it he didnt want to have his tea with people smoking around him so thanks to that idiot smoking was band in the canteen so what happened everyone went into the workshop and had ther tea there so they could smoke and after 1 day of everyone doing that the idiot got lonely having his tea by himself so the next day the idiot started haveing his tea in the workshop with all the smokers.So much for him wanting to have his tea in a smoke free enviroment as a result of his actions the canteen are was never used after that

Rampant Rabbit
19-Jul-07, 23:33
Get A Grip Ever Rapsons Buses They Sit Outside The Schools With A Lot More Fumes Than A Fag Puts Out And Its The Same Old Story Go And See Your Mp Why Dont The Ban Them All As They Know What They Harm Cause They Make To Much On Taxes So It Them Thats Too Faced

paris
20-Jul-07, 08:09
Its all very hypocritical of the government to ban smoking in public places when their own private room in the houses of commons hasn't had a ban put on that and yes they all smoke in there. One rule for one and a different rule for old Joe blogs ! jan x[evil]

candyfloss
20-Jul-07, 08:46
Is it just me or does the smoking ban not apply to all public areas including outside? I was shocked tonight to see that on one of the rides for the very young people, the young person in charge of it was standing there smoking right beside the children who were on it. There were also many other older people (not even 16 years old) who thought it would be alright to actually smoke when they were on the rides.

Totally irresponsible if you ask me.
One of my kids were on about this when they came home from the sideshows last night, she was sitting on a ride right beside a kid who was smoking and the smoke was going right in her face, i don't think she was too chuffed.
I don't think we can do much about smoking outside but they should'nt be aloud to smoke on the rides.[disgust]

badger
21-Jul-07, 10:49
If people are so irresponsible they don't care what damage they do to others or how much they cost the NHS (which we all have to pay for), then I'm afraid we do need a nanny state. Smoking kills and that affects not just the smoker but their families. Obesity - same. Alcohol in excess - same plus violence and general bad behaviour so affecting an even wider number of people. Young drivers kill themselves and their friends, leaving their families devastated. We all have to pay one way or another. How many times have people with a serious illness had to wait their turn in hospital because A&E, beds etc. are full with irresponsible idiots?

Ash
21-Jul-07, 10:55
this irrates me, my wee girl was 12 weeks premature, she had a rough time, but she got through it and is 3 now, im not going to let selfish people ruin my childs health just because they dont care about their own bodies!!

sam
21-Jul-07, 11:55
No smoking outside is still legal im afraid...I hate smoking..There is nothing worse than seeing a mother pushing her pram with a fag hanging out her lip..Its just wrong!

there is lol, a mother holding her baby in her arms whilst smoking is far worse than when pushing the pram although both are disgusting [disgust]

bluelady
21-Jul-07, 12:08
The smoking ban does not apply outdoors as its not an wholley or substansly closed area. - a bus shelter is classed as sheltered. The owners of the fair however should ensure that their staff are showing good protocol and adhereing to Health and safety requlations(maybe he is contraveneing the health and safety at work act being as he is at work and putting others at risk !) after all it is a workplace is it not? Not only that as others have said, it puts them off letting their children ride on it, hence a downtake in profit. I wonder what his employer would say about that. It is also to do with image, a fairground is supposed to be for a family fun day out, being choked by someones elses smoke and having to pay for that privalige is not.
[disgust]

DarkAngel
21-Jul-07, 12:32
a mother holding her baby in her arms whilst smoking is far worse than when pushing the pram although both are disgusting [disgust]

Thankfully i havent seen much of that!! People are so selfish huh!!![disgust]

floyed
21-Jul-07, 15:20
I don't think you should be allowed to smoke on the rides, i would think it's quite dangerous.

orkneylass
21-Jul-07, 19:01
Before the smoking ban came in we used to smoke in the canteen until one anti smoker complained about it he didnt want to have his tea with people smoking around him so thanks to that idiot smoking was band in the canteen so what happened everyone went into the workshop and had ther tea there so they could smoke and after 1 day of everyone doing that the idiot got lonely having his tea by himself so the next day the idiot started haveing his tea in the workshop with all the smokers.So much for him wanting to have his tea in a smoke free enviroment as a result of his actions the canteen are was never used after that

Do you have any concept of why a person may wish to spend a tea break not surrounded by tobacco smoke, of why the ban was introduced????? There must be an awful lot of us idiots around, stupid enough to think that smokers should have the decency to smoke outdoors......

EDDIE
21-Jul-07, 23:41
Do you have any concept of why a person may wish to spend a tea break not surrounded by tobacco smoke, of why the ban was introduced????? There must be an awful lot of us idiots around, stupid enough to think that smokers should have the decency to smoke outdoors......
My point was he moaned as much about smoking in the canteen room he got his wish and after a day he went to sit with the smokers for his tea double standards.