PDA

View Full Version : continental market

baggie boy
18-Jul-07, 19:13
does anyone know when the continental market is coming to wick?

Serenity
18-Jul-07, 19:17
The Wick one was cancelled but they are coming to Thurso on 2nd-5th August.

Ash
18-Jul-07, 19:17
was in paper last week that it was cancelled but is still coming to thurso

karia
18-Jul-07, 19:28
Hi Guys,

I am so envious!

Our continental market happens in June, so all of my supplies of good French cheese and sausages are now gone until next year.:(

Thank goodness for Farmer's markets in the meantime!:D

Enjoy the wonderful smells and tastes!

Karia

Serenity
18-Jul-07, 19:36
I will enjoy it. I will probably be there most days seeing as it is in Thurso :) I normally only make it through to Wick one day.
Love the smells, love the different stalls and love the pancakes!

karia
18-Jul-07, 19:47
Hi again,

Serenity, if you haven't already sampled it, you must try the 'tartiflette'.;)

wonderful combo of potato, cheese, cream & ham,..though vegi option usually available.

I am dairy intolerant but have watched the look on my loved ones faces as they consume,...I know it's good!:roll:

Karia

brew
19-Jul-07, 13:03
There is always a guy there selling fresh bread!!! If they have been touring Scotland how is it fresh? Do they have a deal with the hovis lorry driver to deliver fresh bread everyday or does he have a oven in the back of his van.

Bill Fernie
19-Jul-07, 16:47
There is always a guy there selling fresh bread!!! If they have been touring Scotland how is it fresh? Do they have a deal with the hovis lorry driver to deliver fresh bread everyday or does he have a oven in the back of his van.

You got it in one. They carry a portable oven carried in a trailer and bake fresh each day as far as I can tell. The one I saw looked as if it was made exactly for the purpose.

scorrie
19-Jul-07, 21:04
You got it in one. They carry a portable oven carried in a trailer and bake fresh each day as far as I can tell. The one I saw looked as if it was made exactly for the purpose.

I am sure that the Foreign muck cannot hold a candle to the Tesco Bakery. I was in Tesco for my Mother-in-Law on 18th of July and the "best" loaf I could find was Best Before...... erm 18th July!! Not even a penny off the price. I noticed an awful lot of other items that were very near date.

Use your loaf shoppers!!

karia
19-Jul-07, 21:30
Hi Scorrie,

Much was made of an incident where a french baker at one such market, ran out of bread and was seen in M&S buying up the 'batons' & 'french sticks',...he was challenged by a local french teacher and responded that ' He didn't want to disappoint!'.

At least the bread was fresh,..and on investigation it was discovered, as Bill reported that, yes they do, normally, bake their own bread here.

My OH was an environmental health officer in a previous life and we have many friends still working in that field, some with responsibility for outdoor markets.

I'm happy about their safety,..and generally, authenticity!:)

karia