PDA

View Full Version : Outside homes urgently required for cats!

Liz
18-Jul-07, 18:36
Someone has contacted the Cats Protection helpline re about 10 feral cats whose 'owner' died a couple of years ago. Nothing was done about it at the time with the result that they have bred and now ended up with this number of cats!:(

There is a tame one and some kittens which we hope to catch and rehome but we will need outside homes for the others.

So if any kind person can offer even a few of them somewhere safe to stay then please pm me.

The house is on the market for sale so we will need to act quickly!

Thanks!

porshiepoo
18-Jul-07, 18:42
I'd love to Liz. We certainly have the room but I think my other cats have already proven that they're not going to be kind hosts! :(

I hope they all find suitable homes soon.

Liz
18-Jul-07, 19:09
I'd love to Liz. We certainly have the room but I think my other cats have already proven that they're not going to be kind hosts! :(

I hope they all find suitable homes soon.

We could give you all ten and they could gang up on them!!!!:lol:

Seriously though I know you would if you were able to so thanks!

porshiepoo
18-Jul-07, 19:16
Hahahaha :lol: That's a thought!

We have feral cats very close to here and they're often seen chasing ours off. The odd time all of ours have actually ganged up together and chased them away and even the yorkshire terrier has been heard to be chasing something away, and as he's very good with our cats we can only assume it's the wild ones.

Liz
21-Jul-07, 13:12
We have managed to remove one tame cat and her kittens.
Also one cat had such a badly damaged leg that he had to be put to sleep.:(

We really need to get 'homes' for the rest as, although we will be neutering them and putting them back, there will be no one to feed them.

Even if someone can take one or two it would be a great help.

jsherris
02-Aug-07, 11:21
:roll:
Oh dear.... I am so glad this is an 'old' post & we haven't moved up there yet, else I'd be taking the lot of them!

Liz
02-Aug-07, 11:50
:roll:
Oh dear.... I am so glad this is an 'old' post & we haven't moved up there yet, else I'd be taking the lot of them!

Cats still need homes! We have had to delay trapping them until week beginning 20th August.
When do you come up to Caithness? You can gladly have them all!!!:lol:

jsherris
02-Aug-07, 13:12
Cats still need homes! We have had to delay trapping them until week beginning 20th August.
When do you come up to Caithness? You can gladly have them all!!!

Well, Liz - we move as soon as we possibly can - we're after a super quick sale on our house & are prepared to drop the price by as much as 20K - then as long as we can find somewhere to rent with storage & gardens, etc - detached would be nice, up to £600/£650 a month, we shall be there on moving day! (I actually saw a couple at John O'Groats???)
If all goes well, I'd say 6 to 8 weeks - altho I SO wish it can happen sooner!

Rest assured that as soon as I have the PC up & running & most of our things settled, I shall most certainly shout for you!
Erm.... you haven't got any Basset doggies that need new homes have you? Our Burtie Basset might like a new friend.............

Oh, and don't tell Andy.......:eek:
he might not appreciate my animal plans......:lol:

Liz
02-Aug-07, 14:57
Hi Julie

Really hope you find a place soon and manage to get your place sold. I can imagine that now you have made up your mind you just want to go!!
Would be nice to come now as the sun is shining at last!! Places always look better in the sunshine!
John 0'Groats would be lovely. Depends how far away you want to be from amenities.

Re the cats, I am a volunteer with the local Cats Protection, and am always looking for homes for feral and pet cats so, once you move, give me a shout.

Re a Basset friend for Burtie I haven't heard of any needing homes but you could try the SSPCA at Balmore. Will get their no for you if you want?

I promise not to tell Andy about your plans for a menagerie!!!!!:lol::lol:

jsherris
02-Aug-07, 21:08
Ooohhh... Liz!
No, please don't get any phone numbers for me.... well, not yet anyway!! [lol]

I'm just a sucker when it comes to animals & we live in a large townhouse at the minute, with a teeny tiny yard (minutes from the beach tho) but just imagine what havoc I can wreak with a garden & a bit of space..... oh, boggling mind time!

Thanks Liz - and thanks for being so welcoming too :D

Liz
02-Aug-07, 22:17
Ok Julie, I promise not too tempt you too much!!!:lol:

I'm like you and would have loads of animals if money and space allowed!

You sound really lovely and it will be nice to have you, and Andy, join us all in bonnie Caithness! Not so bonnie tonight as it is peeing at the rain! Then when it stops we get the midges.
Have you been warned about them?
They are beasties you would not want!!!!!

Good luck!!!!

jsherris
03-Aug-07, 23:06
You sound really lovely and it will be nice to have you, and Andy, join us all in bonnie Caithness! Not so bonnie tonight as it is peeing at the rain! Then when it stops we get the midges.
Have you been warned about them?
They are beasties you would not want!!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Aaah.... I've read that white vinegar works wonders at staving them off - I've just recently started to go mega-green & gone back to the 'old' ways of cleaning, using borax, bicarb, soda crystals & white vinegar, just like my old nan - absolutely wonderful & SO much cheaper!
A bottle of magic spray liquid did nothing to stop one of our cats from marking on the top floor landing - cost of about £9... but an 89p bottle of white vinegar did the job within one day!
I've since started using it to spray places like the kitchen work tops, the computer table, anywhere I don't want the cats sitting, & it's fantastic - the vinegar odour disappears within minutes.
Apparently, a few drops to your bath water with your usual bath foam will do the trick..... fingers crossed! [smirk]
So, as long as Caithness stocks the old fashioned things (& I hope they do!) I reckon it'll be fine...... mebbe..... hahaha!!

Liz
04-Aug-07, 12:54
Good for you!
I only use environmentally and cruelty free cleaners etc as well but afraid I buy mine.
I did try vinegar but the 'fumes' affected my asthma.

I have been told that Tea Tree Oil is good for keeping midges at bay so will try it next time the little blighters are biting!

Liz
04-Aug-07, 18:05
Julie the property where the cats are, which we are trapping an neutering, is actually up for sale. The owner died a couple of years ago.
It is on the outskirts of Wick so has the advantage of being near to the amenities but still has a 'country feel'.

Don't know whether you would be interested?

I will have a look to see whether it is on the solicitor's website.

:D

jsherris
04-Aug-07, 20:24
Julie the property where the cats are, which we are trapping an neutering, is actually up for sale. The owner died a couple of years ago.
It is on the outskirts of Wick so has the advantage of being near to the amenities but still has a 'country feel'.

Don't know whether you would be interested?

I will have a look to see whether it is on the solicitor's website.

:D

Liz - I've PM'd you....
Julie