PDA

View Full Version : Electricity Supply To A New Build

BRIE
18-Jul-07, 16:19
just wondering if anyone else has done a new built recently & were shocked at the price of getting an electricity supply!
just got a price & its ridiculous & there doesnt seem to be a thing you can do its either pay it or do without[evil]

henry20
18-Jul-07, 17:04
About 5 years ago I got gas central heating put into my house and was shocked how much it cost as I only had to connect to a supply maximum of 3m away!! It was done in no time at all (less than a day as I never saw them) and cost me well over £300 (I can't remember exactly, but I had 2 quotes and the gas provider was dearest of the 2 and the cheaper quote which I accepted got the gas provider to do the work !!??)

I dread to think how much your electricity connection would be as I imagine its a more time consuming task!

BRIE
18-Jul-07, 17:08
just short of £5000 & the supply is 80 metre away![evil]

henry20
18-Jul-07, 17:11
:eek: Thats a price and a half - and they will still take the eyes out of you for the electricity afterwards.

I knew my gas connection would be insignificant to your quote, but I didn't imagine that much. I'd have guessed half that.

I guess they can charge what they want ................. time for solar power and a little sun dance ?????? :eek:

BRIE
18-Jul-07, 17:18
I did negotiate it was £7000 to start with! yes it seems new rules are they can charge whatever they like & there not a think you can do!
my parting words to them were " I better go an buy a genny it will be cheaper!":lol:

Alice in Blunderland
18-Jul-07, 18:53
We are currently building and yes the electricity supply was a shocker.

The distance was a good deal more than 80 metres and I hope you are sitting down ..............it was just short of £16,000, luckily there are two houses to come off this but it was steep. We got the original quote down from over £22,000 and the sting in the tail was in the small print ......pay within the month or the price gets requoted.

We payed in March and the electic went in this week nice little earner :confused

Having said that from start to finish the job took less than a week and they were tidy.

badger
18-Jul-07, 19:29
How can they justify these costs? Does anyone know how they break it down or do they just think of a number and double it?

Alice in Blunderland
18-Jul-07, 20:29
How can they justify these costs? Does anyone know how they break it down or do they just think of a number and double it?
One things for sure the bulk of the money certainly isnt going to the guy dangling on the pole connecting up the wires.;)

BRIE
18-Jul-07, 20:59
i asked for a breakdown of costs which they werent to willing to give! & the majority is put down as labour & contractor (who they wouldnt say who it was)

ginajade
18-Jul-07, 21:11
Looks like if I ever do get my dream home built, it will be tin bath in front of the fire and candles. How can they justify those sorts of prices for what is nowadays a basic need?
Different if it was for a luxury but you pay enough for it after you are connected.
Who thinks we are in the wrong job? Good luck to you both Brie & Alice in blunderland. Let's hope this is the last hurdle for you both.

rainbow
18-Jul-07, 22:31
We paid £2700 and the electric lines ran 20M in front of our house. But electricity is an essential (mind you I am considering a mini windmill as it is blustery at our house), and as the Hydro have a monopoly then you are stuck with two choices - take it or leave it!

laguna2
18-Jul-07, 23:30
A friend of mine paid megabucks to have electricity connected ... a couple of years later someone built another house nearby, paid a fraction of the connection fee. Friend challenged electricity people ... and was told that the main connection was already there so the "new" people would pay less!

JimH
18-Jul-07, 23:51
Looking at another thread running at the moment - I should get a wind turbine!

davem
19-Jul-07, 00:58
I know that when this house got its supply the trench and cable was laid ready then rather less was paid to connect up but still much too much.

neepnipper
19-Jul-07, 08:52
Five years ago we paid about £3500, the pole is about 100m away and we had to pay for a new transformer, it's cheaper if there's already a transformer there to come off of, my husband got a mate with a digger to dig the trench and line it so that made it a bit cheaper.

If you have paid for a new transformer I think that 3 houses can come off it, when another house joins on to it you can claim back a bit, when someone else joined in to the one we had paid for we got back about £325 (mind you, it said £500.00 ish minus administration costs, some administration that was!), hydro are meant to contact you themselves about this rebate but they didn't with us, it was only when the owners of the house happened to mention it was quite good that we got a bit of money back that we found out! When I rang Hydro they said it had been overlooked, how convenient!

Ash
19-Jul-07, 09:39
I cannot believe how much it costs! think i will be staying where i am!

stevep
19-Jul-07, 20:10
Have you thought of going off grid? Might work out cheaper and no bills.