PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donation!!

DarkAngel
18-Jul-07, 15:37
Has anyone heard on the news about this?

People will become doners unless they OPT-OUT.

What do you think of this? Are you already on the list? Or not?

Personally i think its a good idea...It could save alot of young peoples lives!!

Just wondered what everyone elses view on this was?

BRIE
18-Jul-07, 15:50
i agree totally. im already on the register. I personally look at it as what good are my organs to me once im dead! & that when my time comes i could be saving someone elses loved ones lives:Razz

henry20
18-Jul-07, 15:54
Personally I think its a good idea, I wouldn't mind people using my organs after my day - if they'd be worth much. And its a bit doom and gloom going to sign up for it. Also, I would hope I lived to a decent age, so wouldn't rush to sign up, but I could get wiped out tomorrow and no-one would benefit. :confused

Thumper
18-Jul-07, 16:54
This is the best idea ever! I am already on the list and carry a card at all times but think of how many more lives will be saved by doing it this way!Most people don't mind donating organs but they just haven't got round to doing anything about it so hopefully this will be a good thing!Also how many loved ones are left wondering if the person they lost would have rathered donate but they said no because of they didn't know one way or the other?Takes a lot of the pressure of the ones left behind IMO x

johno
18-Jul-07, 17:24
i also agree, its easy enough to opt out if you wish.
i already have a doner card. after all whats the use of those organs to me after i,ve died. hopefully some one will have a chance of a life.

Murdina Bug
18-Jul-07, 17:36
I am totally in favour of organ donation and am on the register, however I do not agree with compulsory donation. It is only a proposal at this stage and I very much doubt that it will become law.

I know how heart breaking it must be to be on a waiting list or to watch someone you love die for lack of a donated organ but surely the problem lies with the lack of an effective procedure for requesting organs at present? A lot of people would not want their organs removed after death and to presume that you can take them unless they happen to have said not is just a step too far. How could you guarantee that your personal wishes would be respected? Would the list of opters out actually be consulted in the 'heat of the moment'?

changilass
18-Jul-07, 17:40
At the moment you wishes arn't always taken into consideration. Before I married I put my sister as my next of kin as I knew even though I had a card my father would have refused to let them go ahead.

If someone has strong view they will opt out, what I want to know is will family members still be able to go against your wishes with the new system.

porshiepoo
18-Jul-07, 18:23
Giving is one thing but 'taking' is another.

I understand that anyone who wishes to will be able to 'opt out' but I still have a problem with this whole idea.
I personally don't think anyone has a right to make a law whereby your organs can be taken and re-used just because you didn't get around to 'opting out'.
I'd also be extremely concerned about how this 'opting out' is regulated.

emszxr
18-Jul-07, 18:53
will this if it does get the go ahead include everyone living in the uk. what about the religions, i am sure there is some, that dont agree to organ donation. will they have to opt out or will this organ donation compulsary unless opting out for white uk people.

mccaugm
18-Jul-07, 22:03
:DOpt out donation is a brilliant suggestion, how many lives will be saved if this goes ahead.
I carry a card and have made my wishes known to my family. Its not a nice thing to discuss but discuss it we must.

Fluff
18-Jul-07, 22:14
The thing that really annoys me is, if you were ill and needed blood/an organ etc, you would expect to be able to get it. yet so many people are like'nah i dont want to give blood/be on the donor registar, don't like the idea of it'!
hypocrites!!

moureen
18-Jul-07, 22:22
I have always thought that your organs should be taken if required after all when we die we do'nt need them any more.I just wish that my sons organs had been used when he died it would have given me so much comfort to know that he had helped some one to live and a little bit of Phill was still living to.

Camel Spider
18-Jul-07, 22:32
I have no problem with anyone getting my organs once I have shuffled off .. Liver might not be in top notch condition though .. ;)

I dont understand why people would want to be buried or cremated with organs that could save a life .. seems to me the same as standing watching someone suffocate and saying .. "Well I know the Heimlich but I am not going to use it" .. perhaps a trip to a transplant unit to see the preventable suffering that would be avoided if everyone carried cards might be in order to bring home the reality of their decision.

Jeemag_USA
18-Jul-07, 22:38
I too am of the opinion everyone shoudl be a donor unless you have a good reason. I alwsy have been a willing Donor, in the states you are asked when you get a State ID or a driving license and if you say yes they put a little love heart on your card. I will always have that heart on mine, already expressed wishes to my family to be cremated and there is no point burning something that could save someone elses life.

mccaugm
18-Jul-07, 22:52
I too am of the opinion everyone shoudl be a donor unless you have a good reason. I alwsy have been a willing Donor, in the states you are asked when you get a State ID or a driving license and if you say yes they put a little love heart on your card. I will always have that heart on mine, already expressed wishes to my family to be cremated and there is no point burning something that could save someone elses life.

Love the idea of the heart on the card...if we must have ID cards and I guess that will come, how about we he have a little heart on them. Alternatively we could put one on our passport etc...brilliant idea.

porshiepoo
18-Jul-07, 23:03
I don't have a problem with organ donation in itself, it's a society that has a right to 'take' organs that I have a problem with.

I myself don't have a problem donating any organs - although the thought of eyes makes me a bit queasy - but yet I still don't have a donor card, and yes, I'd obviously be most grateful for a donor should the need arise.
Perhaps some of us don't have enough up to date info on the process of donation and still have images of doctors not making as much effort in saving a life because 1 death could lead to 5 survivers? Silly, naiive way to look at it I know but there you have it.

At this point in time I stand alongside the way it is now, if you wish to donate you carry a card or you tell family members etc.
Perhaps I'm just being pig headed and stubborn because I don't like the idea that someone will be able to 'take' unless we opt out and maybe my opinion on that would change if I found myself needing a donor, but for now I'm still at that stubborn phase.

htwood
18-Jul-07, 23:37
I think the opt-out program is brill, most folks wouldnt mind donating but just never get around to doing anything about it. There's a terrible shortage of available organs. And anyone who has strong feelings can finally put themselves into motion, and opt out.
I'm an organ donor, have the wee pink heart on my driving license. My sis in law died of brain aneurism (sp?) in her early fifties, all other organs working fine, and my hubby is thankful that there are at least four persons around with new heart, new lungs, new eyes, even skin on a burn patient. What better legacy to leave behind than life itself?

PS porshipoo, what are you struggling with? The options remain the same; either you opt in or you opt out. It's just a different perspective, which hopefully will lead to more lives being saved. What's the current NHS wait list time for a new heart?

DarkAngel
19-Jul-07, 09:35
This will save more lives n give people a good future...Im all in favour of this Opt-Out scheme.

Most people are in favour anyway which is a good thing!

Even if you are a member of the Organ donation..Do they still have to get permission from the next of Kin..?

Suppose it would be easier and a bit of relief for the Next of kin as they would have know what your wishes were.

porshiepoo
19-Jul-07, 10:15
I think the opt-out program is brill, most folks wouldnt mind donating but just never get around to doing anything about it. There's a terrible shortage of available organs. And anyone who has strong feelings can finally put themselves into motion, and opt out.
I'm an organ donor, have the wee pink heart on my driving license. My sis in law died of brain aneurism (sp?) in her early fifties, all other organs working fine, and my hubby is thankful that there are at least four persons around with new heart, new lungs, new eyes, even skin on a burn patient. What better legacy to leave behind than life itself?

PS porshipoo, what are you struggling with? The options remain the same; either you opt in or you opt out. It's just a different perspective, which hopefully will lead to more lives being saved. What's the current NHS wait list time for a new heart?

I honestly don't know! Stupid as that sounds!
I think it's just mainly because I'm still getting used to the idea that maybe in the future someone can take my organs because I maybe didn't get around to opting out. Yes, I know I'll just have to make sure I opt out so theat should sort the issue but....... it just grates.
How's it going to work for babies and children? I'm guessing parents will just have to make sure that they opt out on their kids behalf? How's the whole thing going to be regulated so that there can be no taking when people claim to have 'opted out' but there's apparantly no record of it but it just so happens that the victims rare blood group saves a VIP's life????
Science fiction ideas I know but this world seems to be going along the realms of sci fi more and more these days.

If it was a 100% safe concept and all the grey areas are sorted out then I would actually be in favour of it but as the 'idea' stands at the moment - No way! I ain't going to jump in with 'me please, me please' without knowing the ins and outs and how it's going to be regulated first. Christ, we'll be being told we only need one kidney next and that we all have to 'donate' the other one!!!

sweetpea
19-Jul-07, 10:25
I've always had a donor card in my purse and I know that my family agreed to donation when 2 relatives died, one was on life support after an accident and the other was on life support for something else. I actually know a man who got some of my step dad's bits!! think it was corneas? I definately think it should become an integral part of our culture in this country to donate organs. I'm not so sure that all doctors ask as standard practice? My family have been told that they can take what they like if anythiing happens to me.

Wellies
19-Jul-07, 10:47
My 7 year old put if perfectly the other day. She told me that she wanted all her organs to be donated as all you need when you die is your sole. I was so proud of her. But then said not my eyes as how would i see where i was going.

DarkAngel
19-Jul-07, 16:58
My 7 year old put if perfectly the other day. She told me that she wanted all her organs to be donated as all you need when you die is your sole. I was so proud of her. But then said not my eyes as how would i see where i was going.

Aww...wow thats lovely..Id be well chuffed it was my little boy who said the same! Bless!

grumpyhippo
19-Jul-07, 19:31
I've been on the register for many years and so is the rest of my household (even the ones that have flown the nest). I do pity the poor that gets my liver though.........it would have to be described as fully tested.

This is a link if you want to register.

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.jsp

karia
19-Jul-07, 19:38
I've been on the register for many years and so is the rest of my household (even the ones that have flown the nest). I do pity the poor that gets my liver though.........it would have to be described as fully tested.

Hi grumpyhippo,

Me too! Just as well they can't sue you when you're dead!;)

Seriously, great thread, great post,..and so pleased to see that the trend is definitely in favour.

Let's make it more than a trend,..thanks for the link!

Karia

scotsboy
19-Jul-07, 19:40
Do you think those that choose to opt out of this proposal will be discriminated agianst if they ever need a transplant? Do you think they should be excluded?

DarkAngel
19-Jul-07, 21:17
Do you think those that choose to opt out of this proposal will be discriminated agianst if they ever need a transplant? Do you think they should be excluded?

Thats a good question...At the end of the day..Its not illegal to opt-out.. But personally i dont think anyone should be excluded, but why should some else organs save YOU if YOU dont opt in to save some one else!!!

cuddlepop
19-Jul-07, 21:35
Opt out i think is the way forward.
I.ve carried my own card for years and its only now with my present partner that my wishes will be carried out.Can the next of kin over rule your decision even if you haven't opted out?

Jill
19-Jul-07, 21:41
So glad to hear what a positive response this is getting. I have a mate whose husband is in end-stage heart failure and has been on the transplant list for two years. It's awful seeing what they are going through. This is a link to their blog http://http://www.waitingforthecall.blogspot.com/ (http://http//www.waitingforthecall.blogspot.com/)

Watch the youtube thing dated 5th July (about a third of the way down the page). I bet you will have tears in your eyes by the end. Sadly he is now back in hospital having suffered a fairly big stroke and things are not looking great for him :(

DarkAngel
19-Jul-07, 22:06
So glad to hear what a positive response this is getting. I have a mate whose husband is in end-stage heart failure and has been on the transplant list for two years. It's awful seeing what they are going through. This is a link to their blog http://http://www.waitingforthecall.blogspot.com/ (http://http//www.waitingforthecall.blogspot.com/)

Watch the youtube thing dated 5th July (about a third of the way down the page). I bet you will have tears in your eyes by the end. Sadly he is now back in hospital having suffered a fairly big stroke and things are not looking great for him :(

I started this thread as i wanted people opinions on this..Glad to see most folk has a positive attitude towards it!

Aww..Jill thats awful news about your mates husband...I really wish him all the best..

I couldnt get that link to work.. Sorry

Jill
19-Jul-07, 22:36
Sorry, am a bit hamfisted at links
http://www.waitingforthecall.blogspot.com/

That should work now!

DarkAngel
19-Jul-07, 23:00
Aww..Jill i just watched that YouTube video and im in floods of tears..He is so young and its just such a shame! It really hits home just how many people need Organ donation...

Im an organ doner have been since i was 18... I know im only in my 20's But i would love to know that my body was being recycled and used to benifit others in need..I mean i wont need them.

mama2
20-Jul-07, 17:37
Jill, I just watched that link and oh my god. That is one of the most moving clips I have ever seen and you were right I was crying watching it. I hope your friends husband gets the heart he needs soon and makes a full recovery so that he can enjoy a happy life with his family xx

I am an organ donor and have been since years, I'm sure I have something on register when I applied for my photo driving licence.

Ricco
20-Jul-07, 20:46
i agree totally. im already on the register. I personally look at it as what good are my organs to me once im dead! & that when my time comes i could be saving someone elses loved ones lives:Razz

I agree with Brie. I've also been on the register for years. For most people it has long been the case of something they meant to do but never got round to.

anneoctober
20-Jul-07, 20:59
Opt out sounds best idea, and will take the stress from both doctors & families at such a difficult time. Although I am on the register and have made my wishes known to my family, I would be afraid that they would "backtrack" on my request - I have this "thing" about anyone (including me!) touching my eyes, and my daughter , in particular knowing this has said that she could n't bear the idea of a surgeon "harvesting" my eyes. Aye'll have tae talk her round.... sorry, sick sense of humour creeping in...:eek:

anneoctober
20-Jul-07, 21:12
Jill, what that poor family must be going through, send them our love xxx

DarkAngel
20-Jul-07, 22:07
Im keeping an eye on that blog and the family..I really hope him the best..Poor Family!

Organs...They are much needed to save babies children n adults lives...I would love my organs to be donated after ive gone as i would love to see a bit of me live on in someone else who needed them more than me obviously..

Whitewater
20-Jul-07, 22:52
I think it is a great idea, I have been willing for many years and also gave blood regularly. I'm now too old to give blood (willing, but they won't accept) and I guess most of my organs are getting past it as well. I still feel fine but I guess an old organ going into a young person would not be much of a guarantee in the long term.

Kenn
21-Jul-07, 00:31
I have carried a donor card for years. if I have not worn my organs out when I die then I would be delighted to think that some one might see the wonders of this world through my eyes, have the chance to breath fresh air through my lungs, not to have to undergo the horrors of dialysis and any other ailment that I could assist with.
Surely the greatest gift we can give to another human is the gift of life.

oldmarine
21-Jul-07, 03:24
:DOpt out donation is a brilliant suggestion, how many lives will be saved if this goes ahead.
I carry a card and have made my wishes known to my family. Its not a nice thing to discuss but discuss it we must.

My wife and I have both done the same thing and carry cards to show. Excellent idea.