PDA

View Full Version : cursive is there a dif?

brandy
16-Jul-07, 17:17
ok guys, as ive had several dif. of opinions with mates on this one *Grins* on how to write cursive.. or joined writing as its called here..
this is how i was taught to right in cursive. is it actually dif. over here or is it just not done properly?
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/brandy28655/cursive.gif

brandy
16-Jul-07, 17:20
oh and do you write in cursive or print when you write anything?
i always write in cursive, i find it much easier than print.

George Brims
16-Jul-07, 17:41
Cursive varies not only by country but by region and by decade. The cursive I learned in the 60s in Watten came from a series of books from (I think) McDougall the school book publishers. I bet most Scots of that era learned the same style from the same workbook, but I don't know what the kids are taught nowadays.

The principal difference you will find Brandy is the lower case "r" - I assume from yours that you are on the West side of the Atlantic? People in the US sometimes peer at mine and don't know what it is, since I write in a British style. Of course that's on a good day when it's not a total scrawl. I'm getting arthritis in my finger joints now, so the writing is going from horrible to unreadable.

brandy
16-Jul-07, 17:50
i write in the exact same style as above.. *grins* when ive writ a capital G people tend to look at me like im mad.
but im from the south-east coast of ameica, state of north carolina.I would have started primary in 1982.
i know one of the little things hubby and i laugh over is i call the end of a sentence IE (.) a period where-as he calls it a full stop.

Angela
16-Jul-07, 18:02
I learnt to write in 1957 at the North School in Wick -very much the same style as yours, brandy.

However, when I moved to a different school in primary 6, I had to learn to write in a totally different "Italic script", which is much less round and curly - a lot simpler and more pointy. The capitals are basically the same as for printing.

We had to use fountain pens with special "oblique" nibs :roll: -I think the upward stroke of each letter had to be thin and the downward stroke thick -or was it the other way round???

Possibly as a result of this confusion, my writing's known to be pretty much illegible, and I'm very thankful to have this keyboard! :lol:

brandy
16-Jul-07, 18:21
hubby and i have been writing dif. things out just to see the dif. he said he has just about forgotten how to write!!
we were writing
The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog.
we were then comparing the handwriting.
i have found some intersting writing guides on the net.
heres one.. when i was looking up the above sentence
http://k-12.pisd.edu/guide/LA/Handwriting.pdf

Tristan
16-Jul-07, 23:34
ok guys, as ive had several dif. of opinions with mates on this one *Grins* on how to write cursive.. or joined writing as its called here..
this is how i was taught to right in cursive. is it actually dif. over here or is it just not done properly?
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/brandy28655/cursive.gif

Cursive and "joined writing as its called here.. " are two different things. The "joined writing" is more like printing that is joined up.