PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS 400D

cemmts
16-Jul-07, 16:18
Does anyone own a 400D as I am looking to buy one and would like to know other peoples opinions as it would be a mail order purchase. Cheers

buggyracer
16-Jul-07, 16:23
Great Camera, Im Pleased With Mine.

Colin Manson
16-Jul-07, 22:38
Great camera, I'm glad that I bought it.

A few types of people are unhappy with it, those that expect it to be a simple 'point and shoot' and those that don't read the manual.

If you want to read more about it then it would be worth reading DPReview, the 400D forum is here - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1031

If you have any questions just let me know.

Cheers
Colin

cemmts
17-Jul-07, 12:35
Ah cheer's the 2 models I am looking at Nikon D40 or 40x & Canon 400D with vertical grip. I’m not new to SLR having previously owned EOS 5's and 1n's. How do you find the 400's viewfinder as I’m lead to believe it’s not 100% of image?

buggyracer
17-Jul-07, 12:51
Ah cheer's the 2 models I am looking at Nikon D40 or 40x & Canon 400D with vertical grip. I’m not new to SLR having previously owned EOS 5's and 1n's. How do you find the 400's viewfinder as I’m lead to believe it’s not 100% of image?

nikon is just a poor mans canon, go canon you know it makes sense!! ;)

cemmts
17-Jul-07, 13:09
Strange I've used many Nikon's from the F90x to the F5 never found much difference. The EOS 5 was very idiot proof with its preset programmes which I found point less the ECF was great the 1n where faultless. I sold all my 35mm equipment before the digital boom to retain some money. I’ve never really need a camera for the last 5 years just looking to pick up something inexpensive just now

Riffman
17-Jul-07, 14:10
The viewfinder on the 400D, gives about 95% coverage which is as good as a normal SLR, the biggest difference is that it is physically smaller due to the mirror being smaller than 35mm full frame. It takes a little getting used to, but I prefer it as wearing glasses I can know see the whole of the frame, where as with film cameras I can only see the middle.

If you have had a 1N, then you will find that 400D tiny! It is really dinky, and rather hard to hold without the grip, if your budget will stretch, you might find the 30D more comfortable. (although the 20D is the same with a smaller screen).

I shoot the 350D with grip, its the same size as the 400D and is quite small.

I Nikons are good cameras too, don't rule them out. I would go with what fits your budget and whether you have lenses or not. The 400D will take all Canon EF lenses, I use a 28-80mm USMk1 on mine (although don't forget that the crop factor means that the lens is effectivly a 44-128mm).

The crop factor is great when using telephotos, my 300mm now becomes a 480mm equivalent!

My advice if you are after a fairly inexpensive way to get into digital would be to get a 350D, unlike the £490 price tag for the 400D, the 350D is only £380 new, or I got mine for £220 2nd hand mint condition!

Don't let the megapixel difference put you off, I print 8.2MP prints at 30x20" That is big!

Cheers,

Sam

PS If you want to have a play with mine drop me PM, I'm up here for a couple of weeks.

Colin Manson
17-Jul-07, 18:13
Strange I've used many Nikon's from the F90x to the F5 never found much difference.

I don't think there really is much difference, it generally comes down to personal preference the main points being - Features and Lens choice. I spent some time considering the D80 vs 400D but in the end I decided on the canon.

I think a major consideration with all DSLRs is dust and the Canon at least has a system in place for helping with that issue.

I've never used the Auto modes but I do use the User preset mode to adjust how the jpegs are created. I shoot using RAW+jpeg option in User controlled modes, mostly in AV and Manual mode. Post processing takes a lot of time and I like having the jpegs for a quick and easy display, I can then PP specific images that I think are worth the effort or ones that people ask for.

The camera is the cheapest part and the ability to use alternative lenses makes it another good option, I've already spent as much on my 17-70mm (Sigma) 50mm (Canon) and 70-300mm (Tamron) lenses than I did on the Canon 400D body. I'd hate to think what I would have paid for equivalent Nikon lenses.

Cheers
Colin

cemmts
18-Jul-07, 01:36
The 400D can be had with a basic lense for £350 now thats inc the canon £50 cash back. Riffman I might take you up on that offer.

Riffman
18-Jul-07, 12:02
That would be fine, I shoot the 350D, so you would be getting a 'better' camera than mine ;)

Let me know when you are around.

Cheers,

Sam