PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Little dog in distress

hammers
06-Jul-05, 23:13
Can anyone help me get Florinef tablets for treatment of Addisons disease, the same tablets are used for humans too. The factory that makes them is relocating and there seems to be shortage of them untill the 16th of this month.Any tablets will be replaced when we get more. Please help as this dog is very ill

Fran
07-Jul-05, 01:44
You could try putting an ad in the Groat and the P&J papers. Can Boots not help you?I do hope someone can help you. Have you tried other vets? Good luck :(

Moira
07-Jul-05, 01:52
Hi Hammers

Afraid I can't help you here - BUT - can't help but wonder where your Vet is in this. If your doggy has a known, diagnosed condition - would your Vet not be able to supply a regular source of tablets to treat accordingly ??

I know from experience that veterinary care is not cheap - but have found the quality of service here is better than anything the NHS can offer us humans. Hope you find a solution for your dog soon.

hammers
07-Jul-05, 07:27
Thank you both for your replies. Because the tablets are same as human ones it has been a case of getting a prescription from the vet and going to the chemist for them (the human drugs are nearly always cheaper than the animal form of them) I am in no way miscalling the vets or chemists up here but I agree, it must have been known that there was goin to be a limited supply whilst the makers were relocating. Going to try chemists furthur down the line today and we'll keep you updated. Thanks again

Liz
07-Jul-05, 17:02
Try this website. www.prescription-mexico.co.uk

Hope this helps and that your poor dog gets the medication it needs soon!

Liz

hammers
07-Jul-05, 17:08
We are getting tablets posted up from the vet in Tain. Thanks Fran, Moira and Liz for your concern and suggestions, I'll check out the website now Liz. Hopefully he'll make a good recovery now :o)

Liz
07-Jul-05, 17:12
Glad you're getting the tablets! I'm sorry but I don't think much of the Vets for not helping you get this medication! :(

Does your dog keep well on this medication?
There are a couple of good websites run by dog owners and breeders and you may get some helpful advice there. They are www.dogdata.co.uk and www.champdogs.co.uk

Liz

hammers
07-Jul-05, 18:50
The vets were helpful, today they phoned and authorised the prescription with the Tain vet. There is a shortage of this drug and I suppose the human patients had priority over the 4 legged ones as far as the chemists were concerned.He does really well on this medication so fingers x'd for him :)

Moira
07-Jul-05, 23:55
I'm relieved to see your update - just sorry you were placed in this worrying situation with the medication shortage in the first place. Hopefully your dog will now make a speedy recovery. Good luck

dsmcg
08-Jul-05, 12:01
The problems with sourcing Florinef were completely unexpected.
Even our suppliers were not aware of any potential shortages until supplies began to run out.
Part of the problem is that not all human Addison's sufferers are put on this drug, so the pharmacists tend to have a very small supply.
The usual alternative (hydrocotisone) is used in people, but does not suit dogs as well as florinef does.
If your dog is really not coping, we should try adjusting the dose of hydrocortisone.
If your dog is not eating, a drip may be needed to restore the balance.
Get in touch if you are worried: there are things we can do to try and stabilize your dog.

Liz
08-Jul-05, 14:52
Sorry if I was quick to judge! :( Now I see the situation I can understand that the Vet surgery was not at fault.

I've always been really pleased with the service provided by my Vet Surgery (crawl, crawl! :D )

Just hope the dog makes a good recovery !

cezzy1234
08-Jul-05, 16:29
Just take the dog to the vet if it is in a bad state they have to help they will probbely give you the right medason for the job

hammers
08-Jul-05, 16:48
Could i please make it clear that the dog has been to the vets and everything possible had been done. As i said in my first post it was a shortage of the drug that was causing concern and it was just an sos sent out in desperation at 10 oclock at night on behalf of a very close friend who does not have internet access