PDA

View Full Version : BT call to the number 123 ?

rfr10
16-Jul-07, 12:09
We pay our phone calls to Tiscali and line rental to BT however, our recent bill from BT stated that a call was made to the number 123 and we had been charged by BT for making this call and not Tiscali. Does anyone know what the number 123 is for and who it goes through to because so far, I haven't managed to find out from the BT phonebook or on the internet.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Angela
16-Jul-07, 12:14
Isn't it the speaking clock? Haven't used it for years, so I'm not entirely sure.:confused

rfr10
16-Jul-07, 12:17
Isn't it the speaking clock? Haven't used it for years, so I'm not entirely sure.:confused

Hrm.. it could possibly be. I'll check up on that one. If it is, I don't know how BT is charging us for that as we certainly have enough clocks in our house without the need to phone up and be charged for finding out the time.

Thanks for that Angela.

rfr10
16-Jul-07, 12:20
Just checked up on that and you're right.

That's puzzled me now :confused

Thanks again anyway.

obiron
16-Jul-07, 15:06
speaking clock. thank god thats bugged me on our bill. but most puzzling is nobody rings it. very odd.

BRIE
16-Jul-07, 15:10
were with tiscali for our phone too. you have to watch BT as theyve charged me several times for calls they shouldnt have! [evil]

2051donna
16-Jul-07, 15:42
Yeh its speaking clock.. Its a BT service so therefore u would get charged on bt bill.. its the same as using 1471 return or ringback.. there are BT services so would get charged through BT.. Bet u cant tell i work for bt! lol
But they should make it more obvious tho..

brandy
16-Jul-07, 15:45
never even knew about it.. of course i had to call it! *laughs*

laguna2
16-Jul-07, 15:47
Just checked up on that and you're right.

That's puzzled me now :confused

Thanks again anyway.

No little people in the house who might have pressed buttons and got 123 in the correct order?

rfr10
16-Jul-07, 16:07
No little people in the house who might have pressed buttons and got 123 in the correct order?

Hrm.. it's a possibility but very much doubt it as she's always supervised and never left alone. What I don't understand is..the bill states that two seperate calls were made. The 1st call was made at the exactly same time and on the exact same day as the second call and the duration was exactly the same and the cost was exactly the same. Now, don't tell me that someone could ring the number for a first time, put the phone down, lift it back up and call the number again and make the call last the exact same length of time, all in a matter of seconds?

Something sounds funny to me.

laguna2
16-Jul-07, 16:12
Hrm.. it's a possibility but very much doubt it as she's always supervised and never left alone. What I don't understand is..the bill states that two seperate calls were made. The 1st call was made at the exactly same time and on the exact same day as the second call and the duration was exactly the same and the cost was exactly the same. Now, don't tell me that someone could ring the number for a first time, put the phone down, lift it back up and call the number again and make the call last the exact same length of time, all in a matter of seconds?

Something sounds funny to me.

Sounds funny to me too - but I think that you are simply charged for making the call, not for the length of time you are on. That doesn't explain the day and time similarlity though.

Worth a phone call or email to BT to try to clear things up?

rfr10
16-Jul-07, 16:17
Sounds funny to me too - but I think that you are simply charged for making the call, not for the length of time you are on. That doesn't explain the day and time similarlity though.

Worth a phone call or email to BT to try to clear things up?

Tried phoning several times. Everytime, just a engaged tone. I would never actually attempt to email companies if you're complaining or enquiring about something. In the past, most just ignore you so I think a letter will be sent instead.

brew
16-Jul-07, 16:37
Answer to the issue with the 123 call.

If you have a sky box plugged into the line, the sky box call the BT talking clock from time to time to check that its clock is set right

rfr10
16-Jul-07, 16:39
Answer to the issue with the 123 call.

If you have a sky box plugged into the line, the sky box call the BT talking clock from time to time to check that its clock is set right

Don't have a Sky box or anything which requires an update of the time.

brew
16-Jul-07, 16:40
Dont know then, sorry and good luck