PDA

View Full Version : Tesco, Homebase and Argos

stivagorm
06-Jul-05, 22:49
Looking at some of the childish discussions previously and some of the valid ones, I have to agree with Completely Bananas. I am from kind ~of the Thurso side and I will be travelling through to Wick for shopping. Regardless if Tesco were going to get fuel pumps or not. The cost of fuel in Wick is cheaper and I am surprised that the fuel stations in Thurso have not yet been boycotted. It is nothing short of disgusting that for such a short distance they can justify the difference in cost. As if we are not being stung enough by nearly £1.00 per litre. I ASK YOU !

Naefearjustbeer
07-Jul-05, 00:56
looking forward to the new shops in Wick, I have been able to drive from Thurso to inverness to save money compared to somerfields taking all costs into consideration. So the short hop through to wick will be great.

linzy222
07-Jul-05, 12:45
I am looking forward to tesco's opening aswell, we often go to tesco's in inverness when we r travelling and its good it is open 24hrs, but don't think wick 1 will be open 24hrs, but it would be great if it did!!

Any idea when it will be open for business??

Will it be this year?

wicker
07-Jul-05, 14:01
i cant wiat for it either save us money, more jobs something i will def be applying for
good investment in wick bring more customers up our way and give wick a better living at last

katarina
07-Jul-05, 16:52
The cost of fuel in Wick is cheaper and I am surprised that the fuel stations in Thurso have not yet been boycotted. It is nothing short of disgusting that for such a short distance they can justify the difference in cost. As if we are not being stung enough by nearly £1.00 per litre. I ASK YOU !

It's only 40 miles to Wick. If everyone filled up in Wick, Thurso stations would soon get the message - can't understand why you don't. I mean the fuel comes into Scrabster harbour does it not, so by the arguement of transport costs, it should be cheaper in Thurso!

Jenni
08-Jul-05, 22:38
I am also looking forward to Tesco arriving in Wick. I will be doing my weekly shop there. The choice and prices at Tesco is far superior to any supermarket in Caithness, especially Somerfield, which is much more expensive than ever Safeway or Morrison's were. Argos will be great too. A lot of parents will be able to buy their kids toys etc for Christmas from Argos. Both the toy shops in Thurso are closed now (although Jessie Allans is supposed to be opening under new management) so it must be a nightmare looking for birthday and Christmas presents for the kids

Fran
09-Jul-05, 02:44
:D I hope Tesco will come to wick but im not so sure after reading protests in the "Groat"from local people and an MP who doesnt even live up North.Hope the planning committee dont refuse Tesco again like they did previously. The choice should be up to the people and the majority of us want it here. it will bring more shoppers to the town so surely local shops will benefit also :lol:

rfr10
09-Jul-05, 10:52
Well they've asked for planning permission and they are waiting for it to be accepted.

midgemagnet
09-Jul-05, 23:11
I really do hope Tesco et al come to Wick - much as I like Caithness, it does need it. I've yet to meet someone who does not want it here !

I lived in West Cumbria in the late 80's, had 1 small supermarket and lots of local petrol stations - fuel was some of the most expensive in the UK - sound familiar?

Well a Sainsbury's was built in about 1992, with a petrol station - within a week all the local stations had lowered their prices to pretty much match. Not one of them went bust or was sold on - they are all still there !

Long live Wick Tesco's and its petrol station.

:D