PDA

View Full Version : "Petty" Crime

Loafer
15-Jul-07, 16:59
I notice on the main page of the Org that Thurso (and Wick) Police are looking for info of "petty" crime. They include vandalism of cars and houses etc.

Well on Friday night my car became a victim of "petty" crime. Poor Shug (our pet name) had a window smashed which mean't a call to the insurance company at 2am and then onto the glass company to arrange sorting the car. They were apologetic when they said that the repair could not take place until Monday. I have my in-law's staying with me at the moment and we were really looking forward to a run to Strathy beach for a picnic today. My mother-in-law cannot walk very far, so a nice stroll in this lovely weather was out. We are now basically house-bound today, one of the best days of the year.

On top of this, we will also have to cough up £50 excess to have our window repaired. Not a lot of money, both my wife and myself work. But why the hell should we have to spend our hard-earned cash on some drugged-up or drunk numpty who decides to smash a window in the name of "good crack".

"Petty" crime? I beg to differ.

Hell, I am only 36 and if I knocked on someones door and ran away, I was petrified incase my faither found out!! A real wild rebel would kick a ball at a house!

The goons who did this are 15 years old. They will get a VERY soft rap on the knuckles and say "Don't you dare do that again, do you hear me?" It is time for the belt back at schools and public humiliation for any ned who carries out this wanton vandalism.

A VERY angry Loafer.

justine
15-Jul-07, 17:15
well a few months back some sod put a wheelie bin through our car damageing both doors smashing all the windows.We paid 60 excess, and then had to replace the door...Police took finger prints but nothing. They have never caught them and i dont think it would have helped if they had. The chances are they could not of afforded to pay for the damage anyway...

Petty crime is on the increase and will never go away no matter what we or the police do....Fact of life im affraid...

NickInTheNorth
15-Jul-07, 17:21
Petty crime is on the increase and will never go away no matter what we or the police do....Fact of life im affraid...

I have to disagree with the second part of the bit I quoted.

Petty crime will continue to increase no matter what the police do, because far too few people believe that it has anything to do with them.

However, if we all took our role as citizens a wee bit more seriously then we could do something about it.

We all too often see things and do nothing. See bad behaviour challenge it, or report it. Know who did something - speak to them, or their parents.

If we would all take more personal responsibility then we could make a difference, but unfortunately this is not liley to happen because far to often people shrug their shoulders and say nothing to do with me.

johno
15-Jul-07, 17:24
A lot of this has to fall back on the parents of these vandals.
Do the parents never stop and wonder what their kids are up to or are they just glad that they are out of their hair for a good few hours.
If its kids that are doing this and if they are known why should the victim have to shell out good cash, why cant the parents be held accountable & pay for the damage incurred by their offspring, at least till they reach the age where they can be held accountable themselves.
bloody maddening [disgust] [mad]

Marty McFly
15-Jul-07, 17:26
The goons who did this are 15 years old.

So, you know exacty who did this? :confused

justine
15-Jul-07, 17:31
A lot of this has to fall back on the parents of these vandals.
Do the parents never stop and wonder what their kids are up to or are they just glad that they are out of their hair for a good few hours.
If its kids that are doing this and if they are known why should the victim have to shell out good cash, why cant the parents be held accountable & pay for the damage incurred by their offspring, at least till they reach the age where they can be held accountable themselves.
bloody maddening [disgust] [mad]
Unfortunately it is not always kids that do it.Adults are jsut a culpable to the crime of vansdalism...As it has already been pointed out they do it for a good laugh, at whos expense though..Now i am a mother and i am the lucky one. I am not saying they are angels but they are not out on an evening hanging about bored and causing someone grief. That is there own choice not mine...I have always instilled into my kids Dont do to others what you dont want done to yourself and so far so good, they are listening...Plus they know what would happen if they did.....

Loafer
15-Jul-07, 17:38
So, you know exacty who did this? :confused

Yep, we have been informed by the police.

The Loafer

Marty McFly
15-Jul-07, 18:09
Pity there was no way we could name and shame them on here. Then we would all know who to keep an eye on! ;)

changilass
15-Jul-07, 18:39
We all too often see things and do nothing. See bad behaviour challenge it, or report it. Know who did something - speak to them, or their parents.

If we would all take more personal responsibility then we could make a difference, but unfortunately this is not liley to happen because far to often people shrug their shoulders and say nothing to do with me.

Its not always wise to confront these folks, unless you like having a black eye, or your own property damaged [disgust]

Karen
15-Jul-07, 18:43
Not all 15 year old kids are thugs, my son is nearly 15, has long hair and skates, that doesn't mean he will cause trouble and damage peoples property. Yes I do know where he is but sometimes when he is in town he gets dirty looks, people beep their horn at him and he has even had someone put their finger up at him. For what? because some kids his age aren't like him? Does this set a good example or is he expected to be bad?

changilass
15-Jul-07, 18:47
Dont think anyone has said that all 15yr olds are thugs, if he is receiving this treatment just because of his age and looks then it is totally unfair.

NickInTheNorth
15-Jul-07, 19:02
Its not always wise to confront these folks, unless you like having a black eye, or your own property damaged [disgust]

The problem perfectly illustrated.

If we wish to return to a decent society, we need to be prepared to take some personal risk to achieve it.

Camel Spider
15-Jul-07, 19:20
I have an ex forces buddy who is now a copper. He recently went to court to give evidence in a criminal damage case where the pikey little chav pleaded guilty and got fined £80 .. and it cost nearly £200 to have my mate and his Sgt at the court to give their evidence!!, believe me the Police are just as hacked off as we are and they are up to their eyes in paperwork.

If you catch someone vandalising or breaking into your property the phrase you need to remember is "I used the minimum amount of force I deemed necessary" .. ;)

changilass
15-Jul-07, 19:24
Go for it Nick, personally I will protect myself and my family first, there is no way I would put my son at risk to confront someone, just so I can say I did my bit.

This does not mean I wouldn't phone the police if I saw something happening, but no way would I get involved in the first instance. my family are too precious to me.

Ricco
15-Jul-07, 22:18
The real criminals are us - the public. We commit a crime by being law-abiding, by working hard, by saving our dosh to have a decent home for our families (and that's a crime as well - how dare we be decent, eh!), by having a car, etc. We're putting temptation in the way of these poor deprived individuals who haven't had a real break in this cruel world... nothing but one bad deal after another.

Or, at least that is the way I feel we get treated most of the time. :confused

Lolabelle
15-Jul-07, 22:23

The problem perfectly illustrated.

If we wish to return to a decent society, we need to be prepared to take some personal risk to achieve it.

I kinda agree with you there Nick, as I think I am just as bad as the nixt person, not exactly the same scenario, but same apathy.
The other week I was at the supermarket paying for my groceries and the lady behind me carefully placed some goods down the side of the child seat as if it has slipped. I watched her do this and couldn't believe my eyes. I tried staring at her, but she didn't look back. I stood there willing the check out girl to see the stuff, but she didn't. After hesitating and wondering what to do, I left. I am ashamed to say, I wasn't sure of her reaction so I didn't do anything. I wish I hadn't done that as we all complain about the prices, and people thieving doesn't help. but instead give the big companies the justification for the huge prices they charge. Anyway, I should have spoken up. I feel quite lousy still over my lack of action. Only a small thing I know, but still it's an attitude. [disgust]

rfr10
15-Jul-07, 22:35
Can someone tell me what we're trying to get at here please? I'm a bit lost and can't totally see what this disgussion is about.

karia
15-Jul-07, 22:45
Hmm!

A few years ago now my elderly mum was outside the Co-op when a robbery took place.

Two young lads came 'spinning out' at great speed, second one knocked into her and she lost her balance.

He stopped, turned, came back & ensured she was totally stable on her feet before continuing on his 'getaway!'

Presumably 'corporate theft' was one thing to him & personal injury another!

I know that if he'd not been robbin' the place in the first inst...but, still nice to see some honour, and it changes the way that she remembers an otherwise scary incident!

Nobody is all bad!

Karia

Oddquine
15-Jul-07, 22:53
Can someone tell me what we're trying to get at here please? I'm a bit lost and can't totally see what this disgussion is about.

I assume that it is the rise in petty vandalism, the inability of the police to combat it, the reluctance of the population on the whole to report what they see and the waste of time taking the culprits to court because they either get a smack on the wrist or a paltry fine.

I must say that I agree with the suggestion that, in the case of underage children, parents should be responsible for their actions.........maybe being hit in the pocket would make them more interested in what their children do when they are out and about.

rfr10
15-Jul-07, 23:01
I assume that it is the rise in petty vandalism, the inability of the police to combat it, the reluctance of the population on the whole to report what they see and the waste of time taking the culprits to court because they either get a smack on the wrist or a paltry fine.

I must say that I agree with the suggestion that, in the case of underage children, parents should be responsible for their actions.........maybe being hit in the pocket would make them more interested in what their children do when they are out and about.

Ah right, thanks for that.

I don't see why the age that you have to be before you can be put in jail is 16. People over the age of round about 13 know exactly what they are doing. They should be responsible for their actions. I believe that if you are over the age of 12, you can be held responsible for committing crime so, why can't they be put in jail? What good does the childrens panel do? I don't see them do an awful lot here with badly behaved children. What does the childrens panel actually do?

I assume, the word petty doesnt imply that it was committed by a young person does it? I assume that it means a pathetic crime which only someone naieve enough would do?

changilass
15-Jul-07, 23:28
Childrens panel isnt just for dealing with jeuvenile deilnquents. Its also there to oversee the quality of care and other issues arising from children being placed in care for whatever reason. They do a very good job in very difficult circumstances.

rfr10
15-Jul-07, 23:55
Childrens panel isnt just for dealing with jeuvenile deilnquents. Its also there to oversee the quality of care and other issues arising from children being placed in care for whatever reason. They do a very good job in very difficult circumstances.

So, do they make the decision if a child should be put into care because of their behaviour?

Camel Spider
16-Jul-07, 00:20
Anyone know what John Smeaton is up to these days ??, maybe he can take on the petty criminals next ..;)